Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Has the ability but needs to use it more effectively at times. When he manages that he does great as can be seen first half.

Often he seems to be more interested in trying to physically win the opponent player instead of winning them via football. Like the goal we conceded, he was only interested in grappling with Lescott, perhaps to show he's the stronger player or something, and completely ignored the ball.

Or a through ball that he needs to tussle with an opponent, he focuses exclusively on battling physically with the opponent alone instead of channeling his effort to get the ball instead.

If he can play like that running off Benteke's flick ons then he will score the goals to keep us up.

Needs to stop trying to get into battles and going wide and just stick to using his ability which is pace.

Good performance last night

If he can play like that running off Benteke's flick ons then he will score the goals to keep us up.

Needs to stop trying to get into battles and going wide and just stick to using his ability which is pace.

Good old-fashioned big-man/fast-man combo worked well last night - effective is what we need, so I'm all for it.

• Like 1

Don't want to sound churlish, but one swallow does not make a summer. Get ready Gabby fans for another run of complete dross.

Could well happen - it has before. If he's managed well, he could be very effective though.

That's the Gabby that we need but I think he is only effective against teams that play a certain way. Oddly enough though I would have thought it wouldn't have been against a West Brom side who under Pulis are notorious for camping on the edge of their box but for some reason last night there seemed to be a lot of space for him to run in behind.

I like this idea of playing 2 up top and if Sherwood can get the right combination of strikers for the right games then our goals scored column should shoot right up.

Good old-fashioned big-man/fast-man combo worked well last night - effective is what we need, so I'm all for it.

Gabby was at his best with Carew, he works well with a big man so he can run the inside channels looking for the flicks etc, its where he is best

The often tired criticism read about Gabby is his lack of intelligence but I think the goal last night proved that is not the case...

Coming back from an offside position and interpreting play, getting in the right position etc

The often tired criticism read about Gabby is his lack of intelligence but I think the goal last night proved that is not the case...

Coming back from an offside position and interpreting play, getting in the right position etc

so what does it prove, he can do it, but chooses not to do it too often? :(

Arsenal, Liverpool, Sunderland and West Brom are the teams Gabby seems to be very effective against and its no surprise that all 4 have static and immobile defenders he can take advantage of

I don't think Lambert played to his strengths to be fair. Lets see how he goes under Sherwood.

THIS!

Lambert and McLeish both wanted him to play a way that he couldn't (like on the wing when its clear he cant cross a ball for toffee)...

Gabby is a poacher, plays off of flick ons and burns people for pace...

• Like 1

You know from the first couple of minutes in a game if he's turned up, he has those games where you think he is brilliant, a constant menace but doesn't do it nearly enough. I like the plan of getting it forward to Benteke/Gabby quicker though he has pace to burn and if he's in behind then you aren't catching him hes proved that time and time again its usually the finish that lets him down.

Once Gabby is under pressure from a defender and doesn't have time to think, he'll usually hit the target. When he's clear through, you worry

Indeed. Those times when it's 1 on 1 with the keeper, I'm cringing long before he's taken his shot.

To me he's not as bad a one on one finisher as made out, Vassell was far worse, I never believed he would score one on one. JPA wasn't the best at it either.

I'm not really a fan,

but I am a fan of seeing what the new manager can do with him.....and giving Gabby a bit of encouragement or any other player i might not fancy....when they play better.

you have to give credit when credit is due.

Â