Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Hang on a minute, how is not liking MON being "stampy-footy sulky-wulky"? :|
Just thought wanting Sunderland to lose just to spite MON was a bit that way. TBH, given the predicament we are in, a 0-0 draw with 3 sendings off each and bad injuries to a few key players on both sides would have been the best outcome for Villa.
Not really. The Villa fans that hate O'Neill are entirely justified in doing so after what he did.
I don't think hatred can ever really be justified. it is a thoroughly regrettable emotion. But which bit of what he did is worth hating? The consistently higher league positions and the fact that we were challenging for top 4 in each of his 3 last seasons with us? The cup appearances at Wembley? the players he brought to Villa, like Young, Milner, Downing, and the ones he brought on to star quality, like Barry, Agbonlahor?

Frankly, I'd gladly take all that back.

Where did I mention hating what he did?

Regardless, that's a very one-sided look on his tenure. While it was relatively successful, he didn't achieve anything spectacular. I'd gladly take the level of spending we had under him, but I wouldn't take the man himself back.

The man does not have a backbone. As soon as he wasn't getting his own way he jumped ship and left us in the sh*t. Do people really not see this?

All the evidence points in a completely different direction, why is it you can't see this?

And by the evidence I mean the result of the tribunal and MON's quote from this week, every other quote on the matter has come from inside the club.

Anyway on to him at Sunderland, pretty amusing that he says he has no problem with Craig Gardner in the week almost bigging him up, then he's nowhere to be seen on match day, not even on the bench as he was the wek before, he was expected to start due to injuries and he wasn't even on the bench.

Anyway on to him at Sunderland, pretty amusing that he says he has no problem with Craig Gardner in the week almost bigging him up, then he's nowhere to be seen on match day, not even on the bench as he was the wek before, he was expected to start due to injuries and he wasn't even on the bench.

Maybe the Gardner's will get heir wish of playing together in the Premiership. Heskey straight swap for Gardner. :?

The man does not have a backbone. As soon as he wasn't getting his own way he jumped ship and left us in the sh*t. Do people really not see this?

All the evidence points in a completely different direction, why is it you can't see this?

And by the evidence I mean the result of the tribunal and MON's quote from this week, every other quote on the matter has come from inside the club.

Agreed.

From The Sun few days ago :-

O'Neill is back from the wilderness and not bitter at the acrimonious way his spell at Villa Park ended last August.

He hinted he was sacked by Randy Lerner but, with fellow American Short, he will at least be given the time to offload Brucie's deadwood before starting over again.

The former Celtic chief said: "It is interesting because, to my discredit, I once broke a contract. But I did not break a contract at Villa. I broke a contract at Norwich after just six months but not at Villa.

Still find it hilarious that it's only a few bitter villa fans that know the true MON.

It was only Blackburn but no surprise his team didn't drop, roll over and die when behind.

He'll have some decent results and some poor results this year but Sunderland fans will still have a manager that excites them for the future and we'll still have Mcleish.

Injured.

MON says it, so it's true?

Managers and player are always more protected than clubs in football, MON could have easily made there be no option but for Villa to 'sack him', even if it was as simple as a massive falling out with Lerner but not accepting mutual consent because he 'technically' hasn't broken a contract.

When he says "i didn't break a contract", it sounds a lot more like "my lawyer found a loophole" to me.

MON says it, so it's true?

Managers and player are always more protected than clubs in football, MON could have easily made there be no option but for Villa to 'sack him', even if it was as simple as a massive falling out with Lerner but not accepting mutual consent because he 'technically' hasn't broken a contract.

When he says "i didn't break a contract", it sounds a lot more like "my lawyer found a loophole" to me.

Neither you nor I know the truth; saying its a loophole, might or might not be the truth, but you haven’t presented any evidence. Lots of hearsay on this, but little real evidence of anything. Neither side comes out of it with little credit, and Villa’s board post MON have looked fairly clueless.

ALL the evidence?

Why would we choose to sack him right before the new season started then, rather than give ourselves the chance to take the summer to sort out a new manager?

And follow it up with a club statement which read "Aston Villa can confirm that Martin O'Neill has resigned as manager of the football club with immediate effect."

If he had been fired, there's no way that a statement like that would have been released, it would have at least been dressed up with the usual 'mutual consent' nonsense.

The board has screwed up a lot over the last 18 months, but let's keep a bit of a grip on reality.

The board and especially the general have spoken shit and looked pathetic and ridiculous since MON left.

No doubt.

But it's an absolutely colossal jump from that to "that means he must have been sacked".

Let's say you'd just been sacked and your employer puts out a sniffy press release saying you'd resigned.

Is there any reason that you, or a man as famously litigious as Martin O'Neill are not going to be heading straight for the libel courts?

The whole thing was a downright mess and nobody comes out of it with any credit, but there's no way on earth he was outright fired.

Anyway back onto the game...

Watched 70 minutes of it and thought Sunderland were really really poor, pretty surprised they won it but it was Blackburn tbf.

Can imagine Larsson will be their poor man's Ashley Young, whipping in crosses and saving the day with free kicks but apart from him and Vaughan, I really don't see too much quality there.

Just annoyed they won in the last minute, can barely recall a time when we did that under MON!

I thought Titus was still suspended by the club aswell?

Â