All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

To be honest I don't dispute that the usr of Zionism as a word can set off alarm bells, but it's use should always be seen in the context of the speaker. That is possibly hopelessly naive, and specifying the Israeli State would avoid this a bit, but even so the presumption of the worst connotations is infuriating. I know it's a huge hornets nest, but there always seems to me an extreme response to comments that to me are suggesting, that there is a political imperative amongst some quarters to ensure they absolutely do not incur the wrath of the Israeli lobby, foregoing a potentially useful if precarious discussion in favour of flagging up an irrelevant position loud and clear.

Edited by Rodders

• 1 month later...

CjK4gpKXEAAT4Tn.jpg

Nothing new here, but front page of the Grauniad talks about the dwindling numbers of Christians.

I would bet that within the 44% that said they were Christian, a good number will be the fairweather, non-practicing type that only seem to go to a church for weddings, baptisms, Christmas and the like, so the numbers are probably even less that reported. Progress, nonetheless.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

My post from the 'ISIS' thread that might be better suited here. Originally asked in a slightly mischievous manner, I will be interested in any serious responses, presumably from those who have a faith.

What makes one old book of prophecy better than another? Is the Old Testament best because it is older and more 'original' than subsequent teachings? Is the New Testament better because it is updated and corrects the bugs of the Old Testament? Or is the Quran more modern and therefore better? So is Judaism, Christianity or Islam the best? Then which sect to follow? Or should one turn to a newer, perhaps cooler religion? Then again, my big belly might suit Buddhism. Someone new to religion could easily be confused.

It's impossible to answer objectively isn't? You are either religious and therefore have already made your choice (or more likely had no choice and had your religion put upon you) or you think they are all sky fairies. 

3 minutes ago, brommy said:

My post from the 'ISIS' thread that might be better suited here. Originally asked in a slightly mischievous manner, I will be interested in any serious responses, presumably from those who have a faith.

What makes one old book of prophecy better than another? Is the Old Testament best because it is older and more 'original' than subsequent teachings? Is the New Testament better because it is updated and corrects the bugs of the Old Testament? Or is the Quran more modern and therefore better? So is Judaism, Christianity or Islam the best? Then which sect to follow? Or should one turn to a newer, perhaps cooler religion? Then again, my big belly might suit Buddhism. Someone new to religion could easily be confused.

I don't see how anyone remotely well-educated can start to believe in any of them if they have previously grown up with no religion.  Then if you're born into a certain religion then you're going to believe that one is best, so there is no real unbiased answer really.

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't see how anyone remotely well-educated can start to believe in any of them if they have previously grown up with no religion.  Then if you're born into a certain religion then you're going to believe that one is best, so there is no real unbiased answer really.

Generally and objectively that tends to be one of the better rebuttals of religions and their belief that they're the true one.  That essentially the sky fairy you grow up believing in or the flavour of fable that you believe in is massively down to geography, and what part of this rock you were born on.

10 minutes ago, brommy said:

What makes one old book of prophecy better than another?

I reckon price has to come into it. You don't want to overpay for a paperback copy of The New Testament, when you can pick up a hard back of the Mabinogion for half the price. I'm told The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a bit on the expensive side. SO value for money is key, for me.

Most people seem to think that the holy trinity of capitalism, consumerism and instant gratification, works perfectly for them.

There are many books which people quote from constantly: the Argos laminated book of dreams, seems to be a particular favourite.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

the Argos laminated book of dreams

I spot an oxymoron, or something. The Argos book of promises of mild disappointment and regret more like. Still, people nick the little pens. 

27 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Most people seem to think that the holy trinity of capitalism, consumerism and instant gratification, works perfectly for them.

There are many books which people quote from constantly: the Argos laminated book of dreams, seems to be a particular favourite.

If your copy is laminated I think that says more about you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brommy said:

Religion is a hereditary disease in that you get it from your parents. The ability to believe fairy tales to be true requires childhood indoctrination and this is why so many believe in "something out there" despite the complete lack of any evidence. Of the books you mention, they all contain a lot of good things and a lot of bad things. If any of them were written today, they'd all be banned from schools (and frankly wouldn't get published without a serious editing).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, limpid said:

Religion is a hereditary disease in that you get it from your parents. The ability to believe fairy tales to be true requires childhood indoctrination

Not always. In my experience there are three types of believer:

1. Those who get it from their family and wider cultural group. By far the biggest group. 

2. Those who talk themselves into it, based on some spurious pseudo logic. They may have no religious background, but feel some psychological need to believe in/belong to something for emotional security. 

3. Those who claim to have had an out-of-the-blue revelation of some apparently supernatural form. Often (but not always) people who have had bad experiences (abuse, PTSD, drugs, alcoholism, etc.) 

I'd say those categories, singly or in combination, cover 99% of believers. 

• Like 1

@mjmooney I don't believe 2 is likely to happen to people who as children where taught to think sceptically. I can't comment on 3 as I don't know enough about it.It seems to me like you'd have to already accept the "concept" of supernatural in order for this to even occur to someone.

Â