Martin O'Neill

maqroll

I know it'll probably be unpopular to say, but I felt sorry for him watching MOTD. You could see how tired he looked and desperately frustrated. Do occasionally miss that touchline enthusiasm. I expect he probably will resign soon if this doesn't change, can't be fun knowing you couldn't bring success to your boyhood club.

• Like 1

No sympathy for the man simply because of the way in which he left us

Also the Sunderland job proves he is a cheque book manager.

Who isn't though? The coaching and tactical aspect of management is so over rated by fans in my opinion. All the top managers seem totally dependent on spending money on transfers and wages. Even Wenger is totally dependent on the quality of his squad and since their wage bill is no longer in the top 2 in the Prem, they've declined dramatically. The most true thing Harry Redknapp ever said was that managers are over rated.

MON has hit the 'Glass Ceiling' a lot lower and a lot quicker than he did at VP. Probably because he hasn't been able to waste shit loads of cash on average players and eek a little more out of them than they would normally be capable of.

• Like 2

i think the rumour at the time was he allegedly walked the monday after the 7-1 defeat and had to be persuaded

Yes I remember getting the text at work, and having to leave the office and go for a walk to compose myself a bit

By the time I got back it had all been denied by the club

Yes I remember after the Chelsea defeat there was talk of him resigning; pity it didnt happen then as everyone and their dog could tell he'd taken us as far as he could, we could have found a decent replacement then and there and things would have probably turned out differently than they did. To be fair the bloated squad we had then was always going to be a ticking time bomb, but at least we could have had more choice in who was appointed. Someone like Martin Jol for instance!

I very much doubt MON will last the season at Sunderland. The momentum has already started, most of the fans up there now think he's outdated and useless. He won't change his tactics, even if they arent working, because he;s too stubborn. Same thing happened here and did the Sunderland fans listen? Did they ****. He's a dead man walking in my opinion.

I'd heard rumblings about 2 months before that 7-1 defeat that all was not well with MON

God knows what was going on behind the scenes, perhaps he'd just got bored

He looks really unhappy and ill actually at Sunderland

I know he lives down by Beaconsfield which was an easy commute to Bodymoor but obviously Sunderland is a different challenge

Thing is if he walks out his cv will be ****

Feel sorry for Martin, he looks bereft of ideas. Inherited a crap side from Bruce and additionally some of the players he is probably relying on like Sessegnon and A. Johnson just aren't performing.

Cattermole and Colback in central midfield rivals ours in terms of lack of quality. Both slow, ponderous players who are completely unable to help that quick transition from defence to attack that Mo'N's teams so often rely on doing.

Â