Martin O'Neill

maqroll

International Football will suit him well. Can't waste loads of money and doesn't really have enough time with the squad to be that tactically demanding. He will give the team a lift and they will play for him.

I think an international manager needs more than that. I mean, Hodgson gets his players playing for him but he's been far from convincing as England manager.

Wouldn't he rather manage Northern Ireland or is he Catholic or something?

Not to put too finer point on, but that doesn't show your grasp of politics on the Emerald Isle to be too great, considering that there are lots of Catholics in Northern Ireland as well- that's the point!

• Like 1

International Football will suit him well. Can't waste loads of money and doesn't really have enough time with the squad to be that tactically demanding. He will give the team a lift and they will play for him.

I think an international manager needs more than that. I mean, Hodgson gets his players playing for him but he's been far from convincing as England manager.

Yeah but we don't really have the players to do much more than what we are doing anyway imo. You won't get an international manager managing England and changing the way kids learn football at grassroots level. That's the problem that needs addressing in regards to English players and the FA have to do it, the current crop of players are performing to the best of their ability imo. If you think a manager will just walk into the English side and change the mentallity, getting them to play pass and move technical football then you're gunna be disappointed. The players weren't brought up that way and will never play that way.

It's the same with ROI, they're never going to win anything really, they just hope to go on a good run at some point, having a man-manager is the best thing for that imo. 

Wouldn't he rather manage Northern Ireland or is he Catholic or something?

Not to put too finer point on, but that doesn't show your grasp of politics on the Emerald Isle to be too great, considering that there are lots of Catholics in Northern Ireland as well- that's the point!

Yeah but don't they normally switch to the Republic of Ireland anyway?

Shock horror. I think he will get the Republic to more tournaments but when they get to them tournaments O Neill would be shown up for the extremely average manager he is. 

Maybe the first point is true, I'm not convinced but time will tell. 100% agree on the second point but **** him, he's a word removed. As a club we are still paying a heavy price for his trophy-less tenure and his hugely expensive short term planning so I have nothing but antipathy for him.

Sorry ROI lads, wish you had gone for someone else as I have relatively warm feelings to the ROI team. Relative to, say Scotland, for example!

Shock horror. I think he will get the Republic to more tournaments but when they get to them tournaments O Neill would be shown up for the extremely average manager he is.

Maybe the first point is true, I'm not convinced but time will tell. 100% agree on the second point but **** him, he's a word removed. As a club we are still paying a heavy price for his trophy-less tenure and his hugely expensive short term planning so I have nothing but antipathy for him.

Sorry ROI lads, wish you had gone for someone else as I have relatively warm feelings to the ROI team. Relative to, say Scotland, for example!

With the Euros about to go to 24 teams I'd say his job in that regard has just become a whole lot easier. No doubt if we qualify, history (and his BBC friends) will gloss over the increased tournament size and focus on him being some kind of a miracle worker.
  • Like 1

International management is what MON was born to do. Give him a reasonable standard of player and he'll convince them they're world beaters and they will massively over achieve. 

Over a a month long tournament he won't have to manage fatige and he doens't have to worry about buying players which removes two of his worse flaws in a single stroke. 

Yes he's a notorious word removed but Id have him managing England over Woy anyday of the week. 

Edited by Eames

I think ROI have the type of players MON could work well with: a lot of grafters and the odd gem e.g. James McCarthy. No Heskey substitute up front, though. He's buggered without a target man.

Conor Sammon

Will be interesting to see how he works with Roy Keane. Half time team talks could be explosive!

Yes its difficult to say. You're only as good as the players you have. Jack Charlton was blessed with some quality players and got the best out of them. I don't dislike Oneill. I think he's a good motivator. Some of his signings were  very good some were very bad. There was little inbetween. He was right about Ireland and didnt't want bent when he had the chance.

Interesting comments from Ireland yesterday regarding the past at Villa

Yes, Martin O'Neill signed me for Villa," said Ireland, "but that was at five and he had resigned by 12

so he did actually sign Ireland

The timeline makes this one less than straight forward. I've no doubts that MON agreed to Ireland + cash for Milner. But then MON left while the deal was held up on the Citeh side because of the payoff Ireland was demanding for taking the drop in wages. At that point, sans manager, Villa probably should have called a halt to the deal or at the very least called a halt to the Ireland exchange part of it and demanded all-cash for Milner. Now it's possible (nay likely) that we couldn't do that without paying a penalty but either way we effectively ended up signing a player without having a manager in place. Even though we probably had our hands tied to an extent.

Interesting comments from Ireland yesterday regarding the past at Villa

Yes, Martin O'Neill signed me for Villa," said Ireland, "but that was at five and he had resigned by 12

Ahem...

9 August 2010: Martin O'Neill leaves Aston Villa

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/7935179/Martin-ONeill-resigns-as-Aston-Villa-manager.html

18 August 2010: Stephen Ireland signs for Aston Villa

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2126892,00.html

So he actually didn't sign Ireland, unless he did it freelance.

Â