Formula One - 2012

BOF

It's a shame when you consider he was seconds from being a world champion.

Yeah, quite incredible, if the rainn had held off until 5 seconds later he'd be World Champion.

He looks like a man who has lost his mojo which is a shame as he is a really likeable chap. I expect he has a few million in the bank so could do as much or as little as he wants from here.

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking race. The Iceman's tyres falling off the cliff added excitement. Pleased for Hamilton and Button, the McL car has been very consistent and would've probably won all 3 races but for mechanic cock ups. Merc finally showed quali pace in the race, FI have dropped into anonymity, happy for Rosberg, bet Keke was looking on in pride.

Four Force India team members were involved in a violent incident on their way back from the Bahrain Grand Prix track on Wednesday.

A fire bomb landed near their vehicle in a traffic jam. They continued unharmed after about three minutes.

A spokesman said they were not the target of the attack, which took place on the outskirts of the capital Manama at about 8pm local time.

One team member not involved in the incident has asked to return to the UK.

hmmm.

I always try to watch the Grand Prix... but can someone please explain what KERS is and there is some other thing, some 3 letter combination, which the drivers switch on and off to overtake.

I've been too long living abroad and missed a lot of this stuff.

KERS - Kinetic Energy Recovery System

Essentially (IIRC) a battery in the car re-charged by the brakes that drivers can use to provide an added boost of about 80bhp for 8 seconds a lap.

DRS - Drag Reduction System

A flap on the rear wing that can be opened at designated points on the circuit, so long as you are within 1 second of the car in front. Opening the flap causes the rear wing to "stall" and makes you go faster.

KERS is a battery that gives the cars 80 extra horse power. The battery recharges by using the heat from the braking around each lap. The drivers are allowed to use their KERS button for 6.67 seconds per lap. They can use it all in one go or use it strategically to defend an overtake.

DRS is a drag reduction system. Basically they open a letterbox in the rear wing that lets the air through, thus reducing the drag and increasing their top speed. It is designed to help them to overtake. During a race they can only use their DRS at a certain point(s) on the track if they are within 1 second of another car at the DRS detection zone. Once open, the DRS stays open until they apply the brake. They can use their DRS at all times during qualifying and practice. It is also the spawn of the devil and the worst rule/system/gadget that has ever been brought into Formula One in my humble opinion.

Â