Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

Nonsense. I remember that season he joined Utd - they were struggling a little bit until he arrived at xmas (?). Remember at this point Utd hadn't won a title for decades. Cantona joined, and all of a sudden everything clicked for Utd - they went on to win the title by some distance, and from then went on to win.. .well, pretty much everything over the next few years, including the double twice. Cantona was the spark that kickstarted Fergie's dominance for years to come.

People were talking about Ibrahimovic winning titles... Cantona just the same. 6 titles in 7 years - one with Marseille, one with Leeds, then 4 in 5 years with Utd. The only year Utd didn't win a title while Cantona was playing for them was the season he got banned for the kung fu kick.

So in short, his influence at Utd was absolutely immense, which is why Utd fans regard him as one of their greatest ever players. Certainly there have been better players, but as a contender for "most overrated player in football history"... laughable.

i agree that he was hugely influential for utd but there were alot of factors that clicked into place perfectly for utd in the prems early years, they hardly ahd a bad set up did they? for a start they had a proper world class player in goal, he wasnt this mind blowingly talented up there with the best ever player that utd fans make him out to be, id add lack of knowledge of foreign football to my previous list

look at who was around at the same time, laudrup for example, a far better player, id throw in hagi too, and as i said before he wasnt IMO as good as bergkamp

if you look at his record in the CL and with France he was shocking in big games, look at what happened after he retired, france won the world cup, utd won the treble

never seen the fuss and never will

Beckham. Good at set pieces and a decent passer/crosser. Never had any pace, couldn't beat a player and rarely scored goals from open play. A run of the mill international player that only due to good marketing became the biggest name on the planet.

Beckham. Good at set pieces and a decent passer/crosser. Never had any pace, couldn't beat a player and rarely scored goals from open play. A run of the mill international player that only due to good marketing became the biggest name on the planet.

THAT...is an absalutely **** ludicrous statement! :shock:

EDIT: Just read the first couple of pages and noticed this stunner...

I'm gonna raise the debate by entering with Paul Gascoigne.

Seriously...WTF!?!? :shock:

saw thread title and could only be about 1 player :D

Have to say he does score goals vs the Almeria, Catanias of this world but in big games for club and country he goes AWOL.

Watched the game on friday might be a friendly but its a huge game denmark vs sweden especially as he is from malmo and he gets lots of abuse of Danes but was one of worst performances by a player ive ever see

Some ridiculous suggestions in this thread, imo.

Gascoine, Cantona, Beckham?!

(I understand that being overrated doesn't necessarily mean you're shit. But still I can't believe they're the most overrated player of all time)

Currently I'd say Gareth Bale. A very good player. but nowhere near the player he's made out to be.

Mario Gomez would be another. His record seems to be really good but whenever I watch him he looks shite.

Most overrated ever? tough one, might be someone like Robinho for me

Â