Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

disagree eames, you make it sound like henry was a good palyer but not a great one when to be fair to him and the arsenal fans that voted for him he was easily the most exciting player in the prem, as good as bergkamp was he was nowhere near as exciting, didnt play as fast, didnt score as many goals or as many great goals and his ability with the ball was far more subtle IMO than henry's, like i said before it really isnt that shocking that he won

i do agree with ramos though, his positional sense is shocking his technique at times is poor and he has an awful red/yellow card record, his athleticism lets him get away with a lot IMO

disagree eames, you make it sound like henry was a good palyer but not a great one when to be fair to him and the arsenal fans that voted for him he was easily the most exciting player in the prem, as good as bergkamp was he was nowhere near as exciting, didnt play as fast, didnt score as many goals or as many great goals and his ability with the ball was far more subtle IMO than henry's, like i said before it really isnt that shocking that he won

i do agree with ramos though, his positional sense is shocking his technique at times is poor and he has an awful red/yellow card record, his athleticism lets him get away with a lot IMO

I've expressed it very poorly but that is what I was getting at.... Henry is rightly an Arsenal legend, absolutely and grabbed the headlines often correctly. But Bergkamp knitted that team together so well - he was the magic that made that side work.

eg. Alan Shearer or Dennis Bergkamp.... who is the better player?

Both were fantastic players. At the peak of their powers would play in any team in the PL. So I don’t think you can say one is a better player?

As an all round footballer (which is what the original debate stemmed from), Bergkamp is far superior to Shearer/Henry.

Who is the better goalscorer (changing the goal posts), well that is clearly Shearer/Henry.

In answer to Eames question, Bergkamp for me was the better footballer.

I think people are getting mixed up between an allround footballer and a goalscorer.

Figo, Zidane, Nedved, Scholes etc. all superb footballers.

Ronaldo (the proper one), Fowler, Shearer, Baggio etc. all superb goalscorers.

I've expressed it very poorly but that is what I was getting at.... Henry is rightly an Arsenal legend, absolutely and grabbed the headlines often correctly. But Bergkamp knitted that team together so well - he was the magic that made that side work.

Spot on mate. :thumb:

Henry grabbed the headlines, but it was Bergkamp imo who, like you say, "knitted it all together" and made it possible.

I actually think Paul is the one that isn't confused. They are both footballers and the intention is to win football games. The fact that both had slightly different jobs towards the same goal (pun intended) doesn't mean one is better than the other. I think Paul is right. You can't pick one because they were both equally good at the jobs they did. Both world class and would stroll into any PL side of their day. The fact one might be better at keepy-uppies is immaterial when it comes to winning football games.

Thought i'd bump this up as after watching him for a while I am convinced he is overrated..

Gerard Pique.

Not a chance.

If I was to pick a world XI, he'd be one of the CBs

He really isn't that good.

I'd say Pepe's better than Pique

It's just that he's mental, and gets sent off that people think he's crap.

But the way Madrid play Pepe has to be near on perfect with everything he does, if you put Pique in Pepe's place he would struggle to be like the player he is for Barca. Still a great CB though.

Both were fantastic players. At the peak of their powers would play in any team in the PL. So I don’t think you can say one is a better player?

As an all round footballer (which is what the original debate stemmed from), Bergkamp is far superior to Shearer/Henry.

Who is the better goalscorer (changing the goal posts), well that is clearly Shearer/Henry.

I think people are getting mixed up between an allround footballer and a goalscorer.

I agreed with you right up to Baggio!. Superb footballer

For your education:

a real hero for me.

the joys of opinions!

pepe IMO is a shockingly bad player/thug who shouldnt be anywhere near madrids team, the last thing i can remember him doing isnt the hand stamp its standing there completely blank as puyol scores a diving header past him, the ball had hit the net before pepe even knew puyol was there

i dont rate any of madrids back 4, the lines they hold are terrible

the joys of opinions!

pepe IMO is a shockingly bad player/thug who shouldnt be anywhere near madrids team, the last thing i can remember him doing isnt the hand stamp its standing there completely blank as puyol scores a diving header past him, the ball had hit the net before pepe even knew puyol was there

i dont rate any of madrids back 4, the lines they hold are terrible

He has his moments of shutting off, a lot of CB's do but he was also probably Madrid's MOM (I think he may have been wrongly sent off in that game too) when asked to play in midfield against Barca, and he is often left as the last defender for them where he has to get it right and usually does. Pique couldn't do what he does. A lot of CB's couldn't.

There really aren't too many great CB's around right now though, I'd say Thiago Silva's the top of them.

if you put Pique in Pepe's place he would struggle to be like the player he is for Barca. Still a great CB though.

Though I agree i'd say he would struggle in most other teams too to be honest.. As Zatman posted out he is a good footballer but not so good defender.

I would add Hulk to the list too but to be honest I've only seen him a handful of times and his goalscoring record is pretty decent so obviously something isn't right there. :lol:

For your education:

a real hero for me.

He liked the old curler into the far top corner didnt he! :D

For your education:

a real hero for me.

Yup. A proper master!

The world cup penalty miss was so fitting. What use is an Italian Opera withoud the tragedy.

Man crush!

While not using this arguement as in footballer v goalscorer, feast your eyes:

I actually think Paul is the one that isn't confused. They are both footballers and the intention is to win football games. The fact that both had slightly different jobs towards the same goal (pun intended) doesn't mean one is better than the other. I think Paul is right. You can't pick one because they were both equally good at the jobs they did. Both world class and would stroll into any PL side of their day. The fact one might be better at keepy-uppies is immaterial when it comes to winning football games.

Knew as always you would be the one who saw sense! :D

For your education:

a real hero for me.

Not sure Bergkamp was far superior to Henry as a footballer. He was definately more than just a great goalscorer.

I agree Wainy, Henry was more then just a great goalscorer. Someone you could say was just a great goalscorer but nothing more is our man D Bent. But like most things in life it is all about opinions. But we all agree they were both great players.

Thought i'd bump this up as after watching him for a while I am convinced he is overrated..

Gerard Pique.

Not a chance.

If I was to pick a world XI, he'd be one of the CBs

He really isn't that good.

I'd say Pepe's better than Pique

It's just that he's mental, and gets sent off that people think he's crap.

But the way Madrid play Pepe has to be near on perfect with everything he does, if you put Pique in Pepe's place he would struggle to be like the player he is for Barca. Still a great CB though.

I'm astounded that anyone would rate Pepe as being better than Pique.

Pique's right up there for me. A proper cultured CB.

He's different to pepe for sure. Pepe would be more like Puyol for a direct comparison.

Pique, Thiago Silva and Lucio are probably my top 3 CBs right now.

Â