Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

My missus, well ex missus......actually it's complicated, but I digress, is a personal friend of Michael Foulger on the board at Norwich. She's just text him on my behalf asking if they've been contacted by Villa about Lambert. The answer was a simple "no".

Obviously if we have made contact he's unlikely to give the game away, but that's from as close to the top as I can deliver.

She got Delia's number? :)

I wish, if only or the food!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point in time you could say that Lambert has had a relatively similar career to a pre-Bolton Owen Coyle couldn't you?

Perhaps Coyle is a cautionary tale?

It's interesting though how many Norwich fans are saying Villa are a small club compared to Norwich.. what utter bollocks, they were in the championship not so long ago and they think they are all of a sudden a massive club.

not so long ago in League 1 losing 7-1 at home to Colchester :P

Lambert has done exceptionally well so far in his management career. I wonder though whether his style of football will take him much further? It's basically a muscular old fashioned gung ho philosophy which allied to good discipline has worked for him so far, but has probably reached it's ultimate level this season.

When I look at the potential for our players to develop a real footballing style (with a few astute additions to the squad) I believe that Roberto Martinez would be a much better fit for our current squad.

I agree Villabromsgrove, I wouldn't mind Lambert but I could see why we went for Martinez as he would change the whole approach of AVFC. Thats why i questioned PF on, how the hell did you go from Martinez to McLeish, made no bloody sense. I think if we had him, Ireland and N'Zogbia would both flourish big time.

At this point in time you could say that Lambert has had a relatively similar career to a pre-Bolton Owen Coyle couldn't you?

No I believe that lambert is more tactically astute that Coyle... I mean look at norwich against Arsenal 3-3 at the emirates, while Bolton got turned over 1-4 by spurs at home...Lambert is a Superior coach... Come back to me when Coyle takes a team that is struggling in League 1, gets them promoted to the championship, which is a very hard league to get out of, and gets them promoted 2 seasons running.. And then finishes mid table in his first season in the PL..He has something special. Norwich plays some nice attacking football, Bolton under coyle are a scrappy long ball, that don't know how to pass, yes the same as Villa, which is why we need Lambert/Martinez/rodgers.. somebody who knows how to play attacking football. I just think that Lambert has much more tactical nouse.

No I believe that lambert is more tactically astute that Coyle... I mean look at norwich against Arsenal 3-3 at the emirates, while Bolton got turned over 1-4 by spurs at home...Lambert is a Superior coach... Come back to me when Coyle takes a team that is struggling in League 1, gets them promoted to the championship, which is a very hard league to get out of, and gets them promoted 2 seasons running.. And then finishes mid table in his first season in the PL..He has something special. Norwich plays some nice attacking football, Bolton under coyle are a scrappy long ball, that don't know how to pass, yes the same as Villa, which is why we need Lambert/Martinez/rodgers.. somebody who knows how to play attacking football. I just think that Lambert has much more tactical nouse.

Infairness to him its not a completely ridiculous statement, Coyle had a 63% win percentage at Falkirk, 51% at St Johnstone, & had taken Burnley to the premiership. I do agree with the fact Lambert is a better manager back to back promotions with a Norwich side who fear no one proves that. I do hope we can get him, but did someone say Randy & Delia have a close working relationship & that he might not want to strain it?

Infairness to him its not a completely ridiculous statement, Coyle had a 63% win percentage at Falkirk, 51% at St Johnstone, & had taken Burnley to the premiership. I do agree with the fact Lambert is a better manager back to back promotions with a Norwich side who fear no one proves that. I do hope we can get him, but did someone say Randy & Delia have a close working relationship & that he might not want to strain it?

yeah but you can't compare his win % in scotland to england.. I mean look at Andre Villas-Boas, his Win percentage at Porto was 80%, then he came here and failed.

Well ya but when you compare the fact that Lambert had won 5 of his 32 games with Livingston, it probably makes Pre-Bolton Coyle all the more impressive. Also, AVB & Chelsea I think is a very hard one to draw comparisons with, it was just mad in general.

I've said all along, the similarities between Coyle & Lambert are scary

As for Martinez, hopeless manager until April / may time every season

Yes he wears a nice suit & interviews quite well, but my local mp could do that

As for Rodgers , highly unproven at this level

Randy and his working relationships. I couldn't possibly offend someone who has nothing to do with my club so instead I'll appoint a shit manager from a rival and completely alienate the fans who help to keep this club running.

He needs to stop worrying about other people, grow some bollocks, and actually manage his investment correctly.

Do you think that McLeish is a better manager than the four that you've just dismissed? :?

I don't understand all the love for Lambert. Not saying he shouldn't have the chance at managing Villa or that he would be a bad choice, but I can't see anything special in him that makes me think "he's the one". Maybe that's just me.

Do you think that McLeish is a better manager than the four that you've just dismissed? :?

No, although he has been both more successful but also worse

If that makes sense