Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

This is not a dig at Gabby as it's not his fault at all, but sometimes it as much a curse having him as it is a grace because his blistering pace has been an overbearing factor on the way we've played down the years.

I think having a bank of three creative players behind a lone striker is the way to go for many games, rather than the three up front. I'd have thought the acquisition of a creative player would have been more handy than Kozak.

Gabby gave me the highlight of the day :) sadly it wasnt in game, the bit where the announcer started going on about stans charity game from last week and showed the highlights, all of Gabby flooring the 1D guy in slow motion in repeat while playing a 1D song

I'm disappointed 4 games into the season he still hasn't scored. We cant keep relying on one man to get all our goals. Our only other league goal has come from Luna. Last season the front three scored nearly all our goals. We need one or two of our midfield players to step up. I notice our old player Peter Whittingham scored a nice goal for Cardiff. He actually has a fantastic goal scoring record in the championship and his set pieces are second to none. He's one player I wish MON never sold.

I think what happened after Gabby went off showed how good a player he's become. With him on the pitch we looked so much more skillful and dynamic up forward. He seems to open up space for everyone around him.

He was touch and go a few seasons ago as to whether he'd be in the side long term, but we look so much more dangerous with him on the pitch. 

No one can deny Gabby is a real handful. I always felt he was when he played up through the middle, I thought he looked particularly good playing the lone striker role a few years ago now. Of course when he played there though, people could justifiably point at his goals ratio.

Playing in the position he does now though, I would rate 12 goals last year as a very decent return from him.

Yesterday his threat and the effect he has on us became a lot more obvious after he went off, as others have said. He is still a very important player for us. On his day he can make things happen against anyone, and he turns up in big matches.

All I worry about for now with him is if Lambert decides to go with both Benteke and Kozak playing as a pair up front. Because then Gabby would need to add a lot more crossing, quality wing play, and protection to the left back to his game.

People can knock Gabby's scoring record all they want but they cannot question the effort, hard work and the number of goals he creates for the team. I am sure he would score more if he played down the middle with someone creating chances for him, for a change.

According to Physioroom 

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

he has an ankle/foot injury, return date unknown. Presume that means he's had it scanned, still being assessed.

Let's hope he's back soon. He has turned into a very experienced, influential forward for us and we will be poorer without him in the side.

18 March 2006 Gabby makes his Villa Prem Debut, really hope he stays another 3 to celebrate 10 years.. My favourite villa player other than Sylla, and all time leading scorer, would be nice to see him break the 100 mark in Villa Prem Goals before he retires, go on gabby ... going to be missed this season when injured as he's really come of age into a role I feel now ...

Are there two Gabby Agbonlahors out there, because the one I'm watching bears no similarity to the one others seem to see. His career average of league goals is now in single figures per season. Awesome. One of the worst finishers I've ever seen, that miss against Newcastle being but one of many throughout his career. No guile and as Peter Withe commented a while back, he doesn't work defenders enough. Take away the pace, and their aint much left. It's why ,unlike so many other top players at VP, no other big club has ever seriously tried to buy him. It's why he has so few England caps. Hit and miss player at best, and it's usually a miss.

Having few or many England caps isn't necessary an indicator of a player's quality.

In Dennis Mortimers case and indeed Brian Little and John Gidmans cases I would agree. But they played in an era when England had a great deal of very good players to choose from. To be frank, this era England are pretty pants. He doesn't get a look in because other fairly average players are simply better than him.

Edited by meregreen

Are there two Gabby Agbonlahors out there, because the one I'm watching bears no similarity to the one others seem to see. His career average of league goals is now in single figures per season. Awesome. One of the worst finishers I've ever seen, that miss against Newcastle being but one of many throughout his career. No guile and as Peter Withe commented a while back, he doesn't work defenders enough. Take away the pace, and their aint much left. It's why ,unlike so many other top players at VP, no other big club has ever seriously tried to buy him. It's why he has so few England caps. Hit and miss player at best, and it's usually a miss.

by the sounds of it Yes it is a different one you are watching

Â