Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Di Matteo ?? People have short memories
Is there anyone besides Capello, Scolari or Van Gaal that you'd be happy with? All you ever do is rubbish people's suggestions without actually suggesting any realistic alternatives yourself.

Di Matteo would be an awful option. Almost relegated West Brom, they were shite last year. His entire Chelsea reign is about nurturing the old, over paid, club-controlling players that the club, AVB and whoever their new manager will be know needs to go. They call him 'Robbie' (he even played alongside Terry and Lampard).

He's done well no doubt about that. But he is absolutely not the manager we need at Villa, we need the exact opposite an attacking minded, young manager who is able to build something here from the ground up. Di Matteo cant do that, what he could do would be to come in and be nice to Dunne, Collins, Warnock and get them to perform.

Then when they dont perform. This time next year we'll be here saying 'it's a big summer, need a big overhaul and to get rid of the over-paid trouble makers and build a team round the likes of Clark and Gardner' For the third summer running.

Rant over lol. I just worry that we will go for Lambert, fail and then hire Di Matteo much to applause of the media and it will all go horribly, horribly wrong.

It's interesting though how many Norwich fans are saying Villa are a small club compared to Norwich.. what utter bollocks, they were in the championship not so long ago and they think they are all of a sudden a massive club.

I think the opportunity for Lambert to step up to a club of our size would be too big an opportunity to pass up.

The Villa job is a tough but alluring one and managers are all about the ego. The chance for him to out the club back in a competitive position after two years of chaos and abject failure would be a way to seal you’re reputation, similar to Moyes.

He will also have a blank canvas given the level of player turn around and I think any manager will have between £20-25 million to spend, far more than he would get at Norwich.

You’ve also got to look at it personally. The current incumbent is the 20th highest paid in the world. Money as we know, talks.

The bloke is ambitious and has already shown in his career that he has no sentiment by stepping up from Colchester to Norwich.

A good time to take over too, as any new boss is going to face a lot of goodwill after McLeish.

If we approach McNally and Norwich, then Lambert will come.

It's interesting though how many Norwich fans are saying Villa are a small club compared to Norwich.. what utter bollocks, they were in the championship not so long ago and they think they are all of a sudden a massive club.

That alone makes me hope we steal their manager just to watch them drop like a sack of bricks back into the Championship or worse.

Ohh yeah because everyone was clambering over each other to get the villa job last summer, I even heard mourinho and Guardiola were thinking about leaving Madrid and Barca to interview for the Villa Job -_-

unfortunately that was not the case last summer, managers were avoiding the Villa job like the Plague.

I don’t think you would find a sober Norwich fan anywhere in the world that would honestly consider Norwich to be anywhere near the size of the Villa.

If you’re reading their messageboards, then a lot will get defensive, the same way as we would if a bigger club was rumoured to be trying to poach one of our assets.

Surely the Villa job is a much better proposition now than this time last year? So whilst i can understand the likes of Martinez, Benitez & co running as far away from it as possible last summer it may be a bit different this time as we have hopefully "bottomed out" now? At least i hope so :shock:

In a sense this season was always going to happen & AMC was the only guy apparantly prepared to buy into it... This is the only way i can see him surviving.. As in if he & Randy had an understanding that this season was going to be a battle for survival & AMC took the job on the condition this was understood & he would be given another season to preserve his reputation etc & would be allowed to strengthen once the likes of Heskey, Cuellar & co's contracts hed run down.

I do think the Villa job is now much more appealing as we can surely only go upwards from here? Thus enhancing the reputation of any prospective manager.

I do like the look of Lambert i have to admit & would welcome his appointment.

My missus, well ex missus......actually it's complicated, but I digress, is a personal friend of Michael Foulger on the board at Norwich. She's just text him on my behalf asking if they've been contacted by Villa about Lambert. The answer was a simple "no".

Obviously if we have made contact he's unlikely to give the game away, but that's from as close to the top as I can deliver.

My missus, well ex missus......actually it's complicated, but I digress, is a personal friend of Michael Foulger on the board at Norwich. She's just text him on my behalf asking if they've been contacted by Villa about Lambert. The answer was a simple "no".

Obviously if we have made contact he's unlikely to give the game away, but that's from as close to the top as I can deliver.

cheers for the info.

She got Delia's number? :)

I am acquainted with Michael's way of doing business as well, and he gives nothing away!

I am acquainted with Michael's way of doing business as well, and he gives nothing away!

Her best mate Rebecca is often out on lash town with Michael so i'll see if he let's anything slip over the next couple of weeks.