Samir Carruthers

VillanousOne

Got fouled seven times in that game. Once on right wing, once attacking half, the rest in the defensive half.

What's your conclusion?

Wigan couldn't handle him.

For comparison, in yesterday's game against Arsenal we fouled Jack Wilshere 3 times. Seven is a lot of getting hacked down and picking yourself up again.

Yes he is tricky

More from the BBC full time report

"In fact, it was MK, soaking up the pressure and breaking through the superb link-up play of on-loan Aston Villa youngster Samir Carruthers, who carved out the better chances, with Reeves flashing over and Williams slapping the post with a deflected volley."

Exactly what we need. :)

Wigan is Championship level opposition. He made a real effort to show what he could do, and he got noticed.

Carruthers and Grealish would improve our midfield but it is too early to give them that responsibility. They will make mistakes, lack consistency, we could only use them as subs. Need a few more months in the lower divisions starting games. Next season they will get their chance.

They could be plying their trade in the Championship with us next season :P

• 3 weeks later...

I would really question whether this lad is any worse than some of the recent midfield signings.

While the campaign appears to be for Gardner to be given a chance, the (albeit limited) times I've watched Gardner & Carruthers, I would say Carruthers is the better prospect.

Who knows what benefit a run in the team, may do for him? I believe he can improve further.

I accept that I don't see these lads on a day to day basis at the training ground but from match performances, how many would put Tonev for example ahead of Carruthers?

I would really question whether this lad is any worse than some of the recent midfield signings.

While the campaign appears to be for Gardner to be given a chance, the (albeit limited) times I've watched Gardner & Carruthers, I would say Carruthers is the better prospect.

Who knows what benefit a run in the team, may do for him? I believe he can improve further.

I accept that I don't see these lads on a day to day basis at the training ground but from match performances, how many would put Tonev for example ahead of Carruthers?

In his very limited appearances he has looked good, and has certainly not been phased by the opportunity.

A number of players his age are now playing in the premiership, but will he get a chance under Lambert.

I am beginning to get the feeling that Lambert, in spite of all the hype to the contrary, is afraid to involve the young players.

Hoping Grealish can be our Barkley in time, he certainly needs to be given a chance next season. Worth remembering that Barkley didn't look that amazing on loan.

I would've recalled Carrathurs in January, I get the impression Lambert doesn't rate him that much.

• Like 1

Hoping Grealish can be our Barkley in time, he certainly needs to be given a chance next season. Worth remembering that Barkley didn't look that amazing on loan.

I would've recalled Carrathurs in January, I get the impression Lambert doesn't rate him that much.

It does seem like that Lambert doesn't care for players who aren't "his", with exception of those he needs to use.

• Like 1

I was listening to the villa podcast and Chris made a good point. We'd like a Ross Barkley coming through the ranks but actually we don't know if we have one because we seem really reluctant to give them the chance.

Very much this, I am afraid that he will throw away our emerging young players in order to play his own bought-in young players.

Some of these guys, nurtured for years by our youth system, could well be our premiership stars of the future, but they need the right manager to progress them.

It does seem like that Lambert doesn't care for players who aren't "his", with exception of those he needs to use.

Really? Weimann?

Really? Weimann?

There are always exceptions, and he did play Weimann even though he was horribly off the form.

I understand the sentiment but let's not pretend our academy produces a lot of stars.

Quite right, nor does any academy, but a couple every so often is all that is required.

I believe he does watch our young players, and perhaps he does not believe they are good enough, and he may well be right, but I feel that he has had opportunities to play them from the bench instead of some of his `own players', which he did not take.

Our young players will never develop if they are not given even a glimpse of breaking into the first team. The Sheff Utd game in the cup was the perfect chance to throw one or two in, but Lambert bottled it due to his comments pre-game.

• Like 3

When you look at who Lambert has signed most of them have had a couple of years of first team action in the lower leagues. Hopefully sending Carruthers / grealish etc out is him letting them get that experiencw before they are moved up to our first team squads

I was listening to the villa podcast and Chris made a good point. We'd like a Ross Barkley coming through the ranks but actually we don't know if we have one because we seem really reluctant to give them the chance.

The same Ross Barkley who was sent out on loan for the past two seasons.

• Like 1

Â