Formula One - 2012

BOF

54 days away but who's counting eh? unsure.gif

The cars will start to get rolled out soon.

Can Ferrari and McLaren bridge the gap to Red Bull?

Can Mercedes join the party?

Kimi Raikkonen is back so will Renault join the party?

The Hulk is back.

Grosjean is back.

Along with Grosjean we have 2 new Frenchmen on the grid.

We have a Senna in a Williams Renault, 18 years on.

3 teams have changed their names.

We already have a technical regulation controversy (reactive ride height) so at least it's consistent.

We have a 20 race calendar for the first time in the sport's history.

Discuss !!

If it's as one sided as it was last year, I won't be watching too much.

Red Bull were way out there ahead of the rest.

One thing is that I don't think Vettel can cope with a fight in the middle of the pack, unless others ahead mess up big time.

Canada was the best race, he couldn't take Button coming from LAST to WIN. I don't think Vettel could manage that at the moment.

Williams have made the very risky and frankly ridiculous (IMO) decision to partner Maldonado with Senna. They've not only ditched the developmental prowess and experience of Barrichello but they've also overlooked the proven talent of Adrian Sutil; dropped from Force India. So in a season where they'll likely have a pretty good engine in the car (they've switched to Renault) and should make strides forward technically, they've lumbered themselves with a potentially disastrous and inexperienced driver pairing. Maldonado last season had glimpses of talent. Would have beaten Barrichello in the WDC had Hamilton not wiped him out @ Ste. Devote. And Williams have been waxing lyrical about Senna's potential but I'm afraid I can't see it. He didn't do particularly brilliantly when he replaced Heidfeld at Renault last season. Yes, he too showed glimpses, but both of them weren't consistent enough for me. And Maldonado particularly failed to last the pace in most races.

Red Bull had by far the best car and by far the best driver last year. Hopefully Mclaren (and lesser so) Ferrari close the gap.

I'll be signing up to the HD pack on Sky so that I get to watch all the races live. (current Sky customers can get £50 cashback if you sign up to HD via Quidco).

Williams have made the very risky and frankly ridiculous (IMO) decision to partner Maldonado with Senna. They've not only ditched the developmental prowess and experience of Barrichello but they've also overlooked the proven talent of Adrian Sutil; dropped from Force India. So in a season where they'll likely have a pretty good engine in the car (they've switched to Renault) and should make strides forward technically, they've lumbered themselves with a potentially disastrous and inexperienced driver pairing. Maldonado last season had glimpses of talent. Would have beaten Barrichello in the WDC had Hamilton not wiped him out @ Ste. Devote. And Williams have been waxing lyrical about Senna's potential but I'm afraid I can't see it. He didn't do particularly brilliantly when he replaced Heidfeld at Renault last season. Yes, he too showed glimpses, but both of them weren't consistent enough for me. And Maldonado particularly failed to last the pace in most races.

I think the pairing of Senna and Maldonado is all down to ££££'s, both will attract large amounts of sponsorship money for different reasons.

I think the pairing of Senna and Maldonado is all down to ££££'s, both will attract large amounts of sponsorship money for different reasons.

Absolutely. But BOTH drivers? For a team as rich in history as Williams coming off their worst season in history and with a good engine? It's as if they've thrown this season away already in the hope that they'll be financially secure for 2013. It's a shame. I can understand someone like HRT or Marussia doing it, but for Williams to steep so low is disappointing.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Sauber & Force India get on and whether Caterham (formerly known as Lotus) can catch the tail end of the midfield.

To me Formula 1 remains a sport where the results are more interesting than the event.
There are definitely races that fall into that category. The trick is keeping those to a minimum by picking better tracks and setting the regulations up to be more competitive.

Hmmm. I obviously got so bored with it last year that I clean forgot I was in bof's fantasy f1 league. Is it still possible to find out how close to bottom I actually finished?
You came 25th but you won the final race of the season climbing 5 places in the process! You picked up 3 medals, one of each colour, through the season.

Final table

look forward to it starting all over again... which for me, won't be until May :rant:

but as long as there is a proper duel it should be fun. Alonso in a proper ferrari, hamilton with possible maturity, should be good.

cant see mercedes or lotus with raikonnen doing much though, im sure they'll still be holding steady with force india in the middle

Hmmm. I obviously got so bored with it last year that I clean forgot I was in bof's fantasy f1 league. Is it still possible to find out how close to bottom I actually finished?
You came 25th but you won the final race of the season climbing 5 places in the process! You picked up 3 medals, one of each colour, through the season.

Final table

Woohoo! Top half! Clearly my strategy for this year will be to ignore it completely - seem to pick up my best results when I'm not looking!

Cheers. Bof :thumb::thumb:

Â