What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

The moment that made me alt+f4 was pretty easily on, I ran in to a bunch of enemies that had, for want of a more accurate description, molotov cocktails. I was on my way back to reclaim my points from the previous life...And walked off a deceptively thin bridge. Completely avoidable, and all of my stuff is gone. Not unfair at all, I should have watched  where I was going, but ARRRRRRRGH.

I really want to like this, I think most games have trained me to be careless with their softly-softly approach, this is a nice change of pace, but the moments when I carelessly through everything away get more infuriating each time.

You definitely have to approach everything deliberately. Even the most feeble enemy in the game can quickly kill you and mistakes are punished harshly. You train yourself to that kind of approach in that opening area of the game proper and come to appreciate it later.

I've lost 99 Humanity and about 1M souls trying to take down a late game boss at SL25. If you play for a while, losing your bloodstain will become much less upsetting. Games like PES and FM make me much angrier than Dark Souls, because the scripting takes control away from you. When you die in Dark Souls, it's always on you. Just get into that mindset ahead of time, "I'm going to die, it will be my fault, I will learn, I will approach what killed me more thoughtfully next time" and the anger gets replaced by calm focus and a touch of, well, paranoia.

The best bit of advice I would have for playing Dark or Demon's Souls is to make sure you have no committments for an hour or more, because that's how long it can take to get through a stage, it is the way I play anyway. I'm constantly skulking around corners, shield raised, waiting for stuff to jump out at me or for set pieces to kill me in an instant.

Chindie and the_eristic are right, the more you play and the more you get punished, the more you will learn, the better you'll be and the less you'll care about losing a bloodstain. You just have to be careful, extremely careful. The thing I find with Dark or Demon's Souls, is that over they years of playing RPG's, JRPG's and adventure games, I am so used to being rewarded fo exploring areas off the beaten track. Whereas this game is no different in that there are plenty of great items to find in this way, they're usually guarded but an absolute shit of an enemy, sometimes one that is way above your level at that point in the game, so exploring can lead to a very quick death which is frustrating when you have a lot of souls collected. The best example in Dark Souls I can think of is those bastard Black Knights in the Undead Burg. They can be very time consuming and extremely dangerous if you haven't grinded in the area for a while. I'm not saying don't explore, but be prepared to face enemies you're not ready for if you do.

I also agree with Chindie in that the Drake Sword makes the first areas a lot more bearable. You can get it...

... just after you meet Solaire in the Undead Burg, when you get to the long bridge with the dragon who breathes fire at you where you're supposed to quickly run off to the right and down the steps. You have to have a shit ton of arrows and basically shoot the dragon's tail that hangs down over the side of the bridge over and over again until it gives you the sword as a reward. It can take a while, or if you're brave, I think it is possible to fight the dragon on the bridge itself and hack at it's tail, but I wouldn't recommend it. I've only ever seen it done by a guy who tested the game and completed an entire run through in something ridiculous like an hour. But yes, the sword makes the next few areas a bit easier.

Edited by Ginko

Finding Tomb Raider quite delightful.  After a few hours though I don't sense it's going to be the biggest of games.

I loved it. More fun than Uncharted especially in the sense that you feel it's nearing the finale and then it shoots off on a tangent.

• 2 weeks later...

It basically is Mortal Kombat. Same team behind it - all they've done is spent 2 years tinkering the mechanics and adding in a few new mechanics that are fairly superfluous.

Still, plays well enough.

I thought Tomb Raider was very good, but not better than Uncharted 2. I recently completed it and got the single player achievements so I'm moving on now to...

Mass Effect 2. I've completed it before, and ME:3, but I absolutely adored the second installment and it's been a while. I've downloaded the Genesis DLC so I can choose the choices that I didn't make when I played Mass Effect the first (and only) time and this time round I'm playing Shepard as a badass. I'm not sure what class I'll make him yet, but it won't be a soldier.

I'm actually just waiting for all the free DLC and Genesis to download before I get started. It's taking far too long.

Edited by Ginko

Playing Dragon's Dogma. It's good, but not too exciting until you either venture out at night, at which point it becomes horrifying, or you're walking down the road and something HUGE and angry plops down on your head out of nowhere. Those fights are seriously fun.

• Like 1

Deadly Premonition: Directors Cut. Awfully fantastic. Swery is mental.

I heard the frame rate is dog turd compared to the xbox version. How you finding it?

FarCry3: Blood Dragon has made my bandana soaked, my pecks bulge, my biceps sweat and my junk 10 times larger.

Mark IV style MUTHA****A!!!!

Edited by Ingram85

metal gear rising

I really don't get it, struggling to think its anything other than absolutely **** terrible

Played it over a friends and it's awful. Attacks remind me of Dynasty Warriors, the movement though, it's awful and I kept missing attacks as I would shoot by them (that Ninja shit)

when I say it reminds me of Dynasty Warriors, I actually like those games (some of them) MGR just feels like a shit clone, less fun)

Â