All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

From my reading it was initially condoned as it was unavoidable as they couldn't distinguish who was who during the night. This was changed straight after so that the earliest a raid can happen would be at first light so as to ensure women and children were not killed. There are many more hadith that state no women and children should be killed than there are that is acceptable (only 1).

But my point is the attack on the males is condoned right? 

i.e an attack on fellow man is condoned.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Trying to keep a little on topic. Could anybody answer the question why many muslim women in the 21st century still insist or are made to still wear the burka, in the UK.

This is what turns me to think its not hard to brainwash a practising Muslim in extremism. I mean surely many of the Burka wearing islamists would prefer not to wear it out in public.

In reality alot of us brits find it a little outragous (maybe to strong word) that in this day an age you should have English born Muslims wearing this 'uniform'. 

You are talking about the tiniest of tiniest minorities that were the Burka/niqab. The majority of those will be done out of choice. It seems in this modern and free society, it's a bit unfair to restrict a woman's choice.  As always I look at real life examples. I know 2 people in my circle of friends/family, one of which is my brother in laws wife.  Both wear it out of choice and their husbands would prefer they would not as they are worried that they are a walking target. However, they have no right to tell their wives how to dress.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

But my point is the attack on the males is condoned right? 

i.e an attack on fellow man is condoned.

Only in war. Even then the majority and I mean the majority of battles were fought at pre-agreed times in pre-agreed locations.

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Only in war. Even then the majority and I mean the majority of battles were fought at pre-agreed times in pre-agreed locations.

Genuine question, but would the definition of "war" and wartime be open to interpretation?

Edited by StanBalaban

13 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Genuine question, but would the definition of "war" and wartime be open to interpretation?

Oh of course. It's why some of these terrorists are doing what they are doing. They think they are committing an act of war and it's revenge.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, omariqy said:

You are talking about the tiniest of tiniest minorities that were the Burka/niqab. The majority of those will be done out of choice. It seems in this modern and free society, it's a bit unfair to restrict a woman's choice.  As always I look at real life examples. I know 2 people in my circle of friends/family, one of which is my brother in laws wife.  Both wear it out of choice and their husbands would prefer they would not as they are worried that they are a walking target. However, they have no right to tell their wives how to dress.

I totally respect your answer and you chap. But for the life of me I cannot believe it is the womens choice to wear the burka/niqab out in public. They just seem so far away from society wearing this, an I do not believe they want to personally live this way.

If they are happy this way, why is this? So much about interacting with society includes body language and expression. You cannot have either when someone is covered up, which is not helping them fit in to english society.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I totally respect your answer and you chap. But for the life of me I cannot believe it is the womens choice to wear the burka/niqab out in public. They just seem so far away from society wearing this, an I do not believe they want to personally live this way.

So, it's your belief, your perception of how the world happens that this cannot be true? I have **** all idea how people can walk around tattooed from head to toe and feel fine or even good about it but people do.

People make choices and in a free society people are free to make those choices whether or not we can understand them or why they make them.

That isn't to deny the possibility or rather the likelihood that many muslim women are pressurized in to doing things (such as wearing burqas) with which they are not at all comfortable - but similar things apply in all areas of society and it doesn't mean it can't be a woman's choice to wear things that you or I wouldn't be keen to wear.

If they are happy this way, why is this? So much about interacting with society includes body language and expression. You cannot have either when someone is covered up, which is not helping them fit in to english society.

This is the biggest nonsense that I hear. It is most definitely up to individuals as to how they interact with society and not up to you to demand how others interact with you or with society.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Not a fan of banning  things  in the most part but faith schools should be phased out for sure . Children should be taught about ALL religion rather than indoctrinated into one of them .

I think we ought to be very wary of going from the unsatisfactory situation of faith schools as part of the educational establishment to the equally unsatisfactory situation of imposed secularity.

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

I think we ought to be very wary of going from the unsatisfactory situation of faith schools as part of the educational establishment to the equally unsatisfactory situation of imposed secularity.

Ah but if you banned religion, there would be far less people calling for other things to be banned :mrgreen:

• Like 1

Â