Martin O'Neill

maqroll

He'd taken us as far as he could. We would've had a year of two of finishing 8th or 9th under him if he'd stayed on I'm sure.

If he'd resigned the morning after the Blackburn game he'd have got a hero's reception the next time he'd returned.

And yep many times I looked at him managing Sunderland and you could see deep down he knew his last chance of the premier league big time was with us, not them.

• Like 2

He'd taken us as far as he could. We would've had a year of two of finishing 8th or 9th under him if he'd stayed on I'm sure.

If he'd resigned the morning after the Blackburn game he'd have got a hero's reception the next time he'd returned.

And yep many times I looked at him managing Sunderland and you could see deep down he knew his last chance of the premier league big time was with us, not them.

IMO MON would have been in contention for the United job if he had stayed here a little bit longer. There is not a huge difference between David Moyes and Martin O'Neill.

IMO MON would have been in contention for the United job if he had stayed here a little bit longer. There is not a huge difference between David Moyes and Martin O'Neill.

Their transfer work is very, very different.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I know this is in the past, but for me the Mon era was so exciting which so many players that you felt an affinity for, and we played fast break neck speed football, it was entertaining and you always felt you could win a match against anyone.

I guess what I think I'm missing and it might be through naivety, is why do so many of our fans dislike MON? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

I know this is in the past, but for me the Mon era was so exciting which so many players that you felt an affinity for, and we played fast break neck speed football, it was entertaining and you always felt you could win a match against anyone.

I guess what I think I'm missing and it might be through naivety, is why do so many of our fans dislike MON? 

Think it's down to the way he left which with hindsight i'm surprised people are still angry about it. 

Clearly something happened or a decision was made above him that caused him to walk like that. It's something he's never done in previous jobs. Also it became clear soon after how Lerner was planning on running the club and the fact the club agreed to a payout eventually to me suggests it wasn't all one way with MON trying to screw over the club. 

It was a nice period and as you say lots of players i was fond of seeing play for the club. 

Seems like a position we will never get to again at the moment.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Think it's down to the way he left which with hindsight i'm surprised people are still angry about it. 

Clearly something happened or a decision was made above him that caused him to walk like that. It's something he's never done in previous jobs. Also it became clear soon after how Lerner was planning on running the club and the fact the club agreed to a payout eventually to me suggests it wasn't all one way with MON trying to screw over the club. 

It was a nice period and as you say lots of players i was fond of seeing play for the club. 

Seems like a position we will never get to again at the moment.

Oh don't say that! It's already taken away ten years of my football enjoying life! 

I honestly do not understand why some of our fans don't like him, for me he was great, frustrating but also great. 

Many of us rightly had gripes with MON. We were legitimately in with a shout for Champions League football and he'd go and sign players like Marlon Harwood, Emile Heskey, Curtis Davis and Carlos Cuellar. He failed to sign the quality striker we always needed. 

But yeah, all looks look trivial compared with where are now. These would all be nice problems to have right now!

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Biggest mistake Lerner made was not sacking O'Neill 12 months before he quit.

He got a higher points total every single season. Biggest mistake was not working with him for the next phase and causing a walk out when it happened. Lerner had no clue how to run a club, sacking him 12 months earlier would have just meant our decline happened 12 months earlier. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He got a higher points total every single season. Biggest mistake was not working with him for the next phase and causing a walk out when it happened. Lerner had no clue how to run a club, sacking him 12 months earlier would have just meant our decline happened 12 months earlier. 

He wanted sign McGeady to replace Milner and Downing playing centre midfield. Lerner ill let him off that one ;)

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The next phase being leaving Lerner another 250m out of pocket......for zero return.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The next phase being leaving Lerner another 250m out of pocket......for zero return.

What return should it have been? Lerner had no one in place to ensure the finances were kept under control and when you look at the years and money it took teams like spurs and city to become top 4 teams. Expecting MON to do it in 4 years is just stupid. 

Also what was the return for the money he spent after MON? 

Edited by DCJonah

For me, the fourth best manager we've had since I've been following the Villa (ok, since you ask, he's behind Gregory, Little and Atkinson).

Mind you considering the dross we've had, that's nothing to shout about (I think O'Leary technically finished closer to a top four spot than MON ever did).

Â