Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Houllier and Eck have even done that

If Houllier had taken over as Sunderland manager, you can almost guarantee he would have lost that game. Eck would have gone for a draw, and after Sunderland went behind, his plan would have been to keep the score down.

Just like Houllier's first game where we were 1-0 down to Blackburn and won 3-1 ...

or first league game, 1-1 and scored a late winner at Wolves? ;)

misread the quote. :oops:

But lets be honest if Houllier or McLeish had been in charge at Sunderland they would have lost that game :D

But lets be honest if Houllier or McLeish had been in charge at Sunderland they would have lost that game :D
I disagree. Blackburn are dire, and both Houllier and McLeish have beaten them at home this year.

MON is a better motivator than either Houllier or McLeish IMO, and also a much luckier manager. Houllier would have entered that changing room and fallen out with half the players and announced “Traditionally Sunderland are a bottom half team, if not in the championship...”. McLeish would have gone in there and Larsson would have happily told the rest of the changing room how he got relegated with him, and Craig Gardner would have announced a life long love of Newcastle.

So stating facts about Houllier is "Houllier love"? :?

I wasn't a big fan of his but the hatred for him by some is laughable.

quoting some highly selective stats is a bit sneaky and not the sort of behaviour to be encouraged on Villatalk IMO. Who is it who hates Houllier BTW?

Do you not get that whole point I was making, firstly, it wasn't all that serious, hence the wink rather than a very serious comment..

Sunderland, 1-0 down to Blackburn at half-time, won 2-1.

"Houllier would never win a game like that"

His very first game, 1-0 down to Blackburn at half-time, won 3-1 ....do you not see the slightly funny side to the original comment.

think you took it all abit seriously ..

Cripes, if you think I take any of this discussion about Houllier seriously, you really have not been getting the point of my my posts. Let me steer you back to my original response to your post, which included a very early outbreak of :lol: Did that not give you any hint about my state of mind when posting? :)

Houllier would have entered that changing room and fallen out with half the players and announced “Traditionally Sunderland are a bottom half team, if not in the championship...”
He would have then taken the metro to St James Park, raced to the players' tunnel and kissed the black and white scarf above the entrance...

I'm not so sure about that. One thing I've noticed about supporting Villa no matter how well we're doing is a total lack of the delerium of a last minute winner. We certainly concede enough of them though.

The only one that really stands out was at Everton, and that was immediately following an Everton equaliser so I'll put that down to being a glitch in the system.

I'm not so sure about that. One thing I've noticed about supporting Villa no matter how well we're doing is a total lack of the delerium of a last minute winner. We certainly concede enough of them though.

The only one that really stands out was at Everton, and that was immediately following an Everton equaliser so I'll put that down to being a glitch in the system.

Yep. We didn't score that many late winners under MON. Certainly conceded a lot of late goals though that's not something that was exclusive to him.

Off the top of my head a few memorable late winners under Mon:

Maloney against Fulham at VP in Aug 2007

Gabby at Sha in 88th minute to win 2-1 in 2007 and he did something similar in 2009

Ash at Everton to win 3-2

A few memorable last gasp equalisers:

Zat Knight against Arsenal at a packed VP on boxing day 2008 when we came from 2 down to draw 2-2

Barrys pen in injury time that got a point at Chelsea in 4-4 draw after we went down to 10 men

Petrov against Palace in FA Cup

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't take him long....

Gardner at RB and Coleback another midfielder at LB!

Didn’t take him long to motivate the team either...

and another last minute goal

Like I said, and Mark has testified to, we got a few of them while he was with us.

Top manager, top man.

Didn't take him long....

Gardner at RB and Coleback another midfielder at LB!

Didn’t take him long to motivate the team either...

and another last minute goal

Like I said, and Mark has testified to, we got a few of them while he was with us.

Top manager, top man.

Top managers don't buy players on massive wages then not play them because he has a falling out with them. He gets good results but top managers need to know how to manager and he doesn't do that well. I'll give you top motivator but I won't even touch top man.

Â