Samir Carruthers

VillanousOne

Premier League quality players don't need League One experience

I don't even know where to start with this one, sorry. Jesus. 

I have never seen Luke Shaw, Raheem Sterling, Jack Wilshere, Daniel Sturridge etc playing in League One.

David Beckham, Frank Lampard,Ian Wright, Teddy Sheringham have all had careers after plying trade lower down

I have never seen Luke Shaw, Raheem Sterling, Jack Wilshere, Daniel Sturridge etc playing in League One.

So you're saying that Samir Carruthers is as good as them? 

No, just that it's not essential to have lower-league experience.

So what is essential to a players development? Playing Nextgen? Watching the first team on TV?

Famous loans to teams not in Premier League

Ross Barkley - Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds Utd.

Jay Rodriguez - Burnley, Stirling Albion, Barnsley

Gary Cahill - Burnley, Sheffield Utd

etc etc etc..

Couldn't someone just as easily make a list of 'famous' players who haven't had a loan outside the premiership?

It proves nothing.

They could, but what would it prove? That not all Premier League players needed to have experience in the lower leagues? No-one is debating that point.

The point being debated is, is it, or can it be, beneficial to send players to lower leagues instead of dropping them into the first team?

Famous loans to teams not in Premier League

Ross Barkley - Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds Utd.

Jay Rodriguez - Burnley, Stirling Albion, Barnsley

Gary Cahill - Burnley, Sheffield Utd

etc etc etc..

Couldn't someone just as easily make a list of 'famous' players who haven't had a loan outside the premiership?

It proves nothing.

They could, but what would it prove? That not all Premier League players needed to have experience in the lower leagues? No-one is debating that point.

The point being debated is, is it, or can it be, beneficial to send players to lower leagues instead of dropping them into the first team?

Yeah hence why I said it would prove nothing....

There are cases for both arguments, as I said.

And your wrong it is definitely being debated whether it's needed not just beneficial.

Baker and Weimann.

Both may have been given there debuts under different managers, but they hardly featured during those seasons, Baker only played 8 times and Weimann 14 under McLeish and not many of those appearances were starts, last season they got 26 and 30 respectively, with both starting 25.

You could argue for both Clark and Bannan too, who both started a considerable more amount of games than the seasons beforehand.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

Baker and Weimann.

Both may have been given there debuts under different managers, but they hardly featured during those seasons, Baker only played 8 times and Weimann 14 under McLeish and not many of those appearances were starts, last season they got 26 and 30 respectively, with both starting 25.

You could argue for both Clark and Bannan too, who both started a considerable more amount of games than the seasons beforehand.

I wouldn't class lambert as bringing those players into the team.

Baker had played under Houllier and McLeish but got suspended and injured so didn't get more appearances.

14 games for Weimann is a decent amount in his breakthrough season.

Clark and Bannan (more so Clark, who lets not forget is has the scond highest villa appearances behind gabby) had had ample opportunities within the first team prior to Lambert.

Hell Carruthers himself even got a couple of run outs for mcLeish.

So far Lambert has only given Williams and Burke game time, and that has only been in minuscule amounts.

Baker and Weimann.

I wouldn't class lambert as bringing those players into the team.

Baker had played under Houllier and McLeish but got suspended and injured so didn't get more appearances.

14 games for Weimann is a decent amount in his breakthrough season.

Clark and Bannan (more so Clark, who lets not forget is has the scond highest villa appearances behind gabby) had had ample opportunities within the first team prior to Lambert.

Hell Carruthers himself even got a couple of run outs for mcLeish.

So far Lambert has only given Williams and Burke game time, and that has only been in minuscule amounts.

Baker started 6 games under McLeish, had been loaned out for the first half of the season and only made his first appearance of the season in January. Last season he started 25 times, more than 4x the amount from McLeish's season.

Weimann started 5 under McLeish and was loaned out to Watford, only to be brought back as back up when injuries hit. Again, 25 starts last season, 5x more than 11-12.

The fact is these two were players that were back ups to the first team before Lambert came and have been semi-permanent first teamers since. If that isn't playing our academy players, I don't know what is.

As for Clark and Bannan, I only said you could argue a case for them too, as Clark almost doubled the amount of Villa appearances he had in the previous 3 seasons in just one, and Bannan started double the amount of games than the season before.

The assertion wasn't that Lambert doesn't give our academy players debut's and chances, it was that he doesn't play them, but there are at least 4 players that he has played considerably more than they had previously been played before he came.

Isn't this blog advertising just spam? 

I get enough of this rubbish on newsnow.

Not really.

It's a well written piece, relevant to the discussion and no one is forcing you to click on it and read it.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate that mate.

Isn't this blog advertising just spam? 

I get enough of this rubbish on newsnow. 

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. As the above poster said, it's relevant.

It's also not essential to not have lower league experience.

Â