Stan Petrov

LondonLax

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah 15lbs is probably an exaggeration. He probably could do with a few pounds trimmed off, but you could say the same for half our squad.

Even if it was 15lbs he had to lose. DOing a professional team's pre season training you could lose that in a month, if that.

The picture he put up on twitter was on the 28th of may and he was looking very trim, maybe not professional footballer trim but you'd imagine he's probably been hard at the last 4 weeks before the lads came back from pre-season. This guy is pretty determined, you can imagine he was told he'd never play professionally again when diagnosed. On what basis does he look overweight in that photo? Is it the fact that his legs are twice the size of Robinson's. I think he will be a roaring success for us next season. 

1 minute ago, Folski said:

The picture he put up on twitter was on the 28th of may and he was looking very trim, maybe not professional footballer trim but you'd imagine he's probably been hard at the last 4 weeks before the lads came back from pre-season. This guy is pretty determined, you can imagine he was told he'd never play professionally again when diagnosed. On what basis does he look overweight in that photo? Is it the fact that his legs are twice the size of Robinson's. I think he will be a roaring success for us next season. 

I didn't say he looked overweight in that photo

Edited by Stevo985

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I didn't say he looked overweight in that photo

Didn't mean to have it aimed at you Stevo :wub: Just think if he looked like that at the end of May he was hardly on the buns for the whole month of June before pre-season. 

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Petrov was a thinker's footballer. Not fast, not strong, not advanced technically. But he was crafty. He views football as culture, not a paycheck. That's why he's back. Judging by that photo with him and Robinson, he's at least 15 lbs overweight. He has a massive mountain to climb to make the team, IMO. I would **** love it if he did. One way or the other, he needs to be on the bench with this team this coming season, either as player, coach or positive presence.

I agree with all of that although I'd say that he was (and presumably still is) very good technically. He was a good passer of the ball and had a mean shot on him.

I remember being incredibly frustrated with him being very slow and cumbersome with the ball, having to re-shuffle his feet  a lot before being able to pass the ball.

Hence slowing down our attacks and counters. Thought he was the weakest link (in a very strong) midfield most of the time.

He did make very good passes when given the time.

On 7/1/2016 at 14:02, Straggler said:

It is for this attitude that I want him back.  Things got worse for the club and he got better and took on more responsibility.  His own world fell apart and he fought back to health.  He looked 10 years older in 2 years and now looks bright as a button again.  He's an inspiration to me as a chubby 40 year old to get the gym kit back out again.  If he can get me moving after 2 years of pretty sedentary lifestyle imagine working with him day in day out.

The most important thing I want though is for him to be there on merit. 

This for me. The effect he'd have in the dressing room is exactly what we were lacking last season.

No player would be able to look him in the eye if they've not given 100%.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

Petrov was a thinker's footballer. Not fast, not strong, not advanced technically. But he was crafty. He views football as culture, not a paycheck. That's why he's back. Judging by that photo with him and Robinson, he's at least 15 lbs overweight. He has a massive mountain to climb to make the team, IMO. I would **** love it if he did. One way or the other, he needs to be on the bench with this team this coming season, either as player, coach or positive presence.

He was a "pick pocket" rather than a rash combatitive battler.....but to do that, you have to be a good reader of the game......He was and I'm hoping I can say he still is.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sne said:

I remember being incredibly frustrated with him being very slow and cumbersome with the ball, having to re-shuffle his feet  a lot before being able to pass the ball.

Hence slowing down our attacks and counters. Thought he was the weakest link (in a very strong) midfield most of the time.

He did make very good passes when given the time.

Early Petrov yes. It took him a good 18 months to get up to speed with the Premier League. But from there on he was very good at what he did, playing the metronome roll. Breaking up play and recycling the ball. Players and fans player of the season in 08/09, competing with the likes of Barry and Young, is damn impressive and I say that as somebody who struggled to completely warm to him as a player. Looking back I wonder if his slow start is the reason why I felt that way. 

Technically he is excellent. Will that have left him after 4 years out? If it hasn't and he's fit, he's got a good chance.  I suppose we will soon have the answer. 

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He looks solid, not overweight to me at all. He always did have massive quads. 

He pretty much had a 6 pack in the before and after pic he posted some time ago, and yeah, he has always had big legs.

13 hours ago, petrov19 said:

Come on you Bulgarian lion!

CmiTBD7WIAAxCZV.jpg CmiTDEsXYAA8E3o.jpg CmiTEALWcAESGKz.jpg

CmiTFQkWAAABTJV.jpg 13537555_10153778763285677_4649237547038

F##k you leukaemia. 

I'll be incredibly surprised if we ever see Stan in the first time team again, but those photos are proof that he is already one of lifes winners. 

Well done Stan. 

Â