All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I sure the dudes above would remove there face covering if asked. I don't think you could generally ask a Muslim women to remove here face mask so you could have a chat.

Your way of the mark with your examples chap, way off.

xenophobic? I doubt that. I have no problems with head scarfs, turbans, etc. There's a need in devout Muslim countries im sure, but here, I don't think its a good way to fit in English society. An that's what we all want here surely, a society that all gets on.

So, if I'm way off the mark, what is the minimum percentage of face you find acceptable?

I will just repeat, I don't like the niqab and I'd prefer them not to be worn. But my questions above would need answering if we decide to persuade people not to wear them. You'll need to prescribe what's the least I can expose.

Could you chat to me if I had glasses and a baseball cap? My winter football dress code is a docker coat, collar turned up, black cashmere scarf pulled up bank robber stylee, glasses and a bucket hat down over the rim of my glasses. It's a classic look. What's the minimum I would need to remove for us to have a half time chat?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So, if I'm way off the mark, what is the minimum percentage of face you find acceptable?

I will just repeat, I don't like the niqab and I'd prefer them not to be worn. But my questions above would need answering if we decide to persuade people not to wear them. You'll need to prescribe what's the least I can expose.

Could you chat to me if I had glasses and a baseball cap? My winter football dress code is a docker coat, collar turned up, black cashmere scarf pulled up bank robber stylee, glasses and a bucket hat down over the rim of my glasses. It's a classic look. What's the minimum I would need to remove for us to have a half time chat?

I couldn't talk to like that no! Unless it was freezing an outside, I'm sure most of us would remove something covering there face particularly mouth to speak with them. Surely you wouldn't wear big dark glasses inside when you are trying to communicate with someone. Its seen phycologically as a barrier.

The bike helmet is a good one. Would you really have a conversation with someone wearing a helmet?

Nowhere in the Koran does it say that women have to cover up.  It also started in the Middle East because of dust storms, i have never experienced a dust storm in Britain.  Those that only the eyes be left uncovered have clearly not discovered that the sexiest part of a woman is her eyes as she says it all with them.

4 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Your pants.

Step 6 of the Reverend D Wayne Love's 12 step plan to being a member of his church? Already there mate.

Step One
You gotta consider yourself completely powerless under me, the Reverend D. Wayne Love.
Step Two
You figure that's just gotta be jelly 'cos jam just don't shake like that.
Step Three
Make a searching inventory of all your good shit.
Step Four
Inventory taken, hand it all willingly over to me.
Step Five 
Having divined I am the real thing, get down on your knees.
Step Six
And humbly ask me to kindly remove your underpants.
Step Seven
And make ready for me to do my thing.
Step Eight
Naked now, you're ready to understand my kind of loving.
Step Nine
Lovin' men, lovin' women, lovin' all God’s creatures.
Step Ten
Your divestments complete, I may or may not be turned on by you.
Step Eleven
If I am turned on by you, I probably think you're about ready to become...
Step Twelve
... a lowly little reverend. Just making your way, day by day in the congregation. Hustling for a dollar here, a dollar there. Bringing it all back to me, the all powerful, the all mighty, the all wise, the Reverend D Wayne Love.

He's actually a very deep thinking man. Going to get my next dose of enlightenment and conciousness expansion in about 2 weeks time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I think I've seen signs in shops (banks?) indicating that they won't serve customers wearing motorcycle helmets. Bloody motorbikerphobes.

Thing is though, it's well known that people in motorbike hats do over banks - it was on that Documentary series that used to be on - was it called the Sweeney? some right tasty geezers were well at it an' no mistake. Thank god for Detectives like Reagan and Carter.

People in bike helmets and Transit van drivers are criminal scum, the lot of 'em.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

I'm no fan of the niqab but how does a niqab prevent you from getting on with them? I get on fine with my brother in laws wife.

My personal experience  is that a niqab does prevent me getting on because when it's discovered that  I'm a man wearing it, everyone like, gets all antsy and negative, like I'm some kind of wiedo. I mean, wtf!

So kids, don't do it

33 minutes ago, ermie123 said:

Nowhere in the Koran does it say that women have to cover up.  It also started in the Middle East because of dust storms, i have never experienced a dust storm in Britain.  Those that only the eyes be left uncovered have clearly not discovered that the sexiest part of a woman is her eyes as she says it all with them.

Nope, that would be bewbs.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ermie123 said:

It's a severe interpretation of the need to dress modestly.

I don't like it. I suspect a lot of wearers are compelled to wear it, and a few do because they believe they should and choose to. I think we should try to educate it out of society. But for now it's just a garment some people wear because of a daft interpretation ogf another stupid book.

You might want to consider the Othering you're buying into, with 'Them'. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Thing is though, it's well known that people in motorbike hats do over banks - it was on that Documentary series that used to be on - was it called the Sweeney? some right tasty geezers were well at it an' no mistake. Thank got for Detectives like Reagan and Carter.

People in bike helmets and Transit van drivers are criminal scum, the lot of 'em.

A niqab-wearing robber suspected of a string of bank robberies carried out perhaps his fourth successful heist in Ottawa on Thursday.

Police in the Canadian capital say the man, wearing a robe and a dark blue niqab covering his mouth and nose, entered the bank around noon.

He handed the teller a note demanding money and spoke with a slight accent. 

No weapon was seen or used in the theft, and the man left with an unknown amount of cash.

The religious head covering is traditionally worn by women.

Since the summer, there have been at least four similar robberies, although police are not certain the same man is responsible for all of them. 

Police will meet next week to share information on the thefts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12101647

Just saying like

• Like 1

3 hours ago, limpid said:

You used the word "xenophobic". You might not have meant "a dislike of people from other countries", but it's the word you used. No-one suggested they were objecting because the wearers come from another country. You brought that to the conversation.

Yes that's the word I used to refer to the type of people who might alienate and ostracize a woman because of her clothing; they tend to do so because it is distinctly "other" to them, not because it's a logistic inconvenience. I find it hard to imagine somebody would come up with the well reasoned logistic arguments against niqab in the public sphere only to use them to shout GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY at a random woman wearing it.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yes that's the word I used to refer to the type of people who might alienate and ostracize a woman because of her clothing; they tend to do so because it is distinctly "other" to them, not because it's a logistic inconvenience. I find it hard to imagine somebody would come up with the well reasoned logistic arguments against niqab in the public sphere only to use them to shout GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY at a random woman wearing it.

There's enough problems being described in this thread that creating a strawman is only going confuse.

• Like 1

It wasn't a straw man, it was a scenario set up by another poster in which a woman is "othered" or ostracized by society for wearing a niqab. All I did was name it.

A straw man would be singling out a word from my comment to imply I'm calling anybody who disagrees with niqab xenophobic.

Â