All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not always. In my experience there are three types of believer:

1. Those who get it from their family and wider cultural group. By far the biggest group. 

2. Those who talk themselves into it, based on some spurious pseudo logic. They may have no religious background, but feel some psychological need to believe in/belong to something for emotional security. 

3. Those who claim to have had an out-of-the-blue revelation of some apparently supernatural form. Often (but not always) people who have had bad experiences (abuse, PTSD, drugs, alcoholism, etc.) 

I'd say those categories, singly or in combination, cover 99% of believers. 

William James made a longer list than that when he wrote The Varieties of Religious Experience.

I don't know how long his list was but the book is 534 pages long.

Quite interesting too.

34 minutes ago, limpid said:

@mjmooney I don't believe 2 is likely to happen to people who as children where taught to think sceptically. I can't comment on 3 as I don't know enough about it.It seems to me like you'd have to already accept the "concept" of supernatural in order for this to even occur to someone.

I agree that the 'type 2s' are rare, but they do exist. The philosopher Anthony Flew is a notorious example. And the '3s' are arguably victims of mental breakdown. But as I said, I agree that type 1 is the most common. 

On 18/11/2015 at 12:05, omariqy said:

I'm no fan of the niqab but how does a niqab prevent you from getting on with them? I get on fine with my brother in laws wife.

I would instantly have her down as a bit of a mentalist. I think it takes a special kind of nutter to think that God or Alan or whatever you want to call him will only love you if you cover your mush up in public. 

I don't hate her for it, on the contrary I feel sorry for her. Wasting her life away. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Popular social media celebrity Qandeel Baloch has been killed in Multan, becoming the latest victim in the spate of "honour killings" that plague the country.

The 26-year-old, who is popular for posting risque videos and statements on Facebook, was killed by her brother, Regional Police Officer Sultan Azam said on Saturday.

• Qandeel strangled to death by her brother
  • Model asked for security three weeks ago
  • Police say brother killed over 'honour'

Qandeel's brother had been threatening her to stop posting photos and videos on Facebook, police added. Her brother fled after killing Qandeel, whose real name is Fauzia Azeem.

“Qandeel Baloch has been killed, she was strangled to death by her brother, apparently it was an incident of honour killing,” Sultan Azam, senior police officer in Multan, told AFP.

5789df560c7d7.jpg

Who is Qandeel Baloch?

Baloch, who became famous through her tireless self-promotion and suggestive "selfies" posted on social media, had amassed tens of thousands of followers.

"Nothing is good in this society. This patriarchal society is bad," Qandeel had said in a recent interview with Images.

In one of her last Facebook posts, Qandeel reiterated her unapologetic approach: "No matter how many times I will be pushed down under... I am a fighter, I will bounce back."

"Qandeel Baloch [is an] inspiration to ladies who are treated badly... I know you will keep on hating, who cares?" wrote Qandeel, who often referred to herself as a "one-woman army".

Qandeel is derided and feted in equal measure in Pakistan, but the popularity of her videos evidence frustrations of many young people tired of being told how to behave.

She shot to fame in Pakistan in 2014.

Earlier this month, Qandeel released a music video which she starred in alongside little known young singer Aryan Khan. Titled 'Ban,' the music video touched on Qandeel's status as a controversial social media icon, and was provocative given Pakistan's conservative standards for entertainment.

Days later a man claiming to be Qandeel's ex-husband made an appearance on TV, saying that Qandeel had a son with him during their brief marriage.

Qandeel confirmed his claims, saying she was forced into the marriage.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

A friend of mine is gonna convert to islam cause he want a muslim girl, do you have to pray 5 times a day to be a real muslim ?

I think you'll find the definition of being a real Muslim can vary, even amongst Muslims. They've even been known to argue about it.

9 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

A friend of mine is gonna convert to islam cause he want a muslim girl, do you have to pray 5 times a day to be a real muslim ?

You could always just say you pray 5 times a day, which is what I'd do. Surely to be a real Muslim you actually have to believe in it. Does he now suddenly believe the Quran to be the Word of God and Muhammad his messenger?

9 hours ago, will87 said:

You could always just say you pray 5 times a day, which is what I'd do. Surely to be a real Muslim you actually have to believe in it. Does he now suddenly believe the Quran to be the Word of God and Muhammad his messenger?

He most certainly don't, but he has changed his mind on the religion, claiming it's missunderstood and not as bad as i think it is.

He want a religious wife who has surrendered to god, saying you cant get a better wife then that.

Oh well let's see what happens, he will probably end up being stoned to death..

3 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

Nothing wrong with believing in a higher power, gives alot of people the strenght to cope with a hard life.

If your coping strategy fora hard life involves believing that there is a higher power causing your hard life then how does that give strength? Surely that can only lead to despair.

It's intellectually dishonest to believe in anything which can't be proven to exist.

6 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

Nothing wrong with believing in a higher power, gives alot of people the strenght to cope with a hard life.

Apart from the obvious ironic fact that in said belief structure the higher power giving strength to cope with a hard life is also the source of the misery. 

Religion really is a crock of shite.

• Like 3

Nephew got christened today in still stupidly religious Ireland... not my place to butt in and social pressures are a bitch, but argh... I'm gonna make sure some of the first stuff he reads is atheist!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villakram said:

Nephew got christened today in still stupidly religious Ireland... not my place to butt in and social pressures are a bitch, but argh... I'm gonna make sure some of the first stuff he reads is atheist!

I once told someone I didn't want to go to a Christening as I'm an atheist. From the reaction you'd have thought I'd said I wanted to BBQ their first born.

Medieval cults.

None will ever be proved to be real. No difference in the heavens gate cult an religion of today. its scary.  What I mean is, true followers would do anything their religion insists.

To me having to pray 5 times a day to a God who will never be proved is just plain crazy, an close to being brain washed.

18 hours ago, limpid said:

If your coping strategy fora hard life involves believing that there is a higher power causing your hard life then how does that give strength? Surely that can only lead to despair.

It's intellectually dishonest to believe in anything which can't be proven to exist.

Maybe he caused you all this mess cause you didnt beleive in him before, or he is testing you, to see what you are made of.

Iam not a big fan of religion myself but it's not all bad, i know a few bad criminals here in sweden, who has been assholes pretty much all their lives but has now found God and they are totally changed.

You can even see it in thier eyes, from being black and full of hate,to being full of love instead.

Â