Formula One - 2012

BOF

I love that the photographer on the left hand side of the screen is looking in completely the wrong direction whilst utter carnage goes on behind him :D

Was a proper smash, what was Gosjean thinking? He does a tiny jink to the right whilst they are side by side which starts it all off. Someone could easily have been seriously injured.

They're now saying enclosed cockpits are an inevitabillity in F1. Yeah that's just what we need. Safety that ignores the root cause of the problem. Don't get me wrong, the sport needs to be as safe as is sensible, but I think it is. It is precisely because F1 and it's feeder series' have gotten so safe that you have arseholes like Grosjean who think they can do what they want on the track with little or no consequences to themselves or others. You see it all the time with the younger drivers coming through the formulas. If you remove most of the potential danger from a racing series then you remove any incentive for a driver to drive responsibly or with any consideration to his fellow racers. GP2 is a lunatic's asylum and a breeding ground for hooligans who think you can joyride recklessly through a race because the worst that will happen is that they might have to retire if you get it wrong.

If you bring it to the Nth degree and go back to the 50s (which I'm not suggesting we do), those guys knew if they didn't drive properly and didn't overtake properly then they could die at the next corner. That forced them to drive very responsibly. Some still didn't, of course (I'm looking at you Farina), and they usually paid the price. But by and large, the lack of safety put manners on them. We've come so far from that in terms of driver etiquette and respect now that you need relatively little racecraft to get into F1. You just need to be rich, quick and disrespectfully reckless with your life and everyone elses because odds are you'll never pay the price.

F1 is a single-seater open cockpit open wheeled formula and should remain that way. Vet the knobheads coming into the sport and that way you won't have to wrap everyone else in cotton wool :rant:

So them pesky news people are reporting the Lewis has done a deal with Mercedes to replace Michael (who's retiring again) next year. But why would he do that? Its got to be an inferior car, and surely he wouldn't sacrifice the change to win in exchange for even more money?

So them pesky news people are reporting the Lewis has done a deal with Mercedes to replace Michael (who's retiring again) next year. But why would he do that? Its got to be an inferior car, and surely he wouldn't sacrifice the change to win in exchange for even more money?
I haven't seen a report stating a deal is done. I've only heard Eddie Jordan state that Hamilton's representatives are talking to Mercedes. As you would expect them to do. It would be negligent not to at least talk to them at a time when you are trying to negotiate with your current team. It tells your current team that a deal is not a given and it tells you whether Merc are a realistic possibility. Mercedes are a 'top' team that might have an open seat in the near future. Depending on what Michael Schumacher is doing. I suspect Chinese whispers grabbed hold of this story and ran with it.

Â