Stan Petrov

LondonLax

I understand Stans been through a lot. I find it frustrating that people want Barry back who's the slowest player in the world but say Stans done. I think Stan might do the trick in the Championship for 60 minutes. Or steady the ship in the last 30 minutes as a sub. 

I imagine a lot of you have seen Titanic Football Moments on Facebook.

Can you just imagine 1) him coming on, the applause with that music added, 2) scoring a goal.

I think I'd be in tears anyway, but it would be so wonderful.

• Like 1

If he manages to get a squad place, our other midfielders, and even the youth midfielders should be absolutely **** ashamed.

A 37 year old who's not played in 4 years should be nowhere **** near a professional club. Good luck to him, but it **** terrifies me if he's considered decent enough for the squad.

• Like 3

A couple of years ago I would have said there was no chance of Stan coming back. But then if Wales can get to Euro semi final and England fail miserably in the second round- no scrap the second comment, than who knows. I think we are all rooting for him to get a contract gained on merit.

Can you imagine if he came on for the last 5mins at 0-0. The harsh reality hits home and he really isnt up to it. But we get a penalty in the 89th min, so Stan takes it and scores the winner.

What a way to go.

P.S. Next match Gaby starts and we lose 2-0

15 hours ago, Davkaus said:

If he manages to get a squad place, our other midfielders, and even the youth midfielders should be absolutely **** ashamed.

A 37 year old who's not played in 4 years should be nowhere **** near a professional club. Good luck to him, but it **** terrifies me if he's considered decent enough for the squad.

14 hours ago, bobzy said:

Surely if he's considered to be decent enough for the squad, he's shown that he is capable of performing well still.

Do you feel the same about players that have had long term injuries?

Exactly what Bobzy said, people who are moaning about this are acting like if he does get a game, it will be for shits and giggles or sentiment. NOTHING negative about this, it is literally people just finding something to moan about as usual.

If he doesn't reach the levels he won't play, and either way as mentioned a billion times it's a great boost for the morale and the club.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That's such a linear point of view. If he's good enough he's good enough and his age, injury lay off, even the quality of those around him becomes irrelevant. 

If, for example, he's a better option off the bench than a 19 year old academy kid and that helps us win a few points, will you still feel **** terrified? If we go on to win the division with Petrov making a dozen appearances, should our lads still be **** ashamed?

Tony and RDM have set the target, they want to win the division. If Petrov is able to demonstrate over the next few weeks that he's capable of playing his part in that, that he's worth a place in the squad over somebody else, then he will have earned that place. It really is as simple as that. 

And "if" being the operative word......but hey! Lets wait and see, we could all be pleasantly surprised.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

And "if" being the operative word......but hey! Lets wait and see, we could all be pleasantly surprised.

Of course "if" is the operative word. The entire game of football is built around if's. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Stan and RDM will know there are a lot of if's in him being able to play at a high level again. That is why he has simply been allowed to train with the first team squad at the moment and hasn't just been given a contract. In fact I doubt giving him a contract has even been considered yet.

It will be one step at a time. He keeps up in training then he will get given game time in friendlies, he does well in pre season over all then a short term contract will be considered.

Despite what we think of them he is not going to be training alongside a bunch of unfit mugs. He is going to have to be judged on how he does alongside players ten years younger than him. He gets a contract he will have bloody well earned it and any worries we have about him not being capable of contributing next season should then be put to bed. That is some way off though as for now he is simply being allowed to train with the first team and we are all perhaps getting ahead of ourselves. I can't help but wish him all the luck in the world though and nothing this pre season would give me greater joy than to see that Stan had earned a contract and a squad number.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

some of you seem to be under the impression that if he gets fit and is given a contract that he will be playing week in week out like he did before he retired... which is what you are clearly fearing

theres no way that would/could happen, at most, itll be a couple of sub appearances to the end of game, or in a starting 11 were he will benched at half time, can any of us really see a full game from a retired player thats just overcome a severe illness and is far from match fit?

just enjoy it for what it could be a 'jesus second coming' kinda thing. :-)

With all the mess we have seen over the past few seasons around players with very questionable and unhealthy attitudes in the changing room, having Stan around can only be a good thing and I imagine RDM might notice this as well.

The other players all seem to hold Stan in the highest regards and I definitely think the younger guys, such as Grealish, need a professional figure like Stan around them at this stage in their career. At the end of the day, it may very well turn out he can't earn a spot in the squad, but at the very least, I imagine the club will offer him some sort of coaching role, that is, if Stan fancies it. 

46 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

some of you seem to be under the impression that if he gets fit and is given a contract that he will be playing week in week out like he did before he retired... which is what you are clearly fearing

theres no way that would/could happen, at most, itll be a couple of sub appearances to the end of game, or in a starting 11 were he will benched at half time, can any of us really see a full game from a retired player thats just overcome a severe illness and is far from match fit?

just enjoy it for what it could be a 'jesus second coming' kinda thing. :-)

While I am in support of his come back and hope he makes it. I also would like to think if he is to make it, it's with the intention of more than what you said. Not to the extent of playing regular 90 mins or week in week out but you simply can't afford to have a player starting a game, expecting to only last the first half and likewise while in theory it is good, you can't have someone on the bench who is there just for a cool head in the dying moments of the game, it's a waste.

At the very least having him around is going to be a great inspiration. I hope he makes it but I also hope there is some middle ground between playing every week and the role you've suggested.  

It's not the end of the world if he gets a contract but doesn't end up playing much, sometimes things don't quite work out and he will still bring something to the club.

Edited by AlwaysAVFC

On 01/07/2016 at 10:27, Lord Willard said:

I understand Stans been through a lot. I find it frustrating that people want Barry back who's the slowest player in the world but say Stans done.

Its also that frustrating that people can't see the difference in a guy that was voted Everton's player of the season, and 37yr old guy that has been seriously ill, and has not played for 4yrs. 

Â