What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

The marketing for that character arc was overstated but the fact is, she does develop as a character over the course of the game, becoming more hardened like the Lara Croft we know of old and accustomed to doing what is needed to get shit done. Kill of be killed.

The missteps are that some of that character change happens a bit to fast in parts of the game. Its a difficult issue to solve though because at some point, gameplay will suffer if Lara has to remain useless at combat for a larger period in a game with a fair old chunk of pretty fast paced combat.

Loving Tomb Raider, personally.  Couple of hours in, besides the obvious Far Cry 3 comparison it's also got a touch of Assassin's Creed and even Resident Evil 4 to it.  And personally, I don't find Camilla Luddington near-climaxing everytime Lara has a bump to be too distracting.  At least not in a negative sense.  Fnar.

The marketing for that character arc was overstated but the fact is, she does develop as a character over the course of the game, becoming more hardened like the Lara Croft we know of old and accustomed to doing what is needed to get shit done. Kill of be killed.

The missteps are that some of that character change happens a bit to fast in parts of the game. Its a difficult issue to solve though because at some point, gameplay will suffer if Lara has to remain useless at combat for a larger period in a game with a fair old chunk of pretty fast paced combat.

I agree with all of that. It's always a tricky task of balancing a game in terms of gameplay and story and generally you're always going to have to sacrifice a bit of one for the other.

You're right though, it's a case of damned if you do really. If they slowed down the pace of the game too much to keep in pace with the character development, critics would just say that the gameplay was slow in some places. The best example I can think of is with Red Dead Redemption. At the start of the game the story dictates that you slow down and it eases you into the gameplay mechanics on Macfarlane's Ranch, but a lot of the guys that I worked with in games testing, most of whom have a predilection for gameplay over narrative, complained that it started off too slow. You'll never please anyone I suppose. It's very few games that get pacing of narrative and gameplay absolutely bang on, I'm thinking Far Cry 3 is the most recent game I can think of that did that for me, either that or the Arkham series.

Anyway, I'm still really looking forward to playing Tomb Raider.

about 3 hours in to AC3 i think im near the end of sequence 2, close to giving up, not sure why i bother with them, always found them boring and frustrating

not sure whether to stick with it until the native american playable character is in it (the one from the adverts who strangely isnt in it yet)

AC3 is basically a deathknell for the franchise. I liked the series but, having got it on day one, I still haven't bothered to finish it.

This years one, already announced and shown, has the foul stench of pumped out annual cash-in worse than any other entry in the series, which is a helluva an effort.

Managed to buy Sleeping Dogs for £1 at my local Blockbuster yesterday. Sadly it's closing down but bargains are there to be had at this time.

Just started it. Would people recommend sticking with it for the long haul?

No. I picked it up cheap recently aswell, and thought it was shit, gets boring very quickly.

Edited by CastleBromVilla

I really liked Sleeping Dogs, so I would advise sticking with it. However, if memory serves, I don't think the gameplay changes much at all so if you don't like it now you probably never will.

As for AC3, I actually really liked it, and I've been quite a big critic of the AC franchise in general, though mainly the first game admittedly. I'm quite interested in the period that AC3 is set in, so that might have something to do with it, but I just thought it was a lot of fun, looked great, the naval battles were great fun too (which I assume is a popular opinion which is why they're making AC4 about pirates) and had an adequate story running through it, though Connor was a bit of an unlikeable character.

It's by no means perfect, but I was hooked.

Edited by Ginko

Played AC3. Finished the story. Interesting conclusion to say the least and a little disappointing. Enjoyed it for the most part though. The naval battles were one of the highlights though. Now on to Ni No Kuni. 

Got to disagree with the AC series on it's last legs for enjoyment. Replaying AC2 now and hooked again- think this time I'll actually get Revelations/Brotherhood.

I will however say that I have no intention of playing AC3. The American War of Independence strikes me as being an incredibly boring setting, though this has already been debated much on the interwebs. Plus Ubisoft don't appear to have avoided the 'redcoats are the baddies, colonials are the goodies' scenario depite their best efforts to, which is bad form for a period of history where it was a little more complicated than that.

Back on Fallout 3 :D  Started from scratch (because I completely forgot how to control it effectively).  Played Friday night and had to put myself to bed @ 02:45.

Back on Fallout 3 :D  Started from scratch (because I completely forgot how to control it effectively).  Played Friday night and had to put myself to bed @ 02:45.

Ah, so many memories. Like when you go into that run down supermarket, creeping round the aisles. I had quite a funny moment where I think I was in the Nuka Cola factory and went into the toilets and there was a scorpion in there. Great game, but I found it insanely hard at the beginning, especially with the fire ants quest and then when you first make your way to the radio broadcast and you encounter supermutants. Thank Christ I had mines and that supermutants are dumb enough to chase after you as you throw them down.

• 3 weeks later...

picked up lego LOTR and tomb raider today

thought id start with LOTR cos i only intended to play for half an hour, 2 hours later... its good, its the same as all the others but at least they have a little play with the structure, theres no start point where you pick what level / film you want and there are the towns and villages where you do tasks, got the same easy feel to it whilst you pass umpteen replay options per level

Fired up Terraria for the first time after picking it up in a Steam sale ages ago. Hated it after 2 minutes, but was addicted after 30. I understand it's out on XBL now too, or will be soon.

Edited by Laivasse

Â