Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Apart from quitting, I always thought he showed a lot of respect for Villa during his time here. He had a good grasp of our history and treated the fans with respect, particularly when compared with OLeary and Houllier.

He does seem like a bit of a media darling though. Not sure why, perhaps he spent a lot of time moving in media circles away from Villa Park?

Did anyone else get pissed off with him jumping around on the touchline? And everytime they had a chance, the replay of said chance would be followed with a replay of MON's reaction to said chance?

Seriously...take your dick out of his arse!

Indeed. I probably saw MON yesterday than actual football.

Apart from quitting, I always thought he showed a lot of respect for Villa during his time here. He had a good grasp of our history and treated the fans with respect, particularly when compared with OLeary and Houllier.

He does seem like a bit of a media darling though. Not sure why, perhaps he spent a lot of time moving in media circles away from Villa Park?

He's always been a media darling. He does have charisma.

we may never know the exchanges that went on between Martin O'Neill and the board and it is for everyone to make their own mind up.

was he sacked or did he walk?

for what its worth, i think O'Neill claimed Constructive dismissal and that is pure speculation, because I don't know.

IMO rightly or wrongly O'Neill was asked to cut the wage bill on the back of most of the players that the board were looking at for cuts were not being used regularly on first team duty.

Martin O'Neill is well known for not having interference in team affairs (learn't from the cloughie days I suspect) and interpreted the austerity measures as such.coupled with the departures of his prime stock and I'm sure the Barry saga could have worn him down a tad Plus he was entering a period when most of his recent signings were not showing signs of any quality and his reputation was being questioned a little more.

All managers make mistakes in the transfer market, but the ones that make more bad ones come under more fire..... I suspect Martin was looking for money to bail himself out of some recent dull signings and the money was not forthcoming.

Despite my sympathy with both Randy and Martin, because i can see both their points of view.

It could be deemed as contructive dismissal, hence Martin winning the tribunal.

As for his future at Sunderland..... Not really interested as I suspect he will equally not be interested in us.

You have to love his passion for the game

if was so passionate about the game he wouldnt have walked so close to start of season and would have got on with a shoestring budget if he really did have "passion"

You have to love his passion for the game

if was so passionate about the game he wouldnt have walked so close to start of season and would have got on with a shoestring budget if he really did have "passion"

Unless maybe he'd had the goalposts moved on him one time too many?

Houllier and Eck have even done that

If Houllier had taken over as Sunderland manager, you can almost guarantee he would have lost that game. Eck would have gone for a draw, and after Sunderland went behind, his plan would have been to keep the score down.

Just like Houllier's first game where we were 1-0 down to Blackburn and won 3-1 ...

or first league game, 1-1 and scored a late winner at Wolves? ;)

The man does not have a backbone. As soon as he wasn't getting his own way he jumped ship and left us in the sh*t. Do people really not see this?

All the evidence points in a completely different direction, why is it you can't see this?

ALL the evidence?

Why would we choose to sack him right before the new season started then, rather than give ourselves the chance to take the summer to sort out a new manager?

And follow it up with a club statement which read "Aston Villa can confirm that Martin O'Neill has resigned as manager of the football club with immediate effect."

If he had been fired, there's no way that a statement like that would have been released, it would have at least been dressed up with the usual 'mutual consent' nonsense.

The board has screwed up a lot over the last 18 months, but let's keep a bit of a grip on reality.

Who said we sacked him? The logical conclusion for me is that the board broke the terms of his contract in a game of brinksmanship, they called his bluff but he wasn't bluffing. Now whether that was the desired effect or one they didn't expect, you can only guess at but I suspect it was the former but that is only my guess.

If Houllier had taken over as Sunderland manager, you can almost guarantee he would have lost that game. Eck would have gone for a draw, and after Sunderland went behind, his plan would have been to keep the score down.

We smashed Blackburn at home 4-1 and 3-1 under Houllier and McLeish.

The man does not have a backbone. As soon as he wasn't getting his own way he jumped ship and left us in the sh*t. Do people really not see this?

All the evidence points in a completely different direction, why is it you can't see this?

ALL the evidence?

Why would we choose to sack him right before the new season started then, rather than give ourselves the chance to take the summer to sort out a new manager?

And follow it up with a club statement which read "Aston Villa can confirm that Martin O'Neill has resigned as manager of the football club with immediate effect."

If he had been fired, there's no way that a statement like that would have been released, it would have at least been dressed up with the usual 'mutual consent' nonsense.

The board has screwed up a lot over the last 18 months, but let's keep a bit of a grip on reality.

Who said we sacked him? The logical conclusion for me is that the board broke the terms of his contract in a game of brinksmanship, they called his bluff but he wasn't bluffing. Now whether that was the desired effect or one they didn't expect, you can only guess at but I suspect it was the former but that is only my guess.

Apologies, I thought you were quibbling whether he 'jumped ship' or not. As in, whatever the reasons behind it it was ultimately his decision to leave.

Otherwise, as you were...

That's because MON is the Messiah, and anyone who doesn't believe that is obviously stupid. :winkold:

Just like Houllier's first game where we were 1-0 down to Blackburn and won 3-1 ...

or first league game, 1-1 and scored a late winner at Wolves? ;)

It gets a bit less rosy if you go down the fixture list beyond that, though, doesn't it? :lol: (Good to see there are still some stubborn pockets of Houllier love around the place, though.)

The key thing for Sunderland fans, I guess, is that they would surely have lost if Bruce had still been in charge, so O'Neill's appointment brought an instant reward.

Hope he buys petrov
Bloody hope not.

He may be over the hill and has legs that don't go past 60 mins, but he's the only solid creative player we've got at the moment. Not that we can't have more, we're just not playing them or they're out of form. Or they're non existant (see: Ireland)

Â