Martin O'Neill

maqroll

I don't blame Lerner for it, uefa changed the rules, we couldn't carry on like we were, MON didn't want to play that game

what else could Lerner do? Its all well and good saying he should have been tighter but why should he be when he doesn't need to be?!

If he's such a top manager/man why isn't he at a top 4 club? Or even a top 6 club?

Since he left Villa the Liverpool and Chelsea jobs have been made available.

To be honest I think he would do a better job than so called ‘king’ Kenny. But whether he is a great manager or not is not really the point; he would be better than the two full time managers who have ‘replaced’ him. We now have a poor mans MON.

When a manager comes to Villa who gives us some pride back, then all of this will be moot. At the moment we are without pride; everything we gained at Chelsea was wiped out .

To be fair to MON as well at the time those jobs were available (well certainly the plop one, for chelsea AVB had it before Ancellotti got pushed by the way :winkold:) he was unable to take another due to the case that was ongoing with Lerner

Will be proper embarrasing for us if MON wins tomorrow and goes above us.

McLeish - 5 wins all season in 20 games - a joke .

MON - already 3 wins in 5.

IF MON Wins tomorrow they are above us and almost won as many games as McShite has managed all season with a much lesser squad - frankly some key ppl at Villa park should be blushing with deep embarrassment already.

Frankly I would rather have some winning anti-football than some losing anti-football.

The preference has to be no anti-football at all though.

Sure MON played some crap; but it certainly wasn't all anti-football. The second season under MON when we scored bucket loads was very entertaining. McLeish has taken the MON model and taken away all the good bits. If you were a Sunderland fan playing City; what you would be hoping is that the team put in a maximum performance, and pray for a draw; they would have preferred that to losing 6-0 by being cavalier. To win; I am sure they don't care about theories of anti-football.

Frankly I would rather have some winning anti-football than some losing anti-football.

The preference has to be no anti-football at all though.

Sure MON played some crap; but it certainly wasn't all anti-football. The second season under MON when we scored bucket loads was very entertaining. McLeish has taken the MON model and taken away all the good bits. If you were a Sunderland fan playing City; what you would be hoping is that the team put in a maximum performance, and pray for a draw; they would have preferred that to losing 6-0 by being cavalier. To win; I am sure they don't care about theories of anti-football.

Unfortunately most of the O'Neill team's 'entertainment' took place away from Villa Park.

I am sure that you and others would like him back but, as we have learned to our cost, he is more the cancer than the cure.

And I don't give a toss what the preferences of Sunderland supporters are.

If we have a preference between him and Houllier and McLeish, it would be MON. If it were a choice for Villa between MON and say Guus Hidink; well thats a different question. MON is neither a cancer nor the all encompassing solution; he was a little of everything. Its simply not as black and white as some would like it.

As I ve pointed out, no one would care about MON if we were doing well. We aren’t so it becomes legitimate discussion. I wish we didn’t have to talk about him, but frankly McLeish even if had millions to spend wouldn’t be able to do the job.

The original point is that Sunderland had a good result; one of three shocks on that round of games. You said it was anti-football, so I argued it was relevant, and that SUnderland fans, like virtually all fans want to see winning football, before almost anything else. You can brand it anyway you like, but its the only real judge in the end.

Well played to O'Neill. Sunderland to finish above Villa this season.
To be fair, and I rate MON, but finishing above Villa will hardly be a tough job this year

They've only managed it once in about 37 years. However, I agree with O'Neill as their manager they will now finish above us now.

Fair play to their Board for getting rid of a poor manager. As long as their chairman/chief exec control's their finances properly they'll be fine.

Â