Formula One - 2012

BOF

So, is Vettel going to be rightly punished for overtaking under yellow flags, penalised time/points, and lose the title to Alonso. He should be, I think, if 'them's the rules'.

Not the ideal way to win a world title, but I'm guessing Alonso would take it!

Would be harsh I think for a number of reasons and I expect Red Bull would appeal the decision if taken. Sky did an excellent summary of the incident after the race. There were about 4 or 5 yellow flashing lights (aka flags) then a green one to suggest problem over but then another 3 or 4 yellows. It was quite confusing and it wasn't even clear why there were yellows anyway.

To confuse the situation even more the car he was passing immediatly pulled into the pits so SV could not have given the place back even if he wanted too (and also means he didn't really get any advantage by passing).

Sky picked up on very close to the time (lap 4) but it seems either the stewards knew and decided not to act or were unaware until after the race. At the time I wanted Alonso to do it but now I would feel sorry for Vettel if he was stripped of the title for such an odd incident.

So, is Vettel going to be rightly punished for overtaking under yellow flags, penalised time/points, and lose the title to Alonso. He should be, I think, if 'them's the rules'.

Not the ideal way to win a world title, but I'm guessing Alonso would take it!

A green flag superseded the yellows. The overtake was perfectly legal, as confirmed by FIA film footage.

Â