Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He has winning goals against Chelsea, Manchester City (hat trick), Arsenal (brace), Manchester United and Liverpool. Several against Blues and the Albion.

He's a big game player. Always has been. That is completely undeniable.

I have to take issue with the man city hat trick. They weren't 'big' then. Even Richards was getting games ;)

8 hours ago, avfc456 said:

Gabby and Gustede could potentially be very decent pairing at championship level IMO, granted they are not upto premiership standard 

If Gabby and Gastede are our front 2 next season we will stand absolutely no chance of promotion. IMO. 

Edited by av1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

If Gabby and Gastede are our front 2 next season we will stand absolutely no chance of promotion. IMO. 

If Gubby and Gistede are our front line, I think we'll score more than we have this year, but I don't want to see us wellying to the ball all season. I'd prefer Gob and Ayew.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Fair enough.

He scored an equaliser then got an assist and scored the last goal in extra time against them in the league cup, 12/13.

Yeah fair play, he played well that game. Away I believe.

The hat trick was the 'perfect' hat trick iirc. Thought he would really push on from that. Turned out to be his peak.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

We need an unlikely hero from somewhere. I've got my fingers crossed for Gabriel.

Well, he's not as fast or as strong as he used to be, and I doubt he's fresh from the fight, but if recent pictures are anything to go by, he's definitely larger than life. 

• Like 2

I hadn't realised he'd been fighting. We need someone to come through though, be it Agbonlahor or someone else. I remember a few seasons ago when Sunderland had their great escape and it was goals from an unlikely source, in Connor Wickham that ended up saving them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, useless said:
Just now, useless said:

I hadn't realised he'd been fighting. We need someone to come through though, be it Agbonlahor or someone else. I remember a few seasons ago when Sunderland had their great escape and it was goals from an unlikely source, in Connor Wickham that ended up saving them.

We need an unlikely hero from somewhere. I've got my fingers crossed for Gabriel.

I remember a few seasons ago when Derby didn't have their great escape, and it was goals ( a lack of) from an unlikely source, than ended up taking them down.

In short, I would kill for Kenny **** Miller and Robert pissing Earnshaw right now.

So Gabby has the opportunity to be Top Dog and score our way to safety.....

More likely, he's aware that Garde will walk if/when we go down so won't lift a finger (or boot) in the hope we sign another wideboy manager like Sherwood and have the life of riley again.

23 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No, I'm not. I was comparing them statistically to highlight a point. I'm clearly never going to persuade you to take a more open minded view, you have made your opinion abundantly clear.

Doug; Stats really can be anything you want them to be. Take the pass completion aspect if you wish. Players such as Ince, Batty, Wilkins, Carrick, Hargreaves to name but a few would all probably have faired better than the likes of Alan Hudson, Tony Currie, Glenn Hoddle, Matt Le Tissier and even our very own Alex Cropley and Sid  in the opta statistics, simply because the latter group would try things with the ball, that the former group would not. So you can see stat's don't show the bigger picture.

Doug; Stats really can be anything you want them to be. Take the pass completion aspect if you wish. Players such as Ince, Batty, Wilkins, Carrick, Hargreaves to name but a few would all probably have faired better than the likes of Alan Hudson, Tony Currie, Glenn Hoddle, Matt Le Tissier and even our very own Alex Cropley and Sid  in the opta statistics, simply because the latter group would try things with the ball, that the former group would not. So you can see stat's don't show the bigger picture.

Sure.

But goals and assists for a striker? Not exactly comparable.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sure.

But goals and assists for a striker? Not exactly comparable.

But Doug in which years did he regularly hit 10-16 goals? The best I can recall is 13 in 09/10 or maybe your counting cup games as well? If so I stand corrected 

But Doug in which years did he regularly hit 10-16 goals? The best I can recall is 13 in 09/10 or maybe your counting cup games as well? If so I stand corrected 

League goals only?

9 (wing), 11, 12, 13. Nothing amazing granted, but I never claimed he was amazing. 6-8 assists every season too, as previously stated and plenty of "big game" goals.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

League goals only?

9 (wing), 11, 12, 13. Nothing amazing granted, but I never claimed he was amazing. 6-8 assists every season too, as previously stated and plenty of "big game" goals.

Doug with all due respect you can keep your bang average below double figures per season striker who scores in " big games" that no longer define our season. 

Doug with all due respect you can keep your bang average below double figures per season striker who scores in " big games" that no longer define our season. 

Well, first of all they're not below double figures.

It's undeniable he scored in big games.

I've not once said during this exchange I think he's any good now.

Â