Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

From the Prem I'd choose Agbonlahor firstly, Hooper (injured possibly?), Crouch and probably even Graham over Carroll to start with.

From the Championship I'd give Deeney a look in more than anybody as I think he'd suit how England play, but what about Glenn Murray? Charlie Austin? Even Nugent bagged 16 last season in the league.

It really isn't difficult, we have strikers like Murray banging in 30 league goals last season yet gets completely overlooked because he plays in the Championship, Gary Hooper has finally moved down to the Premier League but has Champions League experience in abundance, Peter Crouch still has a fantastic goal scoring record for England too.

Sick to death of our National side, been coming for a long while but I've pretty much stopped following the ongoings now. Acting as if Gabby doesn't even exist has led me to having no faith at all in Hodgson although in fairness to him it's pretty obvious that whoever is appointed has no real say in squad selection.

Amen.

From the BBC website after the Moldova game:

Despite Southampton's Lambert and Jermain Defoe of Tottenham being the only orthodox strikers in the squad currently available to face Ukraine, Hodgson is not planning to call up a replacement.

"I suppose one would, if there were very obvious candidates," the 66-year-old said.

"I think we worked very hard through the candidates, and with Andy Carroll still injured, you would have to be going way back to think of people to bring in."

So Gabby is way back somewhere in Hodgsons mind then

What an insulting comment by Hodgson as far as Gabby is concerned.

• Like 1

Just got five live on with 'Chappers'. 'Chappers' directly ask Paul 'The guvnor' Ince and BBC expert 'Lawro' about the possibility of Agbonlahor being called up and they didnt even mention his name.  Even if he scores 15 goals this season there is no way Gabby will be in the England squad. Hodgson for some reason doesn't like him.

But the red-hot Villa striker fears national team boss Roy Hodgson is picking players on reputations not form.

“He’s got players in there, even if they are not playing – the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain.

“He’s not played much and then he gets a call-up. It’s different to when Fabio was here, because he picked players on form. But it’s the manager’s choice and I have just got to concentrate on Villa.

“I have always said that. Club comes first, and if country comes then it comes. But if the call comes then I am ready, of course. We will have to wait and see.

“It’s hard to say if I am playing as well now as I was when I was called up. Playing for England is always a pleasure – but the main thing for me is playing for Villa and getting them safe.”

I think...

This is Gabby..not SikhInTrinity

Edited by AVFC_Hitz

Never really took Woy to be a fully paid-up member of the FA Backslappers Club. They really hate it when players publicly show loyalty to their clubs, rather than committing their souls to a bi-ennial also ran.

Gabby has heart, a huge Villa heart and he's best off out of it.

That comment from Hodgson about calling a replacement is laughable. Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Carroll all out. Anyone else I'm missing?

Pretty much stone wall Agbonlahor's never making the England squad again whilst Roy is manager. He certainly should be in the squad over Defoe right now imo.

If you're not playing regularly for your club you shouldn't be in the squad. Unless of course you've been injured and are quite obviously a touch above the rest i.e a Rooney or Gerrard. Guys like Milner & Defoe shouldn't be getting picked if they don't even get picked to play by their club.

He does deserve a call-up based on performances, but I do remember him pulling out of squad after squad a few years ago due to 'injuries'

There is a batch of players that always do this, Kyle Walker is another who always pulls out, and I do kind of support the view that if they don't want to play when there isn't a WC coming, then they shouldn't be picked full stop. It's part of the problem England are having now, half of the players aren't as passionate as they should be about playing for their country. I slated Rickie Lambert's arrival the other week before he scored his first goal, but at least he has 100% passion when playing for England.

But the red-hot Villa striker fears national team boss Roy Hodgson is picking players on reputations not form.

“He’s got players in there, even if they are not playing – the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain.

“He’s not played much and then he gets a call-up. It’s different to when Fabio was here, because he picked players on form. But it’s the manager’s choice and I have just got to concentrate on Villa.

“I have always said that. Club comes first, and if country comes then it comes. But if the call comes then I am ready, of course. We will have to wait and see.

“It’s hard to say if I am playing as well now as I was when I was called up. Playing for England is always a pleasure – but the main thing for me is playing for Villa and getting them safe.”

I think...

This is Gabby..not SikhInTrinity

SikhInTrinity for England

• Like 1

He does deserve a call-up based on performances, but I do remember him pulling out of squad after squad a few years ago due to 'injuries'

There is a batch of players that always do this, Kyle Walker is another who always pulls out, and I do kind of support the view that if they don't want to play when there isn't a WC coming, then they shouldn't be picked full stop. It's part of the problem England are having now, half of the players aren't as passionate as they should be about playing for their country. I slated Rickie Lambert's arrival the other week before he scored his first goal, but at least he has 100% passion when playing for England.

I think it might have to do with the dressing room atmosphere and tone, I remember Paul Scholes talking about it year or so back. Players from smaller teams trying to get a move to the bigger teams and players from the big teams talking to the other players about transfers etc. Gabby seems like a player who wants to play in a squad which has very good spirit and togetherness, which is probably why he's gotten his "mojo" back in Villa.

I actually dont think Gabby gives a shit. The England team is a joke, much like international football these days, all very boring and all anyone cares about is getting back to the normal league games.

Id have loved Woy to call Gabby up for the game in two days time and Gabby reject it and say he's busy playing in Stan's charity game.

From the BBC website after the Moldova game:

Despite Southampton's Lambert and Jermain Defoe of Tottenham being the only orthodox strikers in the squad currently available to face Ukraine, Hodgson is not planning to call up a replacement.

"I suppose one would, if there were very obvious candidates," the 66-year-old said.

"I think we worked very hard through the candidates, and with Andy Carroll still injured, you would have to be going way back to think of people to bring in."

So Gabby is way back somewhere in Hodgsons mind then

What an insulting comment by Hodgson as far as Gabby is concerned.

Woy is an idiot. His squad selections have consistently demonstrated this since his apointment.

Â