Formula One - 2012

BOF

I didn't want to pick up on the word 'stall' either :P Last year (or was it the year before), McLaren 'stalled' their rear wing by blowing extra air over it triggered by a vent opened and closed by the driver's knee. This extra air upset the regular airflow over the wing making it stall. This season's DRS isn't a stall. It simply opens the whole wing up and doesn't affect the airflow up to that point. The only stalling going on this season is Mercedes' ingenius DDRS* that pipes air from the rear wing to the front wing and is then used to stall the front wing.

* Double Drag Reduction System

I didn't want to pick up on the word 'stall' either :P Last year (or was it the year before), McLaren 'stalled' their rear wing by blowing extra air over it triggered by a vent opened and closed by the driver's knee. This extra air upset the regular airflow over the wing making it stall. This season's DRS isn't a stall. It simply opens the whole wing up and doesn't affect the airflow up to that point. The only stalling going on this season is Mercedes' ingenius DDRS* that pipes air from the rear wing to the front wing and is then used to stall the front wing.

* Double Drag Reduction System

:cry:

Four Force India team members were involved in a violent incident on their way back from the Bahrain Grand Prix track on Wednesday.

A fire bomb landed near their vehicle in a traffic jam. They continued unharmed after about three minutes.

A spokesman said they were not the target of the attack, which took place on the outskirts of the capital Manama at about 8pm local time.

One team member not involved in the incident has asked to return to the UK.

hmmm.

Bahrain circuit chairman Zayed R Alzayani said: "They weren't targeted. They just happened to be there.

"I think it's unfortunate. It's an issue of timing. It could happen in any place in the world really, getting caught up in a riot or a fight or anything."

:clap::crylaugh:

This guy's as good as comical Ali.

Thanks to both of you... all clearly understood.

Though I have not thought deeply about this subject, one would think that anything that helps to achieve more overtaking must be a good thing, as F1 races had become rather too much of a procession.

However, why they complicate this technology with extra rules such as 6.67 seconds, or being within 1 second of the car in front, is a mystery to me.

That said, Sunday was truly a tremendous race and I found myself sitting alone but still shouting encouragement for the McLarens.

Well if they didn't have the 1 second thing then it wouldn't really be worth doing it. Because if everyone could use it all the time then it wouldn't really give anyone an advantage and so overtaking wouldn't be increased.

Well if they didn't have the 1 second thing then it wouldn't really be worth doing it. Because if everyone could use it all the time then it wouldn't really give anyone an advantage and so overtaking wouldn't be increased.

Good answer. I told you I hadn't thought about it.

The way the aerodynamic regulations are written in F1 has made it very difficult to overtake. The proper way to resolve this is to write the aerodynamic regulations in such a way that cars are designed that are not difficult to overtake.

Now the above does require effort. So instead of going to all that trouble, F1 decided to introduce a magic button. This magic button (DRS) is only available to the trailing driver and it means he can pass the other car without actually racing him. He just has to pull up behind him in the detection zone and then saunter past effortlessly on the next straight. It is artificial overtaking and it is a lazy way to solve a technical problem. I appreciate however that it does appeal to the playstation generation and to the fairweather fan who will quite readily admit that he doesn't actually care about the art of racing or how you achieve an overtake on a car that doesn' t want to be overtaken. You see, contrary to modern F1, it is not actually your divine right to get past someone if you find yourself behind them.

Anyway, you end up in discussions about DRS being good or bad. The majority think it is good, because the majority aren't actually race fans. They're casual fans who are merely curious and need their attention constantly massaged lest they switch to another channel. But numbers are numbers.

And that brings us to the real reason. F1, more than most other sports, is ruled by the dollar, as evidenced by the fact that it is currently putting it's 'family' at risk by bringing them to Bahrain so that Bernie can collect his tens of millions from the current regime.

I appreciate however that it does appeal to the playstation generation and to the fairweather fan who will quite readily admit that he doesn't actually care about the art of racing or how you achieve an overtake on a car that doesn' t want to be overtaken.

Whilst not belonging to the playstation generation, I am clearly no F1 expert and bow to your superior knowledge. I feel much the same about 20/20 in cricket.

However what is the problem with KERS and why have this 6.67 secs per lap rule?

No problem with KERS. Every driver has KERS available to him. It's up to him and him alone to decide where and when to use it, and similarly other drivers can defend using it. So no-one is a sitting duck as a result of KERS. Plus, it has applications relevant to road cars. There are road cars that use it now. The technology and it's application within F1 is completely different to that of DRS which is nothing but a magic button given to one driver in order to completely disadvantage another. As for limiting the time to use KERS, it is supposed to be a tactical supplement to the regular engine power, not a constant addition to it. Irrespective of that, the battery wouldn't be able to last an entire lap.

I'm exhausted talking about it (elsewhere) and I don't want to put the effort into a post that would sufficiently sum it up. Suffice to say all of the above but with much much much more besides.

I agree with BOF about DRS and also about KERS. And whilst I'm no go-to guy on F1 I'd like to think I know a few things about it. It's a lazy fix.

(P.S. bring back refuelling)

Vettel makes it 4 winners for the first 4 races, turning into a fascinating season, Mclaren looked to have the field in their hands initially with the rest nowhere, now, Red Bull tweak the back end and it appears like 'theyre back. Ferrari still look very average indeed. Fantastic to see the Kimi and Grosjean on the podium.

Hope Mclaren have something coming along to put them back in with a chance of competing at the front.

Great race and great season so far (I fear the red bull dominance starts here)

mclaren pitcrew are in for an earful i would think, ruined button and hamiltons races in succession now.

Gutted Vettel didn't pick up a puncture towards the end, but good to see the Lotus' up there nevertheless!

Â