What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

On 08/04/2021 at 11:56, Designer1 said:

Also thinking about picking up Rebel Galaxy Outlaw to scratch the Elite itch.

Had about a week with it now, despite a few grumbles (learning curve is a bit steep, they very much leave you to work things out on your own - perhaps a bit too much - which can make the early game a bit of a grind and the combat overly brutal) I'm really enjoying it.  Definitely good bang for your buck, if I'd have forked out full-title RRP I'd have probably still been happy.

Couple of quick-start tips if you decide to pull the trigger, spoiler-tagged if you'd prefer to go in blind...

Focus on mining for the early game, the RoI and time is exponentially bigger than taking any missions.  Your starter ship will do perfectly well for this.

Get familiar with power management; in addition to distributing power across the three bars for shield/engine/weapons, the radial menu has a dedicated option for "divert power to shields" which - though not immediately apparent - is a separate function to that of the power bars and will dump all of what is essentially your afterburner bar (bottom right of the HUD) for immediate restoration of shields (provided there's enough juice in said bar).  Wish I'd have realised this sooner as it would have saved me a lot of aggro in early skirmishes.  Once you get enough cash for bigger and better ships/weapons, you should also consider building your weapon setup around maximising available power; e.g. ballistic weapons have a longer reload time vs energy weapons but draw no power whatsoever, so if you were to go with a dedicated ballistics setup, you'd want to immediately redistribute your power bars from weapons into shields and engines as soon as you launch from anywhere (power levels always reset on docking) as you won't be using that power.  Of note as well; once you get into fitting turrets (all of which will auto-aim and fire in combat, save for the mining ones) to your ship, all of them including the energy ones operate off their own dedicated power, so you don't have to factor these into your power draw at all.

Get into the habit of opening the targeting system at the start of any and every engagement (radial menu, top option) to get a handle on the situation; target prioritisation is crucial to surviving firefights and you'll generally want to focus on the nearest attacking fighter.  As a rule, fleeing doesn't tend to work as enemies will just chip away at your aft until it crumbles (**insert Kenneth**), unless there's two sides in the fight and they're focused on each other.  The targeting option also lets you see what cargo is being carried, so you can gauge whether a fight or shaking down a cargo-hauler will be worth the time/risk.

That's scratching the surface, it's deceptively deep but there is zero to no hand-holding.

• Thanks 1

Fantasian on Apple Arcade. If you liked the early Final Fantasy games (IV and V probably being the best comparisons), you'd enjoy it. 

It's also kind of huge, although understandably linear, for what is essentially a mobile game...it just doesn't feel anything like one. More like an indie studio made a really good homage to early FF games using a unique art style. 

Also chugging away with Persona 5 Strikers. I've mentioned already it's a good sequel, rather than a mere spinoff, but I'm aiming for the plat which requires an unreal amount of grind for one trophy. 

Been playing Outriders Xbox series s with a few online mates.

Downloaded army of the dead 4 as well as Enlisted (world war 2 game) which is really good and in BETA stage, remind me of saving private ryan..

Edited by Dave-R

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried to get back into Horizon Zero Dawn as its free on Play At Home at the moment with all the DLC included.  Maybe I should start again rather than continue because at the moment it just feels clunky and old.  It's probably me being over critical but I just don't "get it" like others seem to.

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Yoshi's Story. What a game.

Edit: It's Yoshi's Island I'm playing. I'm dumb. 

Your missing out if you havent played yoshi story on the n64. Thats my favourite yoshi game ever 

• Like 1

Saw returnal was getting some decent preview comments but doesn't look my type of game

Also downloaded the RE village demo but didn't play it due to the stupid time thing 

Then saw the comments from the days gone director about people not paying full price for games 

Makes me think what has happened to demos? They seem so few and far between now, obviously things like game pass means you can try a game by virtue of downloading the whole thing rather than needing a demo but at the same time I still think they serve a purpose, no way am I paying £60 for returnal, I would be all over a demo for it though 

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Your missing out if you havent played yoshi story on the n64. Thats my favourite yoshi game ever 

I bought it the other day, can't wait til it comes! It's one of those games that I overlooked when I was a kid for reasons I don't even know. 

18 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I bought it the other day, can't wait til it comes! It's one of those games that I overlooked when I was a kid for reasons I don't even know. 

Let me know what you think! Its not the hardest game but i loved it

On 23/04/2021 at 08:03, villa4europe said:

Saw returnal was getting some decent preview comments but doesn't look my type of game

Also downloaded the RE village demo but didn't play it due to the stupid time thing 

Then saw the comments from the days gone director about people not paying full price for games 

Makes me think what has happened to demos? They seem so few and far between now, obviously things like game pass means you can try a game by virtue of downloading the whole thing rather than needing a demo but at the same time I still think they serve a purpose, no way am I paying £60 for returnal, I would be all over a demo for it though 

I'm pretty certain Returnal will be cheaper in shops and if not I can wait a bit.   Its from one of my fave developers so I'll get it for sure,  just maybe not day one. 

Interested in RE Village too but haven't been able to play the demo's because of the time constraints.  Really enjoyed RE7 though. 

On 24/04/2021 at 07:18, Seat68 said:

Just finished Dishonoured on the xbox via Game Pass. Broadly I enjoyed it. The final mission was pretty tough but that aside it was OK. 

I love Arkane. Never played Dishonored 2 or Prey but I loved the first Dishonored. They had a lot of staff who worked on creating City 17 from Half Life 2 which really showed in the similar atmosphere they create in their games. I’d love for them to get a chance to make a proper Thief game. 

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I love Arkane. Never played Dishonored 2 or Prey but I loved the first Dishonored. They had a lot of staff who worked on creating City 17 from Half Life 2 which really showed in the similar atmosphere they create in their games. I’d love for them to get a chance to make a proper Thief game. 

I think I am giving Dishonoured 2 a go. Running out if games of that type. That allow freedom. 

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I think I am giving Dishonoured 2 a go. Running out if games of that type. That allow freedom. 

The 2nd is just as good as the first, possibly better.

There’s a guy on YouTube called Stealthgamerbr who does 5-10 min videos on Dishonored that are quite frankly unbelievable, he plays the game in a way that I didn’t even think was possible.

• Thanks 1

Not sure where to put this, but there's a big sale on PSN at the moment.  Some very decent titles for around 80% off some of you may have been waiting out for;

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/deals-at-playstation-psn-uk-mgs-v-the-definitive-experience-ps319-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-ps499-zombie-army-trilogy-ps449-more-3714464

• Like 1

Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight platinumed, now on to Persona 3 Dancing in Moonlight.

It's probably quite foolhardy, but I've decided to try and platinum all the Persona games available on PS4. 

They are;

Persona 5

Persona 5 Royal

Persona 3 Dancing in Moonlight 

Persona 4 Dancing All Night

Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight 

Persona 5 Strikers 

Being able to revisit the characters of P3 is a rare treat, if only because P3MC can be an utter dick via text box choices. His catchphrase is 'I don't care', if you choose it often enough anyway. Someone made a whole video of exclusively using the most uncaring dialogue choices. It's great in a weird kind of way because it has had no bearing on anything, really (unless you really care about romance options). 

• Like 1

Booted up Morrowind a few days ago and even with One X enhancements it’s looking rough these days. Can’t believe they haven’t tinkered with it some more to remove the draw distance fogging. Still has a charm to it though. Silt Striders are still awesome. An atmosphere not recreated by Oblivion/Skyrim or TES Online.

It has a mystique and air of genuine wonder as you travel around, despite the rough graphics it’s a far more realistic and grounded world than later games could manage. 

Every 5 years or so I’ll play it for a bit and it always reminds me of getting it on the OG xbox back in the day, how they got it to run on it I’ll never know. It’s 18 and a half years old now!!!!! It just feels so nostalgic to play. Balmora is like a second home to me now I’ve visited it so many times since 2002. Amazing how some games can just transport you right back. 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2021 at 10:25, Ingram85 said:

Booted up Morrowind a few days ago and even with One X enhancements it’s looking rough these days. Can’t believe they haven’t tinkered with it some more to remove the draw distance fogging. Still has a charm to it though. Silt Striders are still awesome. An atmosphere not recreated by Oblivion/Skyrim or TES Online.

It has a mystique and air of genuine wonder as you travel around, despite the rough graphics it’s a far more realistic and grounded world than later games could manage. 

Every 5 years or so I’ll play it for a bit and it always reminds me of getting it on the OG xbox back in the day, how they got it to run on it I’ll never know. It’s 18 and a half years old now!!!!! It just feels so nostalgic to play. Balmora is like a second home to me now I’ve visited it so many times since 2002. Amazing how some games can just transport you right back. 

I have put more hours into Skyrim than any other game, I might need to give Morrowind ago. I loved Oblivion but missed Morrowind. 

Â