Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

I would be very surprised if Lambert took the job.

I think we'll approach him, and I think he'll be keen to hear what we have to offer him... and then he'll find it not to his liking at all.

This is the major issue isn't it. Aston Villa should be a big enough draw for the vast majority of managers in this country and certainly the managers of Norwich, Wigan, Swansea etc. Aston Villa without a pot to piss in though who have been on a rapid descent for two seasons constantly flogging their best players and not supplying the funds to replace them doesn't look too appealing.

Paul Lambert strikes me as a very ambitious man. Sadly I think those ambitions and the lack of ambition of Randy Lerner will sadly mean that he won't be joining us.

I think he could be a perfect fit for us though with a more ambitious owner.

Exactly. He'd walk into a big job, and a hard job, from day one and given previous seasons, would not be given that much cash to do it with (unless Lerner has decided to dump the austerity plan he put in place, which you have to think is unlikely).

If I was Lambert I wouldn't touch this job with a bargepole. Times on his side and his star is rising, he can afford to wait for an opportunity better than this. But he'll hear us out just in case there is a chance to put his mark on the club and do something with it, because if that was the case it'd be a fantastic job.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very surprised if Lambert took the job.

I think we'll approach him, and I think he'll be keen to hear what we have to offer him... and then he'll find it not to his liking at all.

PL:"Thanks for asking me in. The compensation package looks attractive and of course Villa used to be a big club so I am complimented by the offer. So the key question, what is the transfer budget available to me?"

PF:"Well as you know we have to trade carefully and be prudent with finances. Let me reiterate we have a fantastic academy and facilities.."

PL:"Yeah yeah cut the bollocks, how much?"

PF:"We certainly believe there are many valuable players now out of contract out there who could add to the club squad and.."

PL:"How much?"

PF:"..well in our view your main job will be to bring the wages down over the next season...."

Sound of door slamming

But where could Lambert go. In all honesty Villa will probably be biggest job he is offered in probably his career. No top 6 club ever hires British managers and Villa job is perfect for any young manager for reason is whoever is appointed will be treated like a God after Eck

lambert would be under so less pressure though next season. we have been so bad this year even if we finished midtable that would be progress

even if we attempt to play football fans will be happy after the rubbish football under mcleish

No top 6 club ever hires British managers

I think Alex Ferguson, Harry Redknapp and Alan Pardew may actually prove that half of them do. If you argue that Newcastle had a fluke season let us look at the next two clubs down; both with British managers...

He'll give his old mate Martin O'Neill a ring, and will be told by him to not go anywhere near the club. End.

like at Norwich ;)

Well, seeing as you brought it up...the chairman of Norwich whom O'Neill had a falling out with left Norwich a matter of months after O'Neill had. The chairman of Aston Villa remains ;)

No top 6 club ever hires British managers

I think Alex Ferguson, Harry Redknapp and Alan Pardew may actually prove that half of them do. If you argue that Newcastle had a fluke season let us look at the next two clubs down; both with British managers...

I don't think he was saying that British managers can't get there clubs into the top six. Newcastle and Spurs were not top six clubs when Pardew & Redknapp were appointed.

We were a top six club when MON left but then we didn't appoint a British manager.

Like others have said, I just can't see him coming here. I think he'll be interested, we'll approach him, he'll hear what we have to offer and gain an understanding of what he needs to do and what is required, and I think he'll run a mile. It's all very well being a 'big club' and a club with great potential but we don't have an owner with the keys to unlock that potential, so it's almost currently an impossible job.

We have a very, very poor squad at the moment and more work needs to be done than we can afford. I think he'll see taking this job as potentially doing more harm to his reputation than good.

Just like Chindie I would be highly surprised if Lambert came to us. Equally delighted, but highly surprised

Likewise.

I can't imagine O'Neill giving the job a glowing reference either.

Fortunately people in the real world really don't give a toss what the M-essiah thinks....

You guys really will be buggered if they do hire Lambert though......

Just like Chindie I would be highly surprised if Lambert came to us. Equally delighted, but highly surprised

Likewise.

Agreed. I don't think O'Neill would make up Lamberts mind for him (what Faulkner tells him would do that), but I doubt O'Neill would sing Lerners praises.

Likewise.

Fortunately people in the real world really don't give a toss what the M-essiah thinks....

What's with the you guys bit? as a fellow Villa fan wouldn't we all be in the same boat when it comes to what's happening at Aston Villa. I also think you need to get over O'Neill. He left almost two years ago ffs.

Would be great if we got him. He has done a great job at Norwich.

Not really similar to MON. He has shown great tactical nous and an ability to rotate his squad!

While we may be trying to restrict our finances we are in a different league in money terms to Norwich.

Lambert knows this and is openly ambitious. I can see him jumping at the chance if we make an approach.

Likewise.

What's with the you guys bit? as a fellow Villa fan wouldn't we all be in the same boat when it comes to what's happening at Aston Villa. I also think you need to get over O'Neill. He left almost two years ago ffs.

With so many championing Lambert, if Lerner and Faulkner do hire him, then the same people will have nothing to abuse them about.

And I didn't bring the former manager up, someone else did.

Lambert does have a history of playing a bigger club, beating them, then becoming their new manager.

Perhaps that's his strategy to get a better job and he's worked it again 8)

I think he's done a terrific job with the Canaries and I'd be happy to see him arrive.

However, I would like to see the scouting network improved too. A manager can't sign players he doesn't know about.

He is the favorite with Skybet

Paul Lambert 6/4

Roberto Martinez 2/1

Rafa Benitez 8/1

Alan Curbishley 10/1

Brian McDermott 12/1

Martin Jol 12/1

Malky Mackay 16/1

Simon Grayson 20/1

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer 20/1

Steve Bruce 20/1

Roberto di Matteo 20/1