London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

Just got back from the Hyde Park concert

Snow Patrol and Duran Duran were the highlights though Stereophonics weren't bad either

Red arrows flew over the top and we had the ceremony on the screen

Left as Macca game on the big screens but could hear everyone singing inside Hyde park as we walked back towards knightsbridge so was surprised to see so many bad reviews for him , will have to watch the playback on Tv tomorrow

Apart from not knowing who Dizzy rascal and that Emma bird were I really enjoyed the whole experience , Mr Bean and 007 it shouldn't have worked but somehow it just did

Well done to all involved

Arctic Monkeys: bit of The_Rev trivia; I saw them play to about 200 people at Coventry Colosseum on the night when I found out I was going to be a dad for the first time. Now they are opening the Olympics.

Ah the Coventry Colosseum, possibly the grottiest club in the UK. My memories of the place are the 80p a double vodka nights and the amount of sweat that would drip from the ceiling on a Saturday night.

Your memories still hold true.

That was excellent.

Most ceremonies are a bunch of lights going on and off with kids running round to make shapes. We had that and more.

Nice to see a bit of character in there with Mr. Bean and James Bond. I really do love Rowan Atkinson.

ah, what could be better than knowing I've got 10 pages to catch up on, and a busy day today so plenty to do later to see if I've caught the mood or got ot wrong.......

I thought it was rather grand, I enjoyed it, and frankly, I'm not really that bothered how it was interpreted in Guatemala.

Thumbs up, except for the bizarre Hey Jude rendition. I think that might be the last we see of matey boy at big events.

The creepy creatures from under the bed, I wouldn't have guessed that if I'd been allowed a thousand guesses as to the content.

well done

I largely enjoyed it. It had some weaker moments - started slowly, the musical section/average British Saturday night dragged terribly despite some great tunes, and of course wheeling out McCartney to **** up. The industrial revolution section stole the show, it had the best spectacle of the entire thing and hung together best of sections. The Bond and Bean skits worked better than I'd have expected them too as well. And of course, great music throughout till McCartney ruined it.

I did think the entire show suffered from 'needing the commentary team to explain it' syndrome - a lot of things in it don't play to large swathes of a British audience without explanation, let alone a global one. For example the NHS section's nod to Great Ormond Street Hospital had my mate (who isn't thick) without the foggiest until the commentators pointed out what it was. You can do the same thing for moment after moment in the whole show. I didn't have a **** clue who Branagh was supposed to be until Huw Edwards explained he was 'Isembaird' Brunel. I'm convinced without explanation the Glastonbury Tor thing would be gotten by a percentage of the audience in single figures globally.

And JK Rowling shouldn't have been let near it. Her ego has been massaged enough by now, and we've plenty enough classic childrens literature without reminding people to line Warner Brother's (and Rowlings) pockets a little bit more. Her (and Voldemorts) appearance actually put me off the whole thing for a while.

I'm a massive fan of The Beatles and McCartney and even I'm sick of hearing Hey **** Jude at these big events.

Also thought it was bizarre playing 'The End' at the start of the Olympics. Yeah it's the end of the opening ceremony, it doesn't deserve a song about it.

I loved hearing In Dulci Jubilo about halfway through the ceremony, that song makes me happy every time.

My wife ( who is Hungarian ) knew That the proceeds from Peter pan book sales go to Great Ormand street hospital and got the tie in immediately

Buggered if I knew that

Thing that amazes me more than anything is the relation the red arrows get... Huge cheer at Hyde Park , even a few misty eyes from some people caught up in it all ... Was the same the other week at Farnborough Airshow , they flew at 4 and then a heck of a lot of people left despite their being 4 more planes schedules , Vulcan and f-18 amongst them

I just thought people would have been a bit Meh to them by now , still pretty cool seeing them fly don't get me wrong but the excitement they generate was just surprising...

I would guess I've seen them over 50 times by now , maybe it's just me :-)

I see the Red Arrows all the time, living in Lincoln, but I'm still impressed whenever they're training.

Anyone got a decent link to a video of the opening ceremony, by the way? Got back from holiday in the early hours so didn't catch it, but have heard it was excellent.

I see the Red Arrows all the time, living in Lincoln, but I'm still impressed whenever they're training.

Anyone got a decent link to a video of the opening ceremony, by the way? Got back from holiday in the early hours so didn't catch it, but have heard it was excellent.

It's on the BBC website, right here.

Anyone know what will happen to the rooms in the athletes village after the games? Will they be available for regular folk like myself to rent? If I move back to London, I would like to move in there, looks quite nice.

Â