Samir Carruthers

VillanousOne

We played Gardner, Johnson and Carruthers centrally with Gardner slightly deeper in the Westwood role.

So he was centre midfield but slightly more advanced - box to box I guess. I think that is the right position for him he is just a little off the pace at the moment but that'll come. His problem though is it needs to come quick because he needs to be impressing to get himself ahead in the pecking order to get starts/sub appearances in Premier League.

We played Gardner, Johnson and Carruthers centrally with Gardner slightly deeper in the Westwood role.

So he was centre midfield but slightly more advanced - box to box I guess. I think that is the right position for him he is just a little off the pace at the moment but that'll come. His problem though is it needs to come quick because he needs to be impressing to get himself ahead in the pecking order to get starts/sub appearances in Premier League.

Cheers for that, I think he is best played centrally, I suppose if he's being tried where he played last night he is competing with Delph/KEA for a place? 

VERY poor last night, but in good company with Johnson and Gardner also doing nothing at all

Completely disagree, he wasn't amazing but very poor? Absolutely not.

His passing was purposeful going forward and he tried to play the ball to players who can't really take it on or play natural one touch football. He played a fairly forward role and with two kids up top we struggled to really make chances due to younger players without tactical experience. He pushed us forward and because of that made mistakes, he created chances though which is what you want from a guy playing his role.

Johnson had purple patches and so did Gardner, Johnson showed a lot of energy and supported going forward and backward, at least these three guys can control a strong pass whereas players such Bennett, Tonev and Lowton consistently made errors on the ball.

It was a step up from the US tour and Chesterfield made it a testing affair, especially as we were playing a really inexperienced team, I felt it was a good workout and while the score could have been worse there were some good signs.

It was a step up from the US tour and Chesterfield made it a testing affair, especially as we were playing a really inexperienced first team, I felt it was a good workout. 

• Like 1

VERY poor last night, but in good company with Johnson and Gardner also doing nothing at all

we'll have to disagree then

we'll have to disagree then

Any reason why you think he was very poor? I'm interested as you didn't explain why you came to that conclusion you just said 'very poor'.

You said he did nothing but he created most of our attacking players chances to move forward.

Are you Lambert in disguise? ;)

gone according to Villa Ireland Facebook page :(  I thought he had a future at the club

*comment has been deleted now so maybe was just a false alarm*

Edited by Zatman

To be honest, he's never looked likely to hold down a position in our midfield.

Seems like a nice lad, who has got some good skills bit ultimately not the little extra needed to make it in the premier league.

If he goes, I'll wish him luck and will be interested in how his career goes.

• Like 1

He was good against Man Utd that time, but nothing since. It's a pity. He won't get a Championship loan. Probably back to League One, possibly on a permanent. I was as excited about him way back when as I am about Grealish now. Again it's the thing that if they're good enough, they're old enough. Waiting for their attributes to increase over time just isn't realistic outside of Football Manager. If you're a good premier league player, you always have been.

• Like 1

I thought it was Liverpool he had that good appearance against, under McLeish? Either way, I agree with theboyangel, he's never made a big impression, unfortunately.

• Like 1

To be fair, he wasn't actually given any sort of chance for us to gauge that he doesn't have what it takes at this level. However the way things have panned out I do think his ship has sailed now. He'd be better off moving to a lower-league and trying to work his way back up from there.

• Like 1

Never looked up to it. If he can make it via dropping down the leagues and bouncing back up then good luck to the lad

He wont be the last of our lot that'll have to follow that route. Character building

Â