All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

13 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Been watching a programme on the life of Muhammad. Going by what I've seen and heard on this programme there are so many Muslims who have completely got it wrong in how they follow their religion. The first ever Islamic state created by Muhammad himself was a peaceful place tolerant and understanding of other religions. Either way it's all ear say and bullshit if you like but it's an interesting watch.

Did it mention his wife out of interest ? 

10 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I was wondering if this was true you see.  It's often thrown about that his choice of girls was a bit suspect.

1 of his wives named Ayisha is the one which causes controversy. Allegedly he married her when she was 5 years old and consumated the marriage 4 lunar cycles later which would have made her 9 years old. I believe he was in his 50's at the time of this marriage.

15 minutes ago, KHV said:

1 of his wives named Ayisha is the one which causes controversy. Allegedly he married her when she was 5 years old and consumated the marriage 4 lunar cycles later which would have made her 9 years old. I believe he was in his 50's at the time of this marriage.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Did it mention his wife out of interest ? 

His first wife who was older and a successful woman was the love  of his life by all accounts and it wasn't until after she had died that he had up to 11 wives. I'm assuming you are on about the young girl he married who was very young but there are different ages knocking about to how old she was, ranging from 9-13. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

You say that as though it's certain, I don't think it is.

Jesus was mentioned a few times by Muhammad in the Koran. Did the same bloke write all of the religious texts, i.e, Koran, Bible etc. 

Abrahamic religions, emphasizing and tracing their common origin to the tribal patriarch Abraham[1] or recognizing a spiritual tradition identified with him, are one of the major divisions in comparative religion (along with Indian,[2] Iranian, and East Asian religions[2]). Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are the largest Abrahamic religions in terms of numbers of adherents.[3][4][5]

The major Abrahamic religions in chronological order of founding are:

Judaism (seventh century BCE),[6]

Christianity (first century CE)

Islam (seventh century CE)

Wiki

The C of E, clearly with nothing better to do and with the usual shortsightedness, has decided to attack Cadburys and the National Trust over it's Easter egg campaign. Apparently removing faith from a confectionary hunt that has roughly nothing to do with Christianity at all it's a great affront and tantamount to spitting on the grave of Cadburys famously religious founder (which reads almost like the Church has a greater claim to the man than the company he started...).

You have to laugh.

• Like 2

Remember when Jesus was being crucified and he shat out a chocolate egg . 

Matthew 27:54

"When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened,especially the chocolate egg jutting out of his gaping anus,  they were terrified, and exclaimed, "Surely he was the Son of God!"

• Like 3

On 27/03/2017 at 18:30, Rugeley Villa said:

Jesus was mentioned a few times by Muhammad in the Koran. Did the same bloke write all of the religious texts, i.e, Koran, Bible etc. 

Sort of like a biblical JK Rowling?  I wouldn't rule it out.

My understanding of it all was that it's basically folklore and legend that varied by region and according to who was telling the story.  Eventually it got committed to paper and became the one version of the truth.  The truth being a man who came back to life after being crucified and left in a cave, a talking elephant with two legs and four arms, and David Icke.

13 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Remember when Jesus was being crucified and he shat out a chocolate egg . 

Matthew 27:54

"When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened,especially the chocolate egg jutting out of his gaping anus,  they were terrified, and exclaimed, "Surely he was the Son of God!"

It wasn't chocolate :(

• Like 2

of all the things to be worried about. Even if she was just asked a provocative question and was forced to answer, it's still daft to come out with a response. Those two years don't just happen by themselves you know Theresa...

Â