1. 1. McLeish - Yes, No or Unsure

• Yes - He can take us forward
    • No - We need someone better
    • Unsure - Still need more time

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said before Mcleish problem is that he sets his teams up to not lose, instead of going out to win. Football doesn't work like that. Its frustrating, he is a poor manager, picking the wrong players, wrong tatics. I want him out. Our only saving grace is, is that that there are 3 worse teams than us. Faulkner needs to go too.

Not going anywhere though, he won't be sacked. It took the worlds most convenient heart trouble to rid us of the last failure, and I don't think McLeish has any major ailments.

He's Scottish and ginger, doesn't that count as two major ailments?

Not going anywhere though, he won't be sacked. It took the worlds most convenient heart trouble to rid us of the last failure, and I don't think McLeish has any major ailments.

He's Scottish and ginger, doesn't that count as two major ailments?

Ferguson and Moyes would suggest being Scottish isn’t a hindrance. Infact it might even be a positive...

84% is incredible. I actually expected a split. Even GH had more backers.
Last season VT was plagued by infighting. I wouldn't say Houllier was popular but he had a fair few supporters, which meant there were always arguments between the pro and anti Houllier camps. Now with McLeish we're all pretty much united over this, which is perhaps the one small benefit of him being here. We're in for a horrible time with McLeish, but at least we'll all be relatively united.

MON had his haters, but for the majority the fans were behind him. GH as Mantis said was very split, but 4% positive? That's quite amazing really. I can accept shit football if you get results, like under MON. But shit football and shit results is just not good enough for this club. So a no for me.

Big NO for me!

I was all for giving McLeish a chance to prove me wrong and hoped that he could, but it all depended upon him changing his previous playing style. The fact that he managed the Bluenoses didn't matter at all to me and I mean that. Let's face it, if he had got them a top 10 finish and a cup win last season, whilst playing attractive football and making good signings, not many of us would have been concerned about his appointment.

The fact that he relegated the noses twice, managed Rangers to 3rd place in a two horse race, made some really poor signings - Zigic, Ridgewell, Davies, Jerome etc - played really negative, dull and defensive football, all added up to a very poor choice of manager for Randy Lerner to make.

I will say one thing in defence of McLeish. I think that you could throw any other manager in the world into our football club and he will still struggle to get us keeping the ball out of our net. I would say that McLeish realises more than anyone how bad our defenders are and that is the reason he is trying to give them as much extra cover as possible. However, that is also is biggest flaw because surely the best thing to do in that situation is to play to our biggest strength, which is our attacking play! I was going to quote Jeremy Clarkson and say that our defenders should all be shot but let's face it, the bullets would miss them all. Those defenders of ours don't get in the way of anything!

Houllier wanted us to play to our strengths last season and had two very good wingers available to him to do so but McLeish does not have this luxury. But, playing Heskey on the wing or in the hole when there are far better players at the club to do so is also a poor showing from him and shows up his lack of competence as a manager in the Premier league. He has a jewel in Bent but seems determined not to play to his strengths for some reason.

I think we can all appreciate Randy's decision to watch the bank balance and the wage bill but to do so whilst having McLeish in charge is just too much for us to take as fans. If we had a manager in charge who tried his very best to get us playing some attractive football then we could probably live with the cut-backs a whole lot more, even if results were not always as expected. But, to see our stars leave and then have to endure the poorest management style ever, well, that is just too much to sit back and watch.

I think the only way we can try to make Randy take real notice is to threaten to stay away. There are 20,000+ of us season ticket holders who have already parted with our hard-earned cash to watch this season unfold. Not too many of those 20,000+ will want to have paid that amount of money and then stay away, especially with the current economic climate. However, I propose that all of us season ticket holders who are against McLeish - together with as many fans who attend random matches - all write to the club, maybe addressing the letter/email to Paul Faulkner or/and Randy himself, expressing our anger and feelings at McLeish and the performance of the team under his management style.

I am going to send my email after the 19th game has been played. Then we will have seen half a season under Mcleish's management. I am going to write to the club stating that, if they fail to employ a new manager by the start of next season, they will have lost me as a season ticket holder, together with my Dad and Brother who feel exactly the same as I do. The three of us are that disappointed with the quality of football that we are seeing that we all feel like we cannot get excited for the upcoming Villa games, which is a bloody terrible state to find yourself in as a lifelong fan of your local club.

I want to go to see my Aston Villa try to win football games, not try to lose by as few as possible! I have had enough of seeing McLeish's boring, defensive, dull, negative, non-imaginative style of, well, I was going to say football but it isn't, is it?

UP THE VILLA!

I'm all up for the non renewal of season tickets as a genuine expression of concern. I travel with three other season ticket holders and on the way up to the game we had all pretty much decided not to renew if McLeish is still in charge next season. I will admit when I saw the team sheet I had a little flicker of hope, but the performance was the same old same old and we left in the same opinion as we arrived. I don't think I would watch this team on the TV never mind pay for a season ticket. I've had a season ticket for some 25 years and we have all been going as a group for the whole time so this is not a decision taken lightly. We have decided that we would be better just going out for a meal and a drink and rely on each others company for the entertainment.

I'm of the firm belief that any manager needs one full season (including preseason) before they can be judged....

... but I also believe McLeish is going to get us relegated. I haven't felt this bad since GT2.

No from me.

As we have 7 people between Villarocker and myself that won't be renewing under McLeish maybe we could keep a running total on here? The odd journo has been noted on here and a public declaration with a total number of unrenewed season tickets may put on more pressure than a private email?

I don't even watch us on TV anymore, let alone going to the games. If I watch it on TV I have to watch it with my house mates and I can't face the shame. It's totally embarrassing. Not only that, but we're utter shit to watch. I actually prefer watching all other teams in the PL now over us. We don't even try and that is much worse than being **** 6-1 by Newcastle

84% is incredible. I actually expected a split. Even GH had more backers.

I don't think anyone was really happy with GH results. I would say there were some, myself included, who were trying to buy into what he was trying to do. I did maintain that for the most part the football was good, and in fact better (if not as effective) as it was under O'Neil.

I normally say a manager should be given half a season. I feel hasty voting NO, but I can't think of one single positive from McLeish's regime and the upcoming fixtures all look a bit "pointless" if you know what I mean.

Up until yesterday I'd have said unsure, but yesterday finished it for me.

I saw the line up - Jenas, Bannan, Herd, Gabby and Albrighton and I thought "Fair play, win lose or draw, at least we are going for it".

Then the game started and what we had was different players, same old system.

All behind the ball, and when we did manage to get it - hoooooof.

Its far too easy to say "we gave it a go second half" , but that was more down to Man U winding down and getting ready for the Champions League than us performing better. The offside goal showed, they could have upped it any time they wished.

Winds me up how everybody thinks Heskey is a joke. That joke missed a clear header yesterday and tried to be Falcao instead of knocking a 5 yard ball to an unmarked Bent.

On those margins relegation is won / lost.

We have 16 points from 14 games. If , as expected, we kick start Boltons season, we then face the prospect of going into the new year on 16 points out of 18 games - THATS 32 POINTS OVER A SEASON !!!.

Relegation form !!!!

He has bought 4 players - one has been good, but is injury prone, and we now face an important spell with a 2nd choice goalie. 1 makes Keiran Dyer look dependable, one makes Balotelli look like a choir boy,and one makes Bernie Gallagher look like Roberto Carlos.

It dont bode well !

Very unhappy.

I gave him a chance, but I've come around to a resounding NO.

I do have some sympathy, as he's inherited a weakened squad and probably has zero budget, but he's supposed to be somebody who's good under those circumstances. He isn't.

He's supposed to be someone who's good with defence and team spirit. He clearly isn't, in either case.

Only thing is, I don't know who to suggest as an alternative that would (a) be gettable and (B) inspire much confidence.

Up until yesterday I'd have said unsure, but yesterday finished it for me.

I saw the line up - Jenas, Bannan, Herd, Gabby and Albrighton and I thought "Fair play, win lose or draw, at least we are going for it".

Then the game started and what we had was different players, same old system.

All behind the ball, and when we did manage to get it - hoooooof.

Its far too easy to say "we gave it a go second half" , but that was more down to Man U winding down and getting ready for the Champions League than us performing better. The offside goal showed, they could have upped it any time they wished.

Winds me up how everybody thinks Heskey is a joke. That joke missed a clear header yesterday and tried to be Falcao instead of knocking a 5 yard ball to an unmarked Bent.

On those margins relegation is won / lost.

We have 16 points from 14 games. If , as expected, we kick start Boltons season, we then face the prospect of going into the new year on 16 points out of 18 games - THATS 32 POINTS OVER A SEASON !!!.

Relegation form !!!!

He has bought 4 players - one has been good, but is injury prone, and we now face an important spell with a 2nd choice goalie. 1 makes Keiran Dyer look dependable, one makes Balotelli look like a choir boy,and one makes Bernie Gallagher look like Roberto Carlos.

It dont bode well !

Very unhappy.

I tend to agree with this although I dont think we will get relegated.

When the team was announced I was quite happy and thought well at least we will give it a go. But then the 451 came out and Bent is hopeless up top on his own.

I do find it hard to blame McLeish for two things though and thats how so many of our players find it difficult to either find space or pass a ball five yards. There is just no excuse for any of these guys not being able to do this and yet so many times and so many of them find it so hard.

Â