Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

I'd be extremely surprised if Villa hadn't broken the rules as well somewhere down the line. And that goes for most clubs with money

(This isn't a defence of City)

Edited by Stevo985

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetically, if they do get kicked out of the PL, whose discretion is it where they can join back in the pyramid?

The EFL don't have to let them in either I'm guessing, but if they did then maybe more likely to start in L2 rather the Championship (extra money spinner for at least 3 years)? One fewer relegation from the PL or one additional promotion for each division in between?

This would all have to happen close season too of course, which might fit the timeline of a few months we're hearing. But then you have appeals...

Edited by fightoffyour

16 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Hypothetically, if they do get kicked out of the PL, whose discretion is it where they can join back in the pyramid?

The EFL don't have to let them in either I'm guessing, but if they did then maybe more likely to start in L2 rather the Championship (extra money spinner for at least 3 years)? One fewer relegation from the PL or one additional promotion for each division in between?

This would all have to happen close season too of course, which might fit the timeline of a few months we're hearing. But then you have appeals...

Couldn't PL just give them an 80 point deduction? That equals relegation in a "normal" way of not messing up the pyramid 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Couldn't PL just give them an 80 point deduction? That equals relegation in a "normal" way of not messing up the pyramid 

Sure, doesn't give any potential for them to start lower than the Championship though which would be shame.

The cynic in me isn't overly confident that big money will punish big money even over blatant fraud. Corruption´in its most unappologetic form is basically the new norm under hypercapitalism so not holding my breath here. However it would be so nice that just for once some semblence of justice is actually made. For the health of the game it really is needed. People are becoming more and more apathetic towards football due to how broken and corrupt it is. Do the right thing now Premier League.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

That just gives them a year in the championship then back to the Premier League and business as usual. 

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

how about 200 points so they end up where they belong?

The Championship might have something to say about having a club that fancies itself a CL winner with obscene squad thats probably worth more than the squads of the entire league combined. Edit - and as said above, it's not really a punishment. They spend a year in the Championship, walk it, and straight back in with nothing changing.

Best to send them right to the bottom. By shuttering them.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 4

I think the parliament proposed health check licenses are badly needed. Not just with City but also with every other club. Cheat? Lose your license and start at the bottom. Try to form a super league? Lose your license. Bought by a bloodthirsty authoritarian regime? Lose your license. 

The PL fears this though, so I don't see it happening.

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd be extremely surprised if Villa hadn't broken the rules as well somewhere down the line. And that goes for most clubs with money

(This isn't a defence of City)

Was a lot of Championship clubs angry at us when we were down there

24 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If they were docked 80 points they’d probably still finish the season with more points than we did in 2016 🥲

Just now, Zatman said:

That there was although a far as I can tell we still followed the rules at the time. They were open to loopholes, much like how cheslea have spent more than they were intended to be allowed to by FFP. The result in both cases...the rules got changed shortly after.

Stadiums can't be sold for profit as of 2021.

And players amortisation can now only be done for a maximum of 5 years regardless if contract length being longer. 

We also sold our stadium for 56m, which was a fairer reflection on the value than Derby sold there's for (80m at the time, now the owner wants to sell it on for only 20m), and Wednesday sold theirs for (60m). So even though it was a loophole, we didn't take the piss.

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We had cut staffing so cost saving. Also, we had parachute money PLUS new ownership (Dr Emoji), thus wiping out the debts, therefore our wiggle room was more than teams already down there. It was imperative we went straight up though under that regime due to the spending. However, again, when we failed to go up we had more parachute money AND new owners once more (Big daddy Nas and Wes!0 clearing the old debt and once again giving us wiggle room as far as EFL FFP was concerned, so we could spend more, again.

Edited by stewiek2

What Man Citeh did is just an early echo of what the super league would be like. Spend what you want, and if that's not enough then cheat. It would be a league of who's got the craftiest owner - I mean what is Messi supposed to do when the Saudis, Qataris and the UAE all promise unlimited wages - how does a fella choose? It could actually turn quite criminal, and fast. Which is why City need to be made an example of - the game demands a thick red line or the game is gone. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Yes of course, what do you propose? Throw them out of the league immediately and invalidate all their results?

Yes! A million times yes!

and then tie their supporters arms behind their backs and place them in an enclosure with angry hippos…

You know… to give them the same sporting chance of competing as their cheating team gave everyone else for the past decade!

8 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Yes! A million times yes!

and then tie their supporters arms behind their backs and place them in an enclosure with angry hippos…

You know… to give them the same sporting chance of competing as their cheating team gave everyone else for the past decade!

But FFP in itself is not a sporting chance, its pure protectionism

Which is my conundrum with this, I want man City punished as severely as possible for breaking a rule which I detest and consider to be one of the worst things to ever happen in football and should be scrapped

Maybe football is at a crossroads, if FFP is here to stay then city must be punished, if they're not then you might as well bin off FFP, imo the latter would benefit villa more

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

That there was although a far as I can tell we still followed the rules at the time. They were open to loopholes, much like how cheslea have spent more than they were intended to be allowed to by FFP. The result in both cases...the rules got changed shortly after.

Stadiums can't be sold for profit as of 2021.

And players amortisation can now only be done for a maximum of 5 years regardless if contract length being longer. 

We also sold our stadium for 56m, which was a fairer reflection on the value than Derby sold there's for (80m at the time, now the owner wants to sell it on for only 20m), and Wednesday sold theirs for (60m). So even though it was a loophole, we didn't take the piss.

We did. For all the protests, we didn’t break any rules, not even FFP unlike clubs like Bournemouth. 

EFL clubs should be more mad at the bubble of the television money they’ve created and how they allow the most dubious owners to ruin the likes of Wigan. 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It would be good for some people to understand that breaking the rules, and breaking the rules and deliberately manipulating your financials and accounts to hide the fact that you've broken the rules are two very different things.

Red Bull Racing are happy that someone else will be known for this in the future instead of them.

Â