Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

Mario Gomez would be another. His record seems to be really good but whenever I watch him he looks shite.

think he has 25 goals this season but when i watch him he looks like Michael Ricketts

When I watch him it looks like he's got Ricketts

But that's my point. His record is extremely good. And I acknowledge that I don't watch him enough to have an educated view on him.

But I've never seen him for club or country look anything other than average

Steven Gerrard. definition of Hollywood player, can score great goals for the cameras but not as great as media makes you believe.

Guti- how he played 14 years for Real Madrid is a mystery

Roberto Carlos - same as Gerrard

Steven Gerrard. definition of Hollywood player, can score great goals for the cameras but not as great as media makes you believe.

Guti- how he played 14 years for Real Madrid is a mystery

Roberto Carlos - same as Gerrard

Cant agree with Gerard mate, he has carried Liverpool for nearly 12 years. Superb player.

Gerrard is a very good player and probably should have left the Liverpool comfort zone a long time ago but in centre midfield (his and Sky favoured Gerrard position) he was average. his best performances were behind Torres or on the right and Rafa got unfairly slaughtered for playing him there

I always remember the 1st half of Champions LEague final in 2005 he was like a rabbit in headlights playing centre midfield

Modric.

Don't get where the idea he's one of the worlds best comes from. Obviously talented, good player, but the way people go on about him you'd think he was incredible, once in a lifetime, awe inspiring. He isn't.

Agree Chindie, whilst he has all the attributes to become a great defender, he still has a long way to go. He is positionally suspect and plays in a defense that has been shipping goals at an alarming rate for a title contender.

Also I will get in a prediction for the next 6 months.....Jack Rodwell.

was thinking same thing, have never really seen anything in Rodwell that has got him this hype.

One seasons worth of Phil Jones bumming might have him up there. It's getting tiresome already.

he has enormous potential but future England captain is a bit premature,

He is the new Duncan Edwards. Haven't you heard? :winkold:

I agree vomit inducing!

Agree Chindie, whilst he has all the attributes to become a great defender, he still has a long way to go. He is positionally suspect and plays in a defense that has been shipping goals at an alarming rate for a title contender.

Whenever I've watched Manchester United this season it's actually annoyed me how often he does that 'running from the backline' thing. He constantly does it, gets plaudits from every tom dick and harry for it, and then theres much shuffling of feet and changing of the subject when it goes wrong and leads to a chance or even a goal, as it has more than once.

A month or so ago United conceded a header because he made a massive defensive error, completely lost his man and failed to challenge for the ball at all, watch MOTD later and all Lawro says is 'Jones has got to do better'. If that was any other bloke, they'd have slaughtered him.

I've no doubt he could be a superb player, the talents there for sure, but the current ritual masturbatory session to everything he does is absurd imo.

Peter Cech, Gourcuff.

Also I will get in a prediction for the next 6 months.....Jack Rodwell.

I just don't see anything in him.

IMO him and Jones will be top players.

Zatman is right. Jones does have potential. The problem is just because he is at United it means he is already a media darling.

Rodwell I disagree. Seems very average to me.

Doesn't affect a game.

He is the new Duncan Edwards. Haven't you heard? :winkold:

I agree vomit inducing!

Whenever I've watched Manchester United this season it's actually annoyed me how often he does that 'running from the backline' thing. He constantly does it, gets plaudits from every tom dick and harry for it, and then theres much shuffling of feet and changing of the subject when it goes wrong and leads to a chance or even a goal, as it has more than once.

A month or so ago United conceded a header because he made a massive defensive error, completely lost his man and failed to challenge for the ball at all, watch MOTD later and all Lawro says is 'Jones has got to do better'. If that was any other bloke, they'd have slaughtered him.

I've no doubt he could be a superb player, the talents there for sure, but the current ritual masturbatory session to everything he does is absurd imo.

Sir Graham Taylor said on 5 Live, that watching him against Spain made him think that he'll never be International class as a midfielder. SGT has forgotten more about football, than most will ever know, so I'll take his opinion on that.

Maicon

i havent seen too much of him but i agree

and it was all very sky like how because maicon is world class and bale slaughtered him bale became world class over night rather than taking the more sensible approach of thinking that maicon was a little bit shit

I like Phil Jones. I actually thin khe'll be a great pllayer.

But I do agree he's getting hyped too much.

On Saturday when the commentator declared he was a future England captain I just thought "How the **** do you know that?"

He didn't even ask it as a question. He just declared it to be a fact.

Â