Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Gave us some of the best, most memorable years…

and they would have continued too…

if it wasn’t for those stinking Sheikhs buying Man City and then signing us into relegation and pulling up the FFP drawbridge…

I distinctly remember Lerner being against the FFP rules…

It is all their fault… MON, Lerner and, more importantly, Aston Villa are completely blameless

😁

Habib Beye. Nicky Shorey. Moustapha Salifou. Wayne Routledge.

I'm going to exclude Shaun Maloney from this list though on the basis that he scored a good few goals for us, but was also another one that MON signed and then put on the scrapheap for reasons only known to MON.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

I'm going to exclude Shaun Maloney from this list though on the basis that he scored a good few goals for us, but was also another one that MON signed and then put on the scrapheap for reasons only known to MON.

Wayne Routledge played about 250 Premier League games after that and he never got a sniff here. Think he played in Europe and a cup final

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wayne Routledge played about 250 Premier League games after that and he never got a sniff here. Think he played in Europe and a cup final

Exactly, I thought he did really well at Swansea and made a decent impression at Newcastle too, which makes his omission from MON's teams all the more baffling.

12 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Exactly, I thought he did really well at Swansea and made a decent impression at Newcastle too, which makes his omission from MON's teams all the more baffling.

Routledge.

He was brought at a reasonable price 1.5 mill at 23 years old, where as petrov cost 6.5 mil a few years earlier.We got a loan fee and 0.6 mil in sales. He was not a bad player but a squad player with better players in front of him and a future. It didtn work out spent a few years in the championship before got a small number of Premier League games with Newcastle before returning to the championship. It wasnt till 2011 just before the usual peak age for a footballer that he became a regular in the Premier League.

I would say a punt that didnt quite come off. Compared to Jean Macoun, Pierres, Steve Ireland, Pires, Brett Holman, Scott Hogan he wasnt that bad.

2 minutes ago, captain said:

Routledge.

He was brought at a reasonable price 1.5 mill at 23 years old, where as petrov cost 6.5 mil a few years earlier.We got a loan fee and 0.6 mil in sales. He was not a bad player but a squad player with better players in front of him and a future. It didtn work out spent a few years in the championship before got a small number of Premier League games with Newcastle before returning to the championship. It wasnt till 2011 just before the usual peak age for a footballer that he became a regular in the Premier League.

I would say a punt that didnt quite come off. Compared to Jean Macoun, Pierres, Steve Ireland, Pires, Brett Holman, Scott Hogan he wasnt that bad.

Or a young player that needed coaching not 4 days a week off 😉

• Like 1

Leicester and Celtic both hit financial problems similar to us when he left. Bobo Balde 40k a week, probably nobody at Celtic/Rangers are getting that wage now

People were hyped because the media bizarrely built him up as Fergie successor. Looking back now its comical

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

All rather telling that Kendrick let MON ramble on about the young players he had, failing to mention how he let Cahill leave so he could sign Zat Knight and spending £10m on Curtis Davies.

And then made curt delay having a shoulder op and the guy was playing with a **** shoulder. When he play and said he was in too much pain now and needed a op MON froze him out. Guys a rocket polisher

The players even sent each other a image of champagne when mon went. He was becoming very unpopular with the 1st team

8 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

"The bottom line is that if you were asking me now - and in fact even if you'd asked me maybe a year after events - then I would certainly have stayed on at the football club and pushed on," revealed O'Neill.

Of course you would, you realised no-one else would touch you with a ten foot barge pole. Prick.

22 hours ago, The_Steve said:

All rather telling that Kendrick let MON ramble on about the young players he had, failing to mention how he let Cahill leave so he could sign Zat Knight and spending £10m on Curtis Davies.

He did discuss Cahill. In detail. Did you listen to the whole interview?

On 10/11/2022 at 10:44, DeadlyDirk said:

[Quoting from the Mail] "O'Neill, who took legal advice before handing his resignation to chief executive Paul Faulkner on August 8, later went on to win a case of constructive dismissal".

He didn't win a case of constructive dismissal. No verdict was reached by the Tribunal, as the two parties reached an agreement (of which we know no details at all).

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 16:05, DeadlyDirk said:

Maloney was homesick from day one in fairness so that's not one you can pin on MON. Would've turned out to be a bargain if he'd settled in Brum as he scored some nice goals off the bench and would've continue being a good squad player which we really lacked in those times.

Really wished Kendrick had asked him about Habib Beye but guess one of the conditions of the interview was he wouldn't be asked about the poor transfers. Anyway we gave Beye a 3 year deal for player in his late 20s when we already had Luke Young as regular RB....and then three games into the season he decides to play Cuellar there!

Â