All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think we ought to be very wary of going from the unsatisfactory situation of faith schools as part of the educational establishment to the equally unsatisfactory situation of imposed secularity.

I just think the church and state should remain seperate . If we are going to teach our kids about religion then ALL religions should be taught equally and without bias. Teach our kids how to think rather than what to think. 

• Like 4

Just now, Brumerican said:

I just think the church and state should remain seperate . If we are going to teach our kids about religion then ALL religions should be taught equally and without bias. Teach our kids how to think rather than what to think. 

I agree with each opinion.

I have a distinct worry on the first that an unintended consequence is to replace the church with the state.

I am fine with the churches and mosques hanging around and would never dream of prohibiting them . They should just be treated like any other social club . In time,  the very notion of church and state should become as ridiculous as the term weight watchers and state.

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 2

I am fine with the churches and mosques hanging around and would never dream of prohibiting them . They should just be treated like any other social club . In time,  the very notion of church and state should become as ridiculous as the term weight watchers and state.

We could just ban it though Brum

5 minutes ago, PongRiddims said:

No, ban them too. Has anyone tried a dictatorship recently? I think it might be time again #VotePong

If you force weight watchers underground you stand the chance of radicalisation.  Next thing you know people are blowing themselves up outside of gyms and bumping off French cartoonists who drew a picture of a treadmill.

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I totally respect your answer and you chap. But for the life of me I cannot believe it is the womens choice to wear the burka/niqab out in public. They just seem so far away from society wearing this, an I do not believe they want to personally live this way.

If they are happy this way, why is this? So much about interacting with society includes body language and expression. You cannot have either when someone is covered up, which is not helping them fit in to english society.

You're projecting your biases onto these women. Is it so hard to believe that some women may value being closer to God more than being alienated by a few xenophobic white people? Since when did we start questioning freedom of choice anyway?

People walk around in plushy anthropomorphic fur suits (google furries at your own risk), and nobody is calling for them to stop wearing it, or questioning their ability to interact with society with their "expressions" or whatever. But Muslim women wear a piece of cloth on their face and that offends our delicate Western sensibilities.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, snowychap said:

Nope.

It should be people's actions that are dealt with/prohibited - not what they think or believe.

Setting up schools for Indoctrinating kids with sky fairy nonsense? Ban it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, snowychap said:

Nope.

It should be people's actions that are dealt with/prohibited - not what they think or believe.

Setting up schools for Indoctrinating kids with sky fairy nonsense? Ban it.

Official member of the Ban It With Blandy fan club

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brumerican said:

If you force weight watchers underground you stand the chance of radicalisation.  Next thing you know people are blowing themselves up outside of gyms and bumping off French cartoonists who drew a picture of a treadmill.

The last thing the world needs is fat suicide bombers. Think of the size of the vests, let alone the mess.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You're projecting your biases onto these women. Is it so hard to believe that some women may value being closer to God more than being alienated by a few xenophobic white people? Since when did we start questioning freedom of choice anyway?

People walk around in plushy anthropomorphic fur suits (google furries at your own risk), and nobody is calling for them to stop wearing it, or questioning their ability to interact with society with their "expressions" or whatever. But Muslim women wear a piece of cloth on their face and that offends our delicate Western sensibilities.

I wouldn't call it xenophobic to have concerns about social cohesion and integration.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I feel the same way about people wearing hoodies and walking around in motorcycle helmets. So what am I projecting and on to whom?

I think you are ascribing a motive which isn't there. I like to see who I'm talking to. There is no fear involved.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, limpid said:

I feel the same way about people wearing hoodies and walking around in motorcycle helmets. So what am I projecting and on to whom?

I think you are ascribing a motive which isn't there. I like to see who I'm talking to. There is no fear involved.

I was referring to the assumption that these women are forced to wear it (despite no evidence other than "I feel"), not to the objection to the garment itself for other reasons like the ones you stated. 

Just now, Keyblade said:

I was referring to the assumption that these women are forced to wear it (despite no evidence other than "I feel"), not to the objection to the garment itself for other reasons like the ones you stated. 

You used the word "xenophobic". You might not have meant "a dislike of people from other countries", but it's the word you used. No-one suggested they were objecting because the wearers come from another country. You brought that to the conversation.

It's a really tricky area, the open face and social norms.

I'm not a fan of the niqab, I think it creates a barrier. But I know for a fact that some wear it through choice. 

I guess that if it's the norm in your social circle you become accustomed to it and it isn't odd or alien. Is it 'normal' to shave off your eyebrows and then draw them back on in excitable shapes? Is it normal to dye your hair a different colour or put metal piercings in your ears, nose and lips? Then we've got the whole hoodies and scarfs and mirror sunglasses thing. 

If you shouldn't wear a niqab, as it's a barrier and makes people uneasy, can you wear a Japanese style face mask in the city? Or those trendy motorbiking neckers or scarfs with skull jaws on? How about wearing a scarf and a hat at the same time? What percentage of face should be the minimum? It's a bit of a mare to head down that road.

141606775991_1.jpg  _68694578_cyclist_mask2-spl.jpg  54774f7dfe79f01ea2388035158b7b7c.jpg

• Like 4

I sure the dudes above would remove there face covering if asked. I don't think you could generally ask a Muslim women to remove here face mask so you could have a chat.

Your way of the mark with your examples chap, way off.

xenophobic? I doubt that. I have no problems with head scarfs, turbans, etc. There's a need in devout Muslim countries im sure, but here, I don't think its a good way to fit in English society. An that's what we all want here surely, a society that all gets on.

Â