Formula One - 2012

BOF

I assume today it was a wheel nut problem.

They were examining it afterwards, so I guess they struggled to get it on the first stop and, as a result, struggled to get it off in the second stop. That would explain the two problems in a row.

The problem on the rear tyre is a cross threaded nut, Hamilton today and Button in China. Apparently its a nightmare putting an aluminium nut onto a titanium shaft and once you **** it up once, gawd help yer or something

This isn't realted to yesterday's pit stops specifically, but has anyone ever had a go at doing those pit stops. if you go to a motro show or top gear live (where I was) they often have F1 cars there and you have races against other people to change a wheel.

It is so difficult. They really do make it look incredibly easy.

My dad and I raced against this other couple of dudes. We got 13.5 seconds, for one wheel, and we were the winners!

They practice it hundreds upon hundreds of times until they can do it in their sleep. There's not a whole lot to it once you're well practiced at it. The trick is making it seamless.

? :) I never thought you were. I was chit-chatting too. I can well imagine it's difficult. I wonder which bit is trickier. The accuracy of removing and tightening the nut, or the lifting off and putting on of the wheel on the rim. I'd say the wheel is trickier cuz of the physical element as well as needing to be accurate.

Yep, it's the lifting of the wheel.

They make it look like you just heave it off and slam a new one on. But it's not like that.

I guess the best way to describe it is it's like putting the screwtop on a bottle. It needs to go on dead straight otherwise it's just wrong and you can't get the nut on. Any angle and you basically have to take it off and put it on again.

Combine that with it weighing an absolute fucktonne and it's really tough.

• 3 weeks later...

Not 2012 related but did anyone watch the show on BBC 4 tonight "the killer years"

Worth looking out for on iplayer if you missed it

Never heard of him before but David Purely goes on my admiration list

• 4 weeks later...

cracking race, disastrous decision for alonso to not follow vettel in for pits, they way these tyres fall of the cliff, Im surprised the team kept him out there. He was going to lose a place to grosjean and perez anyway, but if he'd pitted he might have been able to stay ahead of vettel. But still, pleased for Lewis, leads by 2 pts from alonso and 4 from vettel with webber lurking only a few points behind, setting up to be like 2010 at this rate which is splendid stuff.

But seriously, the Mclaren pit crew... AGAIN :D

perez and grosjean drove excellently as well pleased for them. Both could be title winning drivers down the road at some point.

button still seriously struggling though which is a shame.

Â