What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

I finished Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night earlier. 

Good game. Fundamentally a really solid Castlevania game in the SotN vein (unsurprisingly). It scratched a 'retro' itch. Perhaps a little muddled (there's way, way, way to much in the way of things to pick up, recipes, 'magic', etc) but you can boil that down to some fundamentals and smash through it.

If you liked the Castlevania games, in the style of SotN, jump on it. 

On 31/12/2020 at 20:07, Chindie said:

I finished Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night earlier. 

Good game. Fundamentally a really solid Castlevania game in the SotN vein (unsurprisingly). It scratched a 'retro' itch. Perhaps a little muddled (there's way, way, way to much in the way of things to pick up, recipes, 'magic', etc) but you can boil that down to some fundamentals and smash through it.

If you liked the Castlevania games, in the style of SotN, jump on it. 

I bought it on NYE, it was like 60% off. Still need to get into Castlevania proper. I think I'll start with SotN. But this looks like it's really good to have on the back burner.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is fantastic.

If you liked that and want more Bloodstained then you can pick up the NES inspired Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 1 & 2. The first Curse of the Moon is pretty short as it's more of a prelude to Ritual of the Night, but the sequel is way more substantial. So if you're a fan of the 8-bit Castlevania games on the NES then I'd advise checking out Curse of the Moon 1 & 2 as well. 

I picked up Crusader Kings III last week, and have lost a few days to it already, just started a new game as a minor earl, Alfred of Wessex, in 867. I have some big plans once I've dealt with these heathens.

Taking a bit of a break today and playing There Is No Game, it's a very short point and click adventure, very funny, the premise is that you should just not bother playing it and them encouraging you to just not continue, a bit in the vein of the Stanley Parable, but with lot of puzzles and homages to classic PnC games. 

cSk9kxh.png

Edited by Davkaus

So Outer Worlds is astounding.  Started it on Friday, haven't put it down since.  Plays like Skyrim, feels like Mass Effect, looks like Prey.  If not for Control, this would be pushing for my #1 game of the current (well, last I suppose now) gen.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

That looks interesting actually.

Is it similar to Hollow Knight @Chindie?

It is and it isn't.

Hollow Knight is a pure Metroidvania really. This is that mixed with a Rogue-lite. You have auto-generated levels with random loot drops where you collect what are essentially souls to unlock permanent upgrades and also stack the loot deck in your favour. And you also can find ability upgrades in classic Metroidvania style to open up more areas as you explore.

I found Hollow Knight grabbed me quicker and it's a more 'pure' game, because this has that random generation, loot drop style that means each run isn't quite the same. Some runs you get crap and struggle, others you waltz through because you got a good weapon and good trap items and then you got modifiers that just hyper charged both. It's very, very addictive and very hard. There's been a couple of boss characters I've come across I don't know how you'd beat. The first boss I can now best 9/10 times but even that smashes me if I've got a bad hand dealt.

It's worth a go. Just give yourself a few runs to get your eye in - the jump feels weird at first for instance, and learning you can dodge through enemies is vital.

• Thanks 1

Dead Cells is amazing - Just picked it up myself.

It's a joy to play because of the controls and once the game has it's hooks into you, you start refining your playstyle and paying attention to your builds. The skill ceiling is extremely high but it's so fun from your first run onwards.

I've done the first "round" by cheesing my way through the game and the final boss with turrets. Instead of moving on (there are 6 difficulty levels) I'm going to go back and refine my parrying and dodging.

On 01/02/2021 at 11:15, Chindie said:

It is and it isn't.

Hollow Knight is a pure Metroidvania really. This is that mixed with a Rogue-lite. You have auto-generated levels with random loot drops where you collect what are essentially souls to unlock permanent upgrades and also stack the loot deck in your favour. And you also can find ability upgrades in classic Metroidvania style to open up more areas as you explore.

I found Hollow Knight grabbed me quicker and it's a more 'pure' game, because this has that random generation, loot drop style that means each run isn't quite the same. Some runs you get crap and struggle, others you waltz through because you got a good weapon and good trap items and then you got modifiers that just hyper charged both. It's very, very addictive and very hard. There's been a couple of boss characters I've come across I don't know how you'd beat. The first boss I can now best 9/10 times but even that smashes me if I've got a bad hand dealt.

It's worth a go. Just give yourself a few runs to get your eye in - the jump feels weird at first for instance, and learning you can dodge through enemies is vital.

Just noticed it's £16 for the base game and all DLC at the moment.

Hmmm...

21 hours ago, ender4 said:

Just started Heavy Rain (2010) as i had heard good things about it. 

Wow, it feels dated, graphically and movements and control.

Will still play it through though.

I loved that game when it came out.

Great storyline; I remember the controls being slightly awkward at the time though.

On 02/02/2021 at 14:39, Designer1 said:

Just noticed it's £16 for the base game and all DLC at the moment.

Hmmm...

Bought it.

Lovely, lovely combat. Fluid as a big fluid thing.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Bought it.

Lovely, lovely combat. Fluid as a big fluid thing.

It's great. Very addictive.

I beat the 'final' boss the other night, but I had whole bits of the game I'd not even seen. Have all the upgrade runes now as well.

I'm pretty sure there's whole elements of the game I've not even encountered yet.

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Just got hold of Red Dead Redemption 2 on PS4 which should arrive in next few days.

What are folks thoughts on it? 

I'm about to experience the first 1, should also be here in a few days.

I'm basically starting to go through the 7th gen consoles in 2021 :lol:  . I came up on a PS3 and bucket load of games for cheap. I had a Wii at the time and safe to say I missed out on a lot of heavy hitters of that era.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Just got hold of Red Dead Redemption 2 on PS4 which should arrive in next few days.

What are folks thoughts on it? 

I thought it was a solid 7/10 game which should have been a 10/10 given how utterly fantastic RDR1 was.

Its hamstrung by a very poor first couple of hours and then a later section which was completely unnecessary and pulled me out of the immersion that I had been enjoying.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm about to experience the first 1, should also be here in a few days.

I'm basically starting to go through the 7th gen consoles in 2021 :lol:  . I came up on a PS3 and bucket load of games for cheap. I had a Wii at the time and safe to say I missed out on a lot of heavy hitters of that era.

RDR1 is absolutely superb. Have fun :thumb:

• Like 1

Â