Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

I've seen Gazza and Scholes mentioned.

Absolutely ridiculous !! They are the two best footballers England have produced in the last 20 years.

:shock:

Which is why I think he is overrated because people believed that of Gazza. He had the potential to be, and a decent world cup, but Beckam, Platt, Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard are all better players then Gazza was, with far less talent.

Sir Graham Taylor said on 5 Live, that watching him against Spain made him think that he'll never be International class as a midfielder. SGT has forgotten more about football, than most will ever know, so I'll take his opinion on that.

I suspect GT is right, he's no mid.

He's a defender with a misplaced sense of grandeur, hence those dumb, dumb runs. And if he can't wean himself off 'marauding forward' (vomit). he at least needs to solidify his defensive game first.

Absolutely ridiculous !! They are the two best footballers England have produced in the last 20 years.

Which is why I think he is overrated because people believed that of Gazza. He had the potential to be, and a decent world cup, but Beckam, Platt, Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard are all better players then Gazza was, with far less talent.

I think the only English player who was on the same level as Gascoigne in that era was LeTissier. Both phenomenal natural talents. But Gascoigne **** up so many times he never came close to achieving what he should have done.

I like Phil Jones. I actually thin khe'll be a great pllayer.

But I do agree he's getting hyped too much.

On Saturday when the commentator declared he was a future England captain I just thought "How the **** do you know that?"

He didn't even ask it as a question. He just declared it to be a fact.

It's ITV. That should explain it.

How can you be a better player if you're less talented ?

Talent would be my first point of call when classing a player . :?

It's all about the application. Look at Stephen Ireland for example. Supposed to be a very talented player but not very good at applying it.

They've all ACHIEVED more than Gazza. But that doesn't make them better players.

I ment natural ability more than "talent". I really don't know where all this "greatest player of his generation" bollocks turned up from in the last few years either. He played well and got into the England team in 89, then had a good World Cup where people liked him

because he cried. Then he had a inconsistent 90-91 season but helped the presses favourite team to the FA cup final where he sadly injured himself in the most ridiculous cup final performance I've ever seen. He was average in Italy and excellent in the pub league north of hadrian's wall, where he was yet again average in his final years in England. He has an FA cup and a couple of Scottish titles to his name. Yet some people call his the greatest English player of the last 25 years...don't make me laugh.

Patrice Evra. I always though he was class, right up there with the best ...I think plenty held or hold that view but everytime I've watched him past year, I think he's been pretty average. Defensively suspect.

agree with you for once, if he played for bolton or blackburn, no-one would rate him

Â