Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

Its not just tonights England vs Sweden game. I've watched Zlatan Ibrahimović for a number of years, playing for some of the biggest clubs in Europe. quite frankly id rather have kenny miller playing for my team. with that in mind, who do you believe is the most overrated player in football?

Past or present?

In the past I'd probably say the countless number of Spurs players who managed to sneak into the England squad in the 1990s and last decade just because they played for the little media darling's team.

Currently, I'm not so sure as I dont watch any football apart from Villa. But I do know that we robbed Liverpool blind for Stewart Downing, so my vote would currently be him....

If you also go on an old version of Football Manager you can see who was overrated at the time and how they turned out. Whatever happened to that chap called "Keirrison" for example?

Got to disagree about downing mate. not because I think he is world class, but because no one thinks he is world class. the question is those that are vastly overrated.

I don't think Downing is worth anywhere near £20 million, so I guess its just horses for courses.

I don't think Jordan Henderson will be the prodigy which Liverpool shelved out £ 16 million for, so I guess he's vastly overrated.

If you also go on an old version of Football Manager you can see who was overrated at the time and how they turned out. Whatever happened to that chap called "Keirrison" for example?

barca bought him but didn't register him as 1 of their 3 non eu players and loaned him to santos where afaik he's doing ok

IMO it's one of the prems golden generation, terry, lampard, gerrard etc and the idea that being one of the prems best players automatically made you world class which simply isn't true

barca bought him but didn't register him as 1 of their 3 non eu players and loaned him to santos where afaik he's doing ok

IMO it's one of the prems golden generation, terry, lampard, gerrard etc and the idea that being one of the prems best players automatically made you world class which simply isn't true

Terry would be in my top 5.

Its not just tonights England vs Sweden game. I've watched Zlatan Ibrahimović for a number of years, playing for some of the biggest clubs in Europe. quite frankly id rather have kenny miller playing for my team. with that in mind, who do you believe is the most overrated player in football?

Zlatan is a superb player, one of the best ever to grace Serie A. I am not sure you can judge him on the back of a few games against England or English clubs in the Champions League.

Zlatan is a superb player, one of the best ever to grace Serie A. I am not sure you can judge him on the back of a few games against England or English clubs in the Champions League.

We must agree to disagree than mate.

We must agree to disagree than mate.

At much as I detest him and the twattiness of his persona, overrated is not the problem.

Apps - Goals

Ajax 106 47

Juve 91 26

Inter 116 66

Barca 42 22 (widely regarded as a failure of a season)

Milan 50 30

2 dutch league titles

6 italian league titles (2 revoked)

1 spanish league title

It's not a fluke. The man delivers, apart from CL and the national squad, ( though a ratio of 67 28 is not crap)

Yeah the people that always go on about Zlatan being shit are generally people who don't watch any other leagues apart from the Premiership, then judge him in pointless friendlies like tonight or when Sweden do shit at World Cups

His record at winning titles is ridiculous and he scores some incredible goals, but they're not on MOTD so they probably don't count :P

He can come across as disinterested and lazy but that's just his demeanor which won't change now.

I think Ashley Cole's form has dipped of late, he is the wrong side of 30 now but he has been constantly fantastic for a decade. He has a large stack of silverware (three league titles, six FA cups) for good reason.

I think this thread highlights it is difficult to define what over rated means though. I dont think there is much debate when it comes to a huge transfer fee not being lived up to on the pitch, Andy Carroll is your man there but there are other ways to define it. I'd throw in Cantona. I think he was a superb player, but Manchester United fans of a certain age talk about him like he invented football or something when the truth is that he was a man who happened to be in the right place at the right time. I dont think he would have got near the starting XI in either of their European Cup winning sides under Fergie and is so far from an all time Premier League XI he wouldnt even make the squad of 25, yet they sing his name every week at Old Trafford.

Quite.

The main difference between Ibrahimovic and Eric Cantona is that Cantona was scoring great goals in England and inspiring English teams to league titles.

Not much else between them, even down to their disappointing International and European Cup form.

Â