What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

finally started far cry 3

i like it, like the hunting, dont think the gunplay is anything special, driving is shite, love the size of it, hope it doesnt end up like just cause / mercenaries where im convinced i'll do the lot and end up not bothering, slightly disappointed that the loot is simply for selling, when i 1st started and got a few playing cards i thought it would be for soemthing else

I had no idea the release date for the Carrier Command remake came and went. Totally blew me by, and it's a game I've been looking forward to since I first read that someone was remaking it. D'oh! Upshot is it's now cheap as chips on Amazon and the like. Has anyone given it a pop? Is it any good? Carrier Command (the original) was the first computer game I ever played on my old Atari ST and I loved it to bits, all this remake has to do is have updated graphics and I'm golden.

finally started far cry 3

i like it, like the hunting, dont think the gunplay is anything special, driving is shite,

I loved the driving, I like that you're stuck with the first person camera and all the cars are a bit shit.

Does it seem silly to buy a controller for the PC?

I've got a good amount of games on Steam but never really play them and I think it's down to the keyboard/mouse combination. I think games like Skyrim I'd leave as mouse and keyboard, but I bought Dead Island in the sales and struggling to get used to it. Had a quick look on Amazon and there's a couple floating around for £20. 

I have an Xbox controller (for my 360-obviously) but no cable. 

You can get receivers for wireless 360 controllers to connect them to the PC. I use one. Ebay is your friend on that front.

It's totally worth it and really opens the door to turning your PC into a super powerful console if you hook it up to the TV.

A lot of games play better on a controller tbh.

Do it.

I quite like an FPS on a PC with a mouse and keyboard, it's a bit different. But I think Dead Island is more melee based isn't it? So it probably is a bit of a pain without a controller.

I've got a good amount of games on Steam but never really play them and I think it's down to the keyboard/mouse combination. I think games like Skyrim I'd leave as mouse and keyboard, but I bought Dead Island in the sales and struggling to get used to it. Had a quick look on Amazon and there's a couple floating around for £20. 

Do you mean you just don't have the USB connector cable for the controller? If so then it would be much cheaper to get a replacement one of those, something along these lines would probably fit the bill, or a USB wireless receiver if it's a wireless pad you're talking about.

Personally I would never use a controller for a first person perspective game since mouse aiming is so much better. Even for 3rd person games I often stick with mouse&kb. However for platform games, driving games and shooters like Renegade Ops I have a 360 controller which I bought especially for the purpose.

Edited by Laivasse

Do you mean you just don't have the USB connector cable for the controller? If so then it would be much cheaper to get a replacement one of those, something along these lines would probably fit the bill, or a USB wireless receiver if it's a wireless pad you're talking about.

Personally I would never use a controller for a first person perspective game since mouse aiming is so much better. Even for 3rd person games I often stick with mouse&kb. However for platform games, driving games and shooters like Renegade Ops I have a 360 controller which I bought especially for the purpose.

That link you posted - call me silly but I don't get it. I don't have ANY current cables for my controller so where abouts would that circular input bit go?

I've got a USB connector that allows me to connect a PS2 controller, I could probably plug in the PS3 controller now that I think of it but controllers are so much easier!

Replaying Catherine at the moment. Playing the Rapunzel arcade game in the bar, completed the first 64 levels to complete the first game, have now unlocked the second game and have 64 more to go...gosh it's frustrating. I always mess up on levels with ice blocks and forget to hang, so fall of the edge to my doom.

As for the main game, I'm trying to get the true freedom ending. For those who havent played it, basically there is a moral compass which changes through out the game, depending if you say nice things or not so nice things. It affects the ending you get. For the true freedom ending you have to finish the game with the moral compass smack bang in the middle.

Hopefully it'll tide me over till Ni no Kuni.

That link you posted - call me silly but I don't get it. I don't have ANY current cables for my controller so where abouts would that circular input bit go?

Those connector cables would only be for the wired version of the 360 pad, if you had lost the original cable. Since you have a wireless pad, a wireless receiver like Chindie mentioned would be what you need, although I wouldn't know what to recommend. eBay might be your best bet as he says. Of course, as the price creeps towards £20 maybe it's better just plumping for the pad if you can get one for that price.

Those connector cables would only be for the wired version of the 360 pad, if you had lost the original cable. Since you have a wireless pad, a wireless receiver like Chindie mentioned would be what you need, although I wouldn't know what to recommend. eBay might be your best bet as he says. Of course, as the price creeps towards £20 maybe it's better just plumping for the pad if you can get one for that price.

Ah!

In that case I think I'll go for a separate pad. 

Cheers all.

Replaying Catherine at the moment. Playing the Rapunzel arcade game in the bar, completed the first 64 levels to complete the first game, have now unlocked the second game and have 64 more to go...gosh it's frustrating. I always mess up on levels with ice blocks and forget to hang, so fall of the edge to my doom.

As for the main game, I'm trying to get the true freedom ending. For those who havent played it, basically there is a moral compass which changes through out the game, depending if you say nice things or not so nice things. It affects the ending you get. For the true freedom ending you have to finish the game with the moral compass smack bang in the middle.

Hopefully it'll tide me over till Ni no Kuni.

I love Catherine, great game. I went back through and got all the different endings as soon as I'd played through the game the first time. I didn't have the patience for the Rapunzel game though, still haven't finished them. I love some of the music on the jukebox in that game. There's one really funky one from a Persona game which is just awesome.

Really great game, something a bit different and a lot of fun. I used to find myself zoning out and thinking about pulling and pushing blocks and climbing the towers. It was a bit freaky. The same happens with me when I play Chime on the PS3. I zone out and visualise myself making  patterns with different shaped blocks. I think I might have issues.

Ha, yeah, funnily enough (given the story in Catherine) I did dream about bushing blocks alot the first tmie I was playing it. Not being chased by chainsaw babies or bum-tongue monsters or anything, or even climbing now that I think about it...just pushing blocks. Heh. Did you play Persona 4? Fantastic game. I hope they get their shit together for a Persona 5 this gen, although they didnt rush to get P4 out, which was released well into the current gen. It has that same 'feel' about it that Catherine does, and very few other games do. It realy feels alive, I guess.

No I've never played a Persona game but always thought tey looked good. I just kept forgetting about them wen it came to buying games. Was it Persona 3 on the PS2 that was set in a high school and when it turned to night some of the students went round killing the monsters that came out? Something like that? A girl I was doing seeing at the time had it and I watched her play it a couple of times. It did look really good. Is Persona 4 on the PS3? If it is I might have to look at getting it, either that or dust off my PS2 and see if I can get it anywhere online. I suspect there's not a lot of PAL copies that were made though so they're probably still really expensive.

I think the Persona game for the Vita that came out recently got really good reviews didn't it? I don't have a vita so I can't testify to that though.

But yeah, Catherine was wonderful in every way, and fulfilled my Japanese stereotype quota of being absolutely bonkers. Was that monster an ass with a tongue? I can't remember now, but I had it in my mind that it was cleavage instead. That freaking monster baby creeped me out. Screaming, "DADDDDDDY! Don't leeeave meeeee!", as it chased you up the blocks. Zombie Katherine bride was freaky too. Love that game. Think I'll have to give it a quick blast now.

Did you guess the whole deal with Erica before the reveal?

:D

P3 and P4 are both PS2. There was a P3+ (the exact name for which I can't remember) was on PS2 aswell, but P4+ (which has the subtitle The Golden) is the game on Vita. It has some extra characters, bonus scenes, stuff like that. All of the Persona games are set in high schools, but yeh P3 specifically had you go fight the monsters at night. P4 was kind of similar in that respect, although I don't think it had the same association with having to do it at night time.

I liked P4 a whole lot more than P3+, though. There is a lot of dungeon crawling involved (if you ever played the .hack// games, very similar to that - randomly generated dungeons with the same corridors over and over again, set in different themes for the different 'worlds') in all the games which becomes a bit of a grind, but the social stuff outside the dungeons is great. The story is superb aswell, it's basically a mystery, with you trying to track down the perp behind the events that are going on. Towards the end of the game you have to pick who you think is behind it - if you get it wrong, you play out the end game and finish it, but it's then revealed to you that you didn't get the perp, so actually you kind of lose. If you do pick the right one though, you play the end game, plus an extra bit and the true ending. It really kept me guessing all the way through, which is an odd thing for an RPG.

I didn't see the Erica thing coming, no. Although on this playthrough there have been a couple of MASSIVE tells that I can't believe I missed before.

The biggest one was when Orlando, referring to Erica, says about something that 'she would have to be female first' or words to that effect. It's on the 3rd or 4th night in the bar I think. Thinking about it though, the first time round it probably just seemed like off the cuff banter, rather than it actually being the truth

Ah cool, thanks for the info. They definitely sound like my kind of thing so I'll look out for them online, hopefully they're a bit cheaper than full price.

Ha, yeah I noticed that one. Johny and Orlando make quite a few mentions of it when teasing Toby about fancying her. I think Johnny mentions something about her being different in highschool at some point or something like that. It's been a while since I played though.

Edited by Ginko

Â