1. 1. McLeish - Yes, No or Unsure

• Yes - He can take us forward
    • No - We need someone better
    • Unsure - Still need more time

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has to go, he is clueless and it's going to be a barren month.

If Randy had the bollocks to do something tonight we could have a new manager in by monday, a week with the team and a potential confidence boosting win at Bolton.

SSN alwas bang on about the 'Dalglish' effect, we need something similar.

Gave him my full support when he arrived as I didn't care about the BCFC issue and thought with a good squad of players like we currently have he wouldn't go with the negative dross he's renowned for but he's simply a miserable manager and we're now a miserable team that are universally hated.

Houllier got the chop after an 8th place finish and that was with an aspiration for actually trying to win games, and a £18m layout for a striker that would keep us up. So hopefully RL will be as cut throat this time and sack him. And will learn from this appointment when searching for our next manager.

Have never been so disinterested in PL football in the last 20 years.

The thing is I'm actually fine with the squad. The defense is a bit shit but we have some good attacking players in there. There are many things out of McLeish's control but the main things people are complaining about - style of play and tactics - are completely in his control. It's silly really because if anything our squad is more geared towards attack.

Fine with the squad...? Our squad is utter pants, Our centre midfield consisted of Jenas, Herd and Bannan....!

good attacking players - That depends on what you mean by good. We certianly do not have attacking players of the calibre of United, city, spuds, Arsenal, spurs and pool

I agree playing Heskey in Midfield and Gabby on the left side of Midfield is not the best thing to do.

Boring football and I expect us to be in the relegation zone in January, but I voted unsure for a few reasons.

1. I can't think of a realistic, better replacement

2. I wouldn't trust Lerner to think or find one either

3. I firmly believe managers need time. I think it's only fair to give him a chance in the transfer window now he's had time to assess the squad if Lerner backs him

4. Apart from the boring, defensive football, I don't think McLeish is doing an absolute awful lot wrong (*reaches for the tin hat*). I think our decline is largely to do with the players we've lost more than anything McLeish has or hasn't done. Personally, I think Houllier was doing a much worse job, in every aspect of being a manager and I'd have McLeish over Houllier any day

Saying all that, if we are near the bottom in January, I'm sure I'll definitely want to see the back of him

Voted "NO".

I would usually be inclined to say we should wait and see how (and if) he is backed in Jan, what signings he might make etc. but he does not have a clue how to set up our current team. What hope does he have when he can't find a way to use a 20 goal a season striker.

He cannot organise a defense that even MON had looking pretty solid, whilst at the same time keeping us a constant threat on the counter. We've not even gained Birmingham's infamous "difficult to play against" solid defense and work ethic - and that **** hurts when you're unable to draw a positive comparison vs the **** scum.

We have no plan of attack. No redeeming attributes. We don't use pace, width, or penetrative passing/possession football. We cannot keep or pass the ball. Our midfield does not help our defense enough or pass with any kind of vision to our forwards. Our defense play over our midfield and our strikers are left either too isolated or too deep helping out in midfield/wide, and thus are unable to be effective up front and then we instantly lose possession up top to the opposition defense and scurry back to defend. Always inviting pressure onto ourselves.

We don't play to Gabby's strengths, we don't play to Bent's strengths and we don't seem to know how to use any of our players or set them out to be effective.

With that in mind, I am kind of morbidly curious what McLeish is going to do in January. Who are his targets? Is he allowed any money to spend?

I imagine the circus will roll on with whatever comedy signings he might be allowed to make, but I pray that I am wrong.

He should be out before he can do any more damage than has already been done. I feel like it's been all down hill since we appointed Faulkner and I am starting to think it is not a coincidence.

I would take one thousand Houllier's if it ended this words removed reign right now, because at least in his ham fisted way he tried to institute an admirable style of football and an excellent focus on fitness and discipline, even if he botched his attempt rather hilariously.

1. I can't think of a realistic, better replacement

2. I wouldn't trust Lerner to think or find one either

3. I firmly believe managers need time. I think it's only fair to give him a chance in the transfer window now he's had time to assess the squad if Lerner backs him

4. Apart from the boring, defensive football, I don't think McLeish is doing an absolute awful lot wrong (*reaches for the tin hat*). I think our decline is largely to do with the players we've lost more than anything McLeish has or hasn't done. Personally, I think Houllier was doing a much worse job, in every aspect of being a manager and I'd have McLeish over Houllier any day

I would have agreed with all your points in September but in December I think:

I would take an overseas coach or an unproven PL coach from the lower leagues who has shown they can organise a football team to defend. I think this is all a manager needs to have achieved to date to match what McLeish has managed to date.

All Lerner does is give his consultancy an brief when finding a manager - he must now know that he needs to change the brief and look at the likes of proven continental mangers, and Hughes etc. And also mangers in current PL jobs such as Brendan Rodgers.

I agree that a manager needs time but McLeish has shown not even the slightest suggestion that he aspires to have Villa playing winning football. In the vast majority of games we've been set up to not conceed rather than to attack. We have a squad filled with players that want to play attacking football on the ground and to take risks in the opposition half but McLeish has them playing defensive roles or has dropped them if they don't adhere to his rules on the pitch.

Paul Faulkner raved about how AMcL has rejuvinated Stephen Warnock into one of the best left backs int he PL after GH had sidelined him, and if that's the case then he and Randy can't fail to see the harm that McLeish is having on Darren Bent (their £18m investment) who had a handful of touches tonight, Barry Bannan, Marc Albrighton, Stephen Ireland (£8m?), Charles N'Zogbia etc. These players are becoming worthless under McLeish and the club will have to realise that sooner or later.

The only positive thing from tonight and the defeat at WHL is that the mainstream sports media have now jumped on how pathetic Villa have become recently and this will resonate with RL and PF. I think this will only heighten over the Christmas fixtures.

Looking at the poll, we have four bluenoses on this site, clearly.

I never wanted McLeish, why the hell would I? And yes, that is partly because of his Small Heath connections. Obviously. But more so because he is a dreadfully inept manager. More than 16,000 Villa fans joined a protest page against this cretin just days after we were outrageously linked with him, and yet the board went ahead and made arguably the most ghastly managerial appointment in the history of the Premier League. What was the thinking behind it? There is not one single logical reason.

People who went to the 'protest' got slated by fellow Villa fans all over the web and media, for taking a particular stance and action over something which means so much to them. Yes, some football fans can be very reactionary, too reactionary, at times. But, at the end of the day, those people are still part of the lifeblood of this club. Nevertheless, they got slated from all angles.

I didn't go to that protest but one of my best mates did, and I can verify it was done out of sheer frustration, bewilderment and anger at the impending lunacy unfolding before us. It came directly after a season full of nonsensical decisions and embarrassing gaffes, so patience had already been stretched.

At the time these 'protestors' were accused of turning our club into a circus, and embarrassing us in front of the nation. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. But are they the group of fans who look silly now?

Most definitely not, is the answer. And that is because all the many grave concerns about McLeish are being proven one hundred per cent correct, down to the very last detail. He was never qualified for this job. He was never wanted by the fans, as a vast majority. His position was untenable from the get go, as proven by our woeful attendances this season.

And this ultimately lies with our clueless board, who appointed someone not fit for our club. I can scream until I am blue in the face about how shit McLeish is, but it is nothing a lot of us didn't already know long ago. McLeish is poison, but Lerner is the person who has administered that poison to this (once) great club. He is culpable, and it’s not the first time, nor the first major gaffe.

If only more people had listened to the 'clowns' protesting against what was a disastrous appointment? Maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't be in the position we are in now.

Lerner out! McLeish (obviously) out! – He should never, I repeat never, have been appointed.

Voted "NO".

We don't play to Gabby's strengths, we don't play to Bent's strengths and we don't seem to know how to use any of our players or set them out to be effective.

In one of his recent press conferences he said something about Bent having to change his game when questioned on why Bent was such an isolated figure upfront.

I can't stand how everyone is laughing at how boring we are. Those comments from Keegan and Barnes sum it all up really. McLeish is out of his depth and thinks he is still managing a team that needs to scrap and grind out points. In his mind I bet he thinks losing 1-0 to Man Utd is not a bad result. The fact we didn't even try to win the game will be lost on him.

He has to go, his footballs is getting more and more negative. We aren't good at anything at the moment, we don't defend well we don't score many. We don't have a passing game, we don't play on the counter and we aren't a treat in set pieces.

I wanted to give him more time but he hasn't earned it.

I have nothing to add beyond what I have already said umpteem times

This guy was on borrowed time from the moment he stepped into the club, there was no way that this appointment could ever work beyond a miraculous league performance that saw us in the top six.

I just hope he is gone before January so that we can give money to someone who can spend it wisely and gel a team that although talented, needs to be knit together into a cohesive unit.

Something that is beyond McLeish.

I am unsure, but only because I'm not sure if it's just 2 out and out wingers that we need. AML stands on the touchline screaming for the players to push forward and to stop playing stupid passes and giving the ball away, so he obviously cares and wants the players to change.

With 2 wingers we'd feed the machine that is Bent, Albrighton perked up today but he's the only winger we have, N'Zogbia never has or will be a proper winger...

If he doesn't address this in January, he's gotta go for sure. Sadly, this might be too late though.

I backed GH because I honestly thought he had a long term plan and vision of where he wanted to take the club so I was willing to put up with the pains of change.

I don't see anything from McLeish that I can find any kind of comfort in though. No plan, no tactics - just excuses and talk that sounds good but is never followed through in the matches. The way we have played all season has been leading to this point now. The Newcastle game we were awful and very lucky to draw and I think that was the point where my support started to wane. Since then we have been awful and the last 3 games have been embarrassing. We did well against Blackburn, Norwich and Wigan (the 3 to go down?) the rest has been shit.

84% is incredible. I actually expected a split. Even GH had more backers.

Then theres 11% undecided. Only 5% actually want him here and I doubt event they would be too fussed if he got sacked.

Get this clown out and back a new manager in January/Summer, not this one.

At the moment, I don't think Darren Bent has felt this isolated in his whole career. He is wasted at the moment with the way we play. Its no surprise that Blues strikers never scored goals under him.

Â