Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

I think the only thing concerning me about Lambert is that we need players from Europe to come in. Now I don't know all that much about Lambert's buying history, but if he's just going to be buying English players then we may as well go crawling back to O'Neill.

Lambert's knowledge of European players is probably a lot better than ours. He did win the Champions League under Hitzfeld for Dortmund. I reckon he keeps a keen eye still on the bundaslige (sp.) still. Certainly a talented league at the moment. A bit of German talent wouldn't hurt at the mo.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambert or Martinez would be good for us. The only difference I can see is personal ambition and, in that respect, I would have to give it to Martinez. Lambert is an ambitious manager, but maybe a little too ambitious and would be gone as soon as a bigger club came knocking. Martinez, IMO, still has the ambition, but for me he has this unique likeability and loyalty factor we need to build. If he came, it would'nt be an overnight fix, but given the right set of tools he could become quite a craftsman.......and a huge influence on the way this club reinvents itself.

I hope we go for him. The board seem to have made their management decisions so far on experience alone, as you might do for corporate organisation. Football isn't quite like that and if you can snuff out a talent fairly early then you can reap major rewards. Lambert has done a fantastic job with Norwich, has good playing experience, likes his teams to have a go and could, I think, work pretty well with what we have here already (although clearly we need to strengthen), whereas someone like Rodgers and even Martinez may struggle.

For me, he's the right man at the right time and for him I think it's the right job too. Let's hope it happens.

Only Fatty Faulkner could mess this up now. When he first mentioned the Villa link being 'unfair' I thought that was a pretty strange response and not the one of someone committed to staying. After his comments today it's pretty certain he's looking elsewhere - us or Baggies?

Ive a different theory, I think was Lambert to stay his players would all stay if anyone wanted them, he gave them the chance to shine and the owe him, a lot of them came from the lower leagues and therefore I think PL would show them the same loyalty but hey what do I know?

Money talks in football

I can understand why our fans are chanting for him, we are all desperate for anyone other than the incumbent

However it's a bit embarrassing singing for lambert, very Smalltime

Ive a different theory, I think was Lambert to stay his players would all stay if anyone wanted them, he gave them the chance to shine and the owe him, a lot of them came from the lower leagues and therefore I think PL would show them the same loyalty but hey what do I know?

Loyalty? What loyalty exists in modern day football?

Money talks in football

I can understand why our fans are chanting for him, we are all desperate for anyone other than the incumbent

There you go with the use of 'smalltime' again.

What's smalltime is our record, tactics, performances and the post-match interviews this season. Smalltime would also be getting relegated under the same manager next season. His PL record shows this is the norm, not the unexpected slump.

Fans paying good money, voicing their opinion and trying to make a change is definitely not smalltime!

Loyalty? What loyalty exists in modern day football?

There's bits and pieces still around you'd be surprised its not completely extinct.

Not so sure as it could be deemed he was having a dig at the treatment of McCleish from this....

CLICKY: http://tinyurl.com/7jd5oyy

""Norwich City manager Paul Lambert has shrugged off speculation about his future after he received the backing of Aston Villa supporters.

Lambert has worked wonders at Carrow Road in leading Norwich from League One to the Premier League, and subsequently securing top-flight survival.

The Canaries rounded off their first season back among the elite with a 2-0 win over Villa on Sunday and Lambert has been mooted as a replacement for Alex McLeish.

His fellow Scot has endured a difficult debut season at Villa Park and fans called for McLeish's dismissal during the defeat at Norwich.

Villa supporters also showed their backing for Lambert, although the Canaries chief refused to be drawn on the chants of the away fans.

"Aston Villa is not my team. Norwich is and the Norwich fans singing it is greatly appreciated," said Lambert.

"I understand what is happening at Aston Villa and I can see what is happening with the crowd and the manager which is never nice.

"But that is out of my control - my control is Norwich and the Norwich fans have been brilliant for me."

As for his own future, the 42-year-old said: "I don't really worry about myself to be honest. I just worry about the team.

"Speculation doesn't really bother me - I just get on with it. You can never stop people speculating about your team or yourself."

Asked if he would still be with Norwich at the start of next season, Lambert said: "It is a hard one to answer that because I have a contract here and everyone is doing great in their respective jobs.

"I will get this season out of the road and then I will see what happens and think about what is going on and the achievements we have done and then we will see."

I would be very surprised if Lambert took the job.

I think we'll approach him, and I think he'll be keen to hear what we have to offer him... and then he'll find it not to his liking at all.

Asked if he would still be with Norwich at the start of next season, Lambert said: "It is a hard one to answer that because I have a contract here and everyone is doing great in their respective jobs.

Huh? Surely it's an easy one to answer then...

I think there's something in this

I would be very surprised if Lambert took the job.

I think we'll approach him, and I think he'll be keen to hear what we have to offer him... and then he'll find it not to his liking at all.

This is the major issue isn't it. Aston Villa should be a big enough draw for the vast majority of managers in this country and certainly the managers of Norwich, Wigan, Swansea etc. Aston Villa without a pot to piss in though who have been on a rapid descent for two seasons constantly flogging their best players and not supplying the funds to replace them doesn't look too appealing.

Paul Lambert strikes me as a very ambitious man. Sadly I think those ambitions and the lack of ambition of Randy Lerner will sadly mean that he won't be joining us.

I think he could be a perfect fit for us though with a more ambitious owner.

Money talks in football

No, it's called gallows humour. Lighten up will you!