McLeish - Yes / No / Unsure

Dodgyknees

McLeish - Yes, No or Unsure  

438 members have voted

1. 1. McLeish - Yes, No or Unsure

• Yes - He can take us forward
    • No - We need someone better
    • Unsure - Still need more time

I reckon appointing someone like Mark Hughes would give the club a massive lift. The players seem rudderless and completely unmotivated EVERY game. The fanbase are deeply unhappy. McLeish's football is some of the worst to ever grace the league. Hughes is currently unemployed, and we know he's decent. He's gettable too. He would be treated like the messiah if Randy went out and appointed him now.

Not going to happen is it tho?

Mark Hughes was deliberately ignored in the summer for whatever reason.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon appointing someone like Mark Hughes would give the club a massive lift. The players seem rudderless and completely unmotivated EVERY game. The fanbase are deeply unhappy. McLeish's football is some of the worst to ever grace the league. Hughes is currently unemployed, and we know he's decent. He's gettable too. He would be treated like the messiah if Randy went out and appointed him now.

I believe we bypassed him due to some sort of respect our club had for Fulham's owners and the circumstances in which he left them. However, I will say that, if we get to a certain point in the road (i.e. staring relegation in the face come January) then all bets are off, and Hughes could be in quickly.

Funny thing is I was very anti Hughes last summer, and now it would be like a godsend if we saw his appointment. Boy do I feel like an idiot now...

I believe we bypassed him due to some sort of respect our club had for Fulham's owners and the circumstances in which he left them. However, I will say that, if we get to a certain point in the road (i.e. staring relegation in the face come January) then all bets are off, and Hughes could be in quickly.

Funny thing is I was very anti Hughes last summer, and now it would be like a godsend if we saw his appointment. Boy do I feel like an idiot now...

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. The first thing I said when MON walked was "I'm just glad Hughes is taken". However, since then I've come to realise that he's a fairly decent manager and would be good for us. After every game and abject performance I'm starting to like the prospect of Hughes managing us even more. He's becoming somewhat of an elephant in the room now. While he's out of a job he simply can't be ignored. We must get rid of McLeish and get Hughes in before somebody else snaps him up.

said it before and ill say it again now...the root of most people's hate is cause of where he has come from. let give you a for instance:

we make the same transfers as we have done, played the same line ups in games, same style of play, and same results...but paul mcgrath is our manager. who on here can HONESTLY say that they would be calling for his head with the same venom that you are calling for mcleish's?

McLeish has previous experience he isn't a novice or learning his trade.

His Birmingham side was perhaps the most boring team ever in the Premiership side. His "premiership experience" is of relegations.

Completely negative no plan B.

You do realise Blues only lost ONE more game than we did last season . Wolves lost FIVE more games than they did but Blues went down.

He doesnt know how to win games.

We are seeing the same turd football again at Villa. It is carbon copy.

3 wins so far this season?

That is unacceptable.

Ask any Bluenose fan what the actual football was like under him. They will tell you .

He has no record with developing youth , his Premiership experience is rubbish and his sides play god awful antifootball.

Have you not been watching us this season?

Playing Heskey and Hutton in midfield? Fielding 6 defenders ? Reluctance to use subs ? Isolation of Bent?

Winning 3 games??

He is shite.

Possibly the worse manager in Premiership and certainly the most negative.

yep thanks been to most games including the dire display at spurs...im not defending him, nor our style of play, im just indicating the verocity of the hate towards him would not be as much had we had a villa legend as opposed to our rivals' former manager (ok, mcgrath bad example...platt/dean saunders might have been a better example)

look at the protests before his appointment, IMO mclaren would have been a poorer choice but there were no protests outside VP when we thought he was to be our next manager...

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. The first thing I said when MON walked was "I'm just glad Hughes is taken". However, since then I've come to realise that he's a fairly decent manager and would be good for us. After every game and abject performance I'm starting to like the prospect of Hughes managing us even more. He's becoming somewhat of an elephant in the room now. While he's out of a job he simply can't be ignored. We must get rid of McLeish and get Hughes in before somebody else snaps him up.

Yeah, certainly spot on with that. He was definitely second on the Sunderland list, so it shows he is now the best available if a manager is to get sacked. I would say that him going to Bolton or Blackburn could always happen, so if we have any inclinations towards making a change it does have to be swift...then again our board has no reputation for swift action, so this situation is completely unpredictable for us...I just hope whoever is really calling the shots around here wakes up soon and gets us out of the nightmare we have seen these last two years

Anyone SERIOUSLY think he'll be gone before the end of the season? I dont. I truly suspect Lerner will stick with him

Nope, I said before Lerner will be stubborn and stick with it to prove a point, he see's the fans as the ones who got GH our and stopped the possible appointment of McLaren, he'll want to make sure he doesn't let the fans win again. We are of course, simple men of the terracex.

Which means we can only try but force him out.

well if attendances being down around 5000 this season hasnt done it then nothing will. just have to say tough shit, we're stuck with him, and if lerner were to sack him then he would prob have bruce lined up as a replacement anyway...

said it before and ill say it again now...the root of most people's hate is cause of where he has come from. let give you a for instance:

we make the same transfers as we have done, played the same line ups in games, same style of play, and same results...but paul mcgrath is our manager. who on here can HONESTLY say that they would be calling for his head with the same venom that you are calling for mcleish's?

It is partly where he's come from, but it's also his managerial reputation in general & it's hard to separate the two. I think if it was McGrath he would not be getting the same venom, but that is an extreme contrast because McGrath is a player beloved to the fans here, so of course they would be more generous to him.

A better question would be if it was a different manager with no links to either Villa or Birmingham. I think it is very possible for a manager with no previous history with the club to quickly become heavily disliked by a fanbase.

How about a hypothetical for you:

If McLeish had done everything exactly the same this season & all previous seasons, with the sole difference was that instead of it being Birmingham who he managed and relegated twice, it was with a similar sized club with no particular link to Villa (say, Portsmouth) - do you think he would be getting the same venom?

I think it would be slightly less, but it wouldn't take long to get to the same point he's at now. He would still have the relegation & bad football reputation, the appointment would still have been met with much skepticism, albeit probably less hatred at the start - but the football would quickly speak for itself.

McLeish has previous experience he isn't a novice or learning his trade.

His Birmingham side was perhaps the most boring team ever in the Premiership side. His "premiership experience" is of relegations.

Completely negative no plan B.

You do realise Blues only lost ONE more game than we did last season . Wolves lost FIVE more games than they did but Blues went down.

He doesnt know how to win games.

We are seeing the same turd football again at Villa. It is carbon copy.

3 wins so far this season?

That is unacceptable.

Ask any Bluenose fan what the actual football was like under him. They will tell you .

He has no record with developing youth , his Premiership experience is rubbish and his sides play god awful antifootball.

Have you not been watching us this season?

Playing Heskey and Hutton in midfield? Fielding 6 defenders ? Reluctance to use subs ? Isolation of Bent?

Winning 3 games??

He is shite.

Possibly the worse manager in Premiership and certainly the most negative.

yep thanks been to most games including the dire display at spurs...im not defending him, nor our style of play, im just indicating the verocity of the hate towards him would not be as much had we had a villa legend as opposed to our rivals' former manager (ok, mcgrath bad example...platt/dean saunders might have been a better example)

look at the protests before his appointment, IMO mclaren would have been a poorer choice but there were no protests outside VP when we thought he was to be our next manager...

Him being a bluenose is obviously another minus point to some.

Of course if he was an ex-Villa player would be given more leyway.

Just like at Newcastle the Geordies didn't crucify Shearer even tho he was crap. There's nothing THAT unusual about that.

Rightly or wrongly that is still part of the game.

But at same time Brian Little still got stick -as did John Gregory .

Being an ex-player doesn't give you a free pass from critcism if being shit.

So McLeish being a bluenose is maybe a factor to some but its not THE factor - the football is turd like you acknowledge , his record poor , the club selling players like mad in summer - theres plenty of things ppl are pissed off about .

To overplay the bluenose thing is just silly.

If he was winning games there would be no moaning .

A lot wanted to be proven wrong about McLeish but so far he has been exactly like many said.

People were protesting because he'd just been relegated and his SHA side had been playing dire dire football all season.

McLaren never got those sort of protests a) because he has achieved more and isn't known for playing the worst football ever seen and B) it was just a bit of press speculation, whereas with McLeish by the time the protests went down there was much more weight to the speculation.

I have voted no only because I can't watch the dredge anymore. The last three games I have been watching the clock more than the game. I don't think I have ever done that before.

Unless he can change the way we can play in the next few games then he needs to go. I'm not saying we have to win games but at least look like we are going to try and win.

It is partly where he's come from, but it's also his managerial reputation in general & it's hard to separate the two. I think if it was McGrath he would not be getting the same venom, but that is an extreme contrast because McGrath is a player beloved to the fans here, so of course they would be more generous to him.

A better question would be if it was a different manager with no links to either Villa or Birmingham. I think it is very possible for a manager with no previous history with the club to quickly become heavily disliked by a fanbase.

How about a hypothetical for you:

If McLeish had done everything exactly the same this season & all previous seasons, with the sole difference was that instead of it being Birmingham who he managed and relegated twice, it was with a similar sized club with no particular link to Villa (say, Portsmouth) - do you think he would be getting the same venom?

I think it would be slightly less, but it wouldn't take long to get to the same point he's at now. He would still have the relegation & bad football reputation, the appointment would still have been met with much skepticism, albeit probably less hatred at the start - but the football would quickly speak for itself.

yep i can agree with that, eventually with this style of footy us fans would become unhappy and be looking for a change in management. but i just feel that calling for mcleish to be sacked was always going to happen even if we improved on last season. after a decent (not great, but decent) start to the season considering our squad, people were calling for his head when we went out of league cup to bolton. it was as if people were just waiting for our first defeat so that they could finally say what they wanted to since his appointment. i might be wrong, thats just how i percieved it.

yep i can agree with that, eventually with this style of footy us fans would become unhappy and be looking for a change in management. but i just feel that calling for mcleish to be sacked was always going to happen even if we improved on last season. after a decent (not great, but decent) start to the season considering our squad, people were calling for his head when we went out of league cup to bolton. it was as if people were just waiting for our first defeat so that they could finally say what they wanted to since his appointment. i might be wrong, thats just how i percieved it.
Perhaps a couple may have been waiting for him to fail, but again I must stress that the mood around here in August/September was one of "let's give him a chance". We wanted to be proved wrong. I absolutely hate seeing us play like this. If we had been winning games I don't think many would care, but the fact is we're losing/drawing most of our games and playing absolutely diabolical football at the same time.

I rmber even i posted a thread about "Alex McLeish's honesty" back then

ie- i was trying to say something vaguely decent about him.

I'm sorry but unless he has a road to damascus conversion in the way he manages i really cannot see much good coming from him .

"Its only a game" - someone should actually keep telling McLeish this . Try and win a game - play Gabby upfront for once or something - he was virtually a leftback for most of todays game.

I think McClesish has got a lot of things out of his control.

He has been told more or less there is little to no money to spend on transfers.

The wage bill has to be trimmed.

You have to the best with the squad.

Having said that he buys Hutton,plays Heskey in midfield, loaned our Gardner who is miles better than Herd.

The thing is I'm actually fine with the squad. The defense is a bit shit but we have some good attacking players in there. There are many things out of McLeish's control but the main things people are complaining about - style of play and tactics - are completely in his control. It's silly really because if anything our squad is more geared towards attack.

Â