London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

Utterly **** brilliant. Arise Sir Daniel Boyle. And top THAT, Rio.

Except, except, except - and we all called it earlier in this thread - YOU USELESS TOSSER MCCARTNEY. They should NOT have let him do it.

BTW I thought The Arctic Monkeys were excellent.

The only British thing they really missed out was Doctor Who - a big **** off TARDIS and some Daleks would have been nice.

All in all that has to go down as a success!

My highlights -

Danny Boyle and Underworld, the greatest audio-visual team ever!

The NHS segment

The Cauldron was pretty amazing

The bad bits -

Frank Turner, Emily Sande, Arctic Monkeys(no-cares anymore)

The Queen

Seeing two greats well past their best is never nice to see (Macca/Ali)

I thought it was ace (high five us all!) but Paul (can't sing or hit his note or hit his cue) McCartney? Jeez. If he had to sing, they should have done the Jubilee routine, i.e. him singing Live or Let Die but drowning him out with fireworks. That would have worked much better.

Oh well, it could be worse. Poor old Grandmaster Flash (legend!) was creating his own party on the Commonwealth Games closing ceremony.

Arctic Monkeys: bit of The_Rev trivia; I saw them play to about 200 people at Coventry Colosseum on the night when I found out I was going to be a dad for the first time. Now they are opening the Olympics.

Ah the Coventry Colosseum, possibly the grottiest club in the UK. My memories of the place are the 80p a double vodka nights and the amount of sweat that would drip from the ceiling on a Saturday night.

Arctic Monkeys(no-cares anymore)

Disagree, they are as good as they ever have been, problem is the new stuff is too slow for that kind of gig

They are still one of the biggest British bands going, if they had booked the biggest, coldplay, then people would still moan

Personally I'd have gone with kasabian because IMO they are the best live band going but again I'd expect half on here to disagree

Have to say too (don't think anyone has picked up on it yet), what a brilliant gesture to not have a "big name" lighting the Olympic flame but instead pass it over to a bunch of young athletes. Aside from Paul bloody McCartney *shudder*, top notch.

Â