Formula One - 2012

BOF

Eddie has strengthened his stance now. He's now saying a deal between Mercedes and Hamilton could be imminent. Now technically that still means sod all. Many things could happen.

Eddie for the BBC"]

Lewis Hamilton 'set for move to Mercedes from McLaren'

Britain's Lewis Hamilton is on the verge of leaving McLaren to drive for Mercedes next season, according to BBC F1 chief analyst Eddie Jordan.

The former team boss says Hamilton will replace Michael Schumacher, who will retire from driving for a second time at the end of the year.

"I believe Hamilton and Mercedes have already agreed personal terms and a deal could be imminent," Jordan said.

In a statement, Mercedes said they did not comment on rumours.

But they added: "Until we are in a position to confirm our full driver line-up for next season, it is inevitable that there will be speculation around this topic."

McLaren issued their own statement, insisting they were still in talks with the 2008 world champion about a new contract.

"We have been told by Lewis Hamilton's management team that the story is untrue," said a McLaren spokesman. "Negotiations between Lewis Hamilton and McLaren continue."

Hamilton's management team, XIX Entertainment, also claim they are in "advanced discussions with McLaren about a new deal" and said Hamilton's focus was on this weekend's Italian Grand Prix at Monza.

However, there has long been talk about Hamilton, 27, leaving McLaren, the team he has been with since the age of 13.

His management team have already approached Red Bull and Ferrari this summer but been rebuffed.

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone suggested on Sunday that Schumacher was retiring for a second time, following his comeback in 2010.

Ecclestone later conceded he did not know for certain whether the 43-year-old German would quit, while the driver himself said he had not yet made a decision about his future.

But Jordan thinks the seven-time champion is on his way out and will be replaced by Hamilton.

"Some weeks ago, I said on TV that I felt Lewis was on the move and I had an idea at the time he had been speaking to Ferrari, which we now know is true," Jordan said.

"But I can now confirm his people have had meetings with Mercedes.

Image of Andrew Benson Andrew Benson Chief F1 writer

"Bernie Ecclestone made it clear to me live on television on Sunday that Schumacher was leaving, although Schumacher later played it down.

"So it would appear Michael is leaving and Lewis is arriving at Mercedes.

"Hamilton has not agreed terms with McLaren yet. In fact, the team have made it clear they cannot offer him as big a salary as his current $15m (£9.42m) deal, which was negotiated before the global financial crisis.

"On top of that, McLaren have to pay for their Mercedes engines for the first time next year."

Jordan said a switch to Mercedes would make a "lot of sense" for Hamilton and his manager Simon Fuller, the man behind the Spice Girls and now David Beckham.

"Fuller is trying to position Hamilton as a major global star, like Beckham, and Mercedes is a much bigger global brand than McLaren," said Jordan.

He also said Hamilton's signing would be a "massive coup " for Mercedes at a time when there has been some uncertainty their position in F1.

If Hamilton left McLaren, it would leave the team with a huge hole to fill.

Among the candidates for the vacancy alongside Jenson Button would be Scot Paul di Resta, currently at Force India, and Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen.

Di Resta, who has the same management team as Button after splitting with Hamilton's father Anthony, has continued to impress this season, his second in F1 with Force India.

Raikkonen, who drove for McLaren from 2002-05, was tipped for a return to his former team in 2010 before negotiations broke down over money and team boss Martin Whitmarsh turned to Button.

Raikkonen returned to F1 this season with Lotus after two unsuccessful years in world rallying and although he has had some unconvincing weekends, his performances have been increasingly impressive.

BBC Sport understands Raikkonen is on course to satisfy performance clauses in his contract that would commit him to Lotus in 2013, which means any team that wanted him would have to pay Lotus compensation.

The 32-year-old Finn currently lies fourth in the championship, one place ahead of Hamilton, with eight races remaining this season.

If you can get decent odds on the Mercs winning this weekend maybe put a few quid on them. Monza is uniquely suited to their double-DRS system. All long straights and the fastest track of the year. If they don't win at Monza they won't win anywhere. Obviously I take no blame if it doesn't come in though...

What a cracking day!

We were at the track against the fence on the pit straight near the chequred flag. When the race was over some of the guys lifted up the fence and we scrambled under to run out on the track. We got under the podium for the presentation and got sprayed with champagne! :D

Will put some pics up. Was so good :) Still beaming the next day :D

• 2 weeks later...

so boring. One of the worst of the season, generally as a track, after abu dabhi and bahrain its a **** awful track for spectators. Monaco has the history attached to it, but is still rubbish. The only thing going for this one is appreciating it as an endurance track, and the reliable knowledge there's likely to be a crash or too in it, but one for the purists I suppose. I watch all of them anyway, but urgh. Generally dull, bit gutted for hamilton really. Now it's support fully behind alonso from now on. Feck off vettel, he must be due another DNF soon. *fingers crossed*

I even watched the build-up; which I never usually do. I thought the race itself was mediocre. It had it's moments but nothing to write home about. A great setting but a fairly annoying GP. The guarantee of safety cars wrecks the flow of the race. Glad it's over and on to the next one.

My mate was wondering whether all of the KERS stored by all of the cars over the whole weekend would be enough to power one of those floodlights (of which there are 1,600) for the duration of the race. I dunno :) I don't really care either.

If I had the money its the one GP id love to go to as the setting looks stunning.

Street circuits are crap for overtaking so its all about the pitting strategy which went out the window the moment the race car come out as everyone dived and changed tyres.

The setting is ideal for TV and I imagine Singapore has a great nightlife. But if I was attending a GP from a fan's POV I'd go to Spa. Or if I had the readies, Monaco.

The setting is ideal for TV and I imagine Singapore has a great nightlife. But if I was attending a GP from a fan's POV I'd go to Spa. Or if I had the readies, Monaco.

Me and a couple of mates are planning a trip to a European GP next season, Spa is my choice but others want to go to Monza :-/

Monaco is consistently the worst 'race' of the season imo

Me and a couple of mates are planning a trip to a European GP next season, Spa is my choice but others want to go to Monza :-/

Monaco is consistently the worst 'race' of the season imo

I can recommend Monza :)

One of the guys I was with had been to Spa the week before and said it was very pretty being set in the woods but that the atmosphere was better at Monza, especially with the fans being allowed on the track for the presentation. The Italians don't do any kind of bag checks so you can bring in your own beers and food which helps.

Another one of the guys I was with had been to Monaco and said it was a bit boring. The fan facilities are not very good and it was a bit of an anti climax. Probably great if you have a boat in the bay though :P

I got talking to another group of fans (English lads decked out in McLaren gear) and they said Singapore was the best race they had been to, more because of the setting being in the middle of the city I think so the parties were good.

You could probably talk to 10 different people and get 10 different answers.

Â